IGNORED

240z Audio System

red_dog007

I own a 70' and it too only came with 1 speaker on the left rear quarter. So I took the speaker plate and duplicated it in reverse using 1/8" ABS plastic.

I did this because I did'nt want to put holes in the plastic interior peice.

I then used "Slim" style pioneer 5 1/2" 2-way speakers. With the exception that they are aimed at each other, they sound pretty good. But me being me, I went ahead and put 4" kicker A400 2-ways in the doors. The P.O. had already cut small holes in the door panel so I figured it could'nt hurt to fill the holes.

I also made a fiberglass enclosure in the wheel well for a 12" MTX subwoofer. It only fills the well 2/3 of the way, which left room for a 200 watt sub-amp to sit next to the box in the wheel well.

I obviosly had to run all new speaker, power and RCA wires but I used stock locations and wrapped them to look like a stock harness. I also ran a pin switch wire for the alarm and new power antenna power wires.

But after all this, you only see the door speakers and pioneer CD player, which also has XM Satelite Radio (tucked under the dash) and I'll be putting in a 4 channel amp behind the seat where the car jack used to go. Then I'll make a cover for it that will resemble the old style jack cover. I'll most likely use 1/16" ABS for that.

One of the previous owners of my car cut 6x9 holes in the two tool compartments. I am presently running a pair of 6x9 Pioneer three-ways in these holes. The fit is not the best and it is on my list of things to do. I plan on putting some Dynamat or equivalent in the compartments and on the underside of the compartment lids. I am also going to shape the hole better.

Dave (Zs-ondabrain),

So am I correct that you travel without a spare tire? Which is also why you travel without a jack? I like the idea of the hidden sub but don't like the idea of no spare... I do too many distance trips for that to be an option. I remember some time ago that Pioneer had subs that mounted inside the rim of a spare tire. Hmmm maybe I'll just stick to the idea of building an MSA style box for an 8" and two 5.25"s or just two 6" woofers.

Red Dog... Have you come up with a firm idea/plan yet? I'll be interested in seeing your approach...

Don't cut any holes unless you absolutely must.

Why not look into getting yourself some 1" speakers that mount directly on your pillar, either the A pillar, or perhaps the shock pillar (be creative)

Here is an example

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8210777&st=car+speakers&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1166236336377

sorry, no photo

Might I also suggest that you visit a local custom audio shop, they often have goodies available for the hot rodders (hidden components/speakers-premium sound) that big box stores may not have.

Hey Ramses, that's a smart move to keep it. They keep coming up on eBay for like $250!!! I'll keep looking.

Thanks --Bob

Hey Bob,

I am going to keep it. I was thinking about installing it with a speaker making sure that it is working and put the aftermarket radio in the glove box. I have to figure out how to install it in the glove box. It will fit and make it more original looking. If I change my mind, I will PM you.

Ramses-

I once installed that style setup in a friends all orginal '81 Camaro... came out real nice, and the glove box is made of hard cardboard so it was easily reversible. My friend has similar setup in his '65 beetle and for the VW's they have a ABS plastic or fiberglass? insert that is sized up for a DIN radio.. maybe you could adapt one into the Z? Just a thought.

Dave (Zs-ondabrain),

So am I correct that you travel without a spare tire? Which is also why you travel without a jack? I like the idea of the hidden sub but don't like the idea of no spare... I do too many distance trips for that to be an option. I remember some time ago that Pioneer had subs that mounted inside the rim of a spare tire. Hmmm maybe I'll just stick to the idea of building an MSA style box for an 8" and two 5.25"s or just two 6" woofers.

YUP! Thank god for AAA and my best friend who drives a tow truck. I always keep up on all my maintenance (both tires and motor). I usually only drive within a 30 mile radius and if I'll be traveling any farther than that, I carry a spare. I'm nuts, but not totally stupid :stupid:

You were right about Pioneer making a "Spare Tire Sub" I'm not sure if they still make it but it was a great idea at the time. My wheel well sub enclosure only takes up 2/3 of the wheel, I'm also going to move the amp that sits next to the sub in the wheel well to the area behind the passenger side seat.

Which will free up room for a small jack, and other tire repair stuff. Not to mention flares, flags, oil, spare plugs, rags, wire repair items and fuses.

And I ALWAYS carry a small tool bag that has every metric wrench and socket neccesary to probably tear the whole car apart with. ALWAYS!!

post-4921-1415079955731_thumb.jpg

I looked into this myself, I'll share in case it helps...

My first thought was to mount two speakers, one in the original location, and one opposite it, there are even some bolt-on brackets you can find if you search around the web (http://www.carspeakerbrackets.com/ for one, not sure if he is still selling them). However, I found a few issues with that plan. For one thing, the fuel hoses left very little room for a speaker there. For another, the speaker placement and direction is, at best, sub-optimal, especially if you dont have any 2-ways or high ends somewhere else in the car (the highs in your sound, where you get all your melody, are extremely directional, where lows can be facing and where and it wont adversely affect sound quality too greatly; those rear speakers face each other from behind the towers and I just wasnt confident it would sound good).

I looked into the box from motorsport, and the near-identical one from z specialties, and they seemed a good route. Ultimately, I ended up pulling the headlight access panels off the rear panel, drilling holes and mounting speakers in there. Visibly, it is the least intrusive application in my opinion, but it isn't without its flaws. For one thing, it is destructive (those two panels are easily replaced, but still worth noting). For another, it is tough to find speakers that fit just so (I went with these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8208361&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03078&id=1165610947779). Lastly, that back panel needs to really be mounted tightly to eliminate rattle -- can be tricky, but doable. Oh, and speaker baffles help loads with wound quality.

Hope that helps, and best of luck to you!

I suggest you check out the 6x9 rear speaker box sold by Motorsport Auto. It's a replacement for the rear interior taillight panel. The quality is excellent and it fits very nice. Check out some of the photos in my gallery:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3352&page=3

Yeah, I was also thinking about building myself something like that. Take out the rear panel and throw in a hand made speaker box. Was also thinking about doing that for right behind the sets for some possible subs if I don't get a bazooka tube.

In between all the body I've been doing, I've also been working on this idea..... Read the whole thing before deciding.....

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24059&highlight=280Z+speakers

As for your comment, mimregi You are correct about the sound quality but with the front speakers that I have, The rear speakers act more like rear fill. The sound is worse without the rear speakers. As for the fit near all the fuel lines, I mentioned Pioneer "SLIM" style speakers. They fit great without interfearing with the fuel lines. Alpine and Kenwood also make a speaker that is thin enough to fit beautifully.

The 6X9 box offered by MSA and Z-Specialties are Identical, the enclosures are made here in the Northwest near Lake Stevens, Washington. Z-Specialties pushes alot of them because Oliver, the owner, Knows the guy that makes them. The Manufacturer pretty much only sells them to Oliver and MSA.

Make sure you carry around a Philips screw driver with you cause you have to remove the 6X9 enclosure to get to the spare tire or put the carpet back properly.

Let me know what you think of the Strut tower speaker enclosure. If I get enough requests, I'll start getting to a final product.....

Dave.

The strut tower speakers sound like a fantastic idea =)

I definitely wasn't commenting on anyone else's application, just relating my unique experience -- I do not doubt you could fit speakers in there, I probably could have been more clear there, I just decided to go a different route after looking at it. And you're absolutely right, so long as you arent depending on them as your only sound source (the OP sounded like perhaps he was, I'm not sure), they should sound great for low and even midrange fill =)