IGNORED

Question on replacing shocks

ddezso

The car is 37 years old and presumably has the original springs. While this is all taken apart it probably makes sense to replace those too huh?

Any reason it wouldn't be useful and advised to replace springs when doing shocks? Also - what springs would you guys advise for someone who wants a stock look and ride without breaking the bank? I dont care about crazy high performance and dont want any lowering or raising of height.

You're right. If your springs are at all questionable, NOW is the time to replace them....

I went with the Tokicos that are available on eBay, and they are supposed to lower the car 1.5". However, my original springs were sagging pretty badly -- I didn't realize how much until after the new springs were installed on the car -- and as a result I more or less kept the same ride height.

Last I checked, Courtesy Nissan still had the Euro springs....

You're right. If your springs are at all questionable, NOW is the time to replace them....

QUOTE]

I wish I had changed the springs when I had my Tokico struts (the blue ones) installed, but I honestly didn't even think about it-I was just excited about having a car that wouldn't sit on it's arse when I thought about hitting the gas.

Do it all now, no need to tear everything down again, unless you want the practice!

You have some good info to go from, only thing Id do if you was get up under there and make sure you dont have any other problems before starting. Bushings and such, maybe even make sure your bearings all good and brakes are all fine. Your going to be in that area for a bit, might as well knock out as many problems you can at once. Maybe even get some penetrant sprayed around the day before to make life easier once you start.

agreed-might as well get as much done at once as is reasonably possible.

I would be very careful about falling into the "While I'm At It" syndrome (discussed in length in a different thread), and biting more off than you can chew.

As such, might I suggest that when you are under the car spraying the PB blaster (or lube of your choice-though PB is GREAT), you check all the afformentioned items, make your to-do list, order whatever you need, and stick to your list!

good luck!

The car is 37 years old and presumably has the original springs. While this is all taken apart it probably makes sense to replace those too huh?

Any reason it wouldn't be useful and advised to replace springs when doing shocks? Also - what springs would you guys advise for someone who wants a stock look and ride without breaking the bank? I dont care about crazy high performance and dont want any lowering or raising of height.

Thanks

What is the factory spec height from the ground and what is the point of measurement so I can see if I am sagging today?
Wouldn't be a bad idea at all to replace the springs, and yes, now is the time to do it.

Courtesy Nissan sells both repro stock US-spec springs, and also repro Nissan Euro Stage 1 springs. Thing is, both will raise your ride height if used with gas shocks, and the Euro will raise it even if you use non-gas (hydraulic) shocks. The thread below will tell you more than you want to know about ride height:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21115

FWIW, I plan to use NOS Mulholland non-gas shocks with slightly cut Euro springs in my red car.

Per Carl Beck the stock height from ground to bottom of rocker panel (not counting pinch welds) is 7 3/4" to 8". I just measured mine at 7" to 7 1/4" depending on where you measure (rear is 1/4" higher) so it looks like my old springs are saggy and need replacement.

Does anyone have a perspective on the quality and height of Tokico springs off EBay vs the Courtesy Nissan repro US spec springs?

I am using the KYB GR-2 shocks (part # 361002 front , 361001 Rear).

Per Carl Beck the stock height from ground to bottom of rocker panel (not counting pinch welds) is 7 3/4" to 8". I just measured mine at 7" to 7 1/4" depending on where you measure (rear is 1/4" higher) so it looks like my old springs are saggy and need replacement.

Does anyone have a perspective on the quality and height of Tokico springs off EBay vs the Courtesy Nissan repro US spec springs?

First, remember that those specs are assuming stock height tires. If your tires are shorter than stock, your measurements will be shorter as well.

Tokico springs are reputed to lower the car about an inch, even when used with gas shocks.

With new US-spec springs from Courtesy and KYB GR2 strut inserts I would expect the ride height to be 1/2" to 3/4" higher than stock due to the increased spring-rate effect of the gas shocks.

I have both the Tolkico setup (installed) and the Euro spec (not yet installed). As Arne has said, the Euro spec need to be cut down. The Euro spec springs are designed to give you a stock ride quality, but to keep the front height equal to the rear. The US springs came stock, with the front of the car riding slightly higher than the rear.

As to the quality, they both are quality. There are four of us with them, up here in the NW that chat quite a bit. One set is installed. Arne will be next. Mine will come down the road. Most of the the forum members here that have ridden in our burgandy car say that it is too stiff of ride for their taste. As a cruiser, I'd have to agree. That is why I am planning to move them to my other car, and put the Euro specs in. I love the ride height, but I get some tire rub on the front left in one spot. Unfortunately, that spot is when backing out of my driveway and cranking the wheel hard left. Now, my caster is off about a degree, but the stock suspension has no adjustment. I bought winter tires for it last year, and they really rubbed. Had to take them back. Too much tread height.

So, buy struts and springs according to the use you forsee for your car. If you are going to AutoX, then the Tokicos are probably great. Otherwise, be aware of the joints on a bridge and so on. They can jar your kidneys.

I have been playing catch up, on the discussions, research and work put into this effort so far. With the combined efforts of Arne, Carl & others, all of us will be able to make a better informed decision. I'm not ready for struts & springs yet but it has been just one more question in the back of my mind. Thanks to this forum and the input from everyone it will be easier to figure out. In a previous thread this week a member resurrected the debate on Tokico shocks/springs. Questions will continue to be asked about the nature of Tokico's products because of the lower price. Everyone saves a buck whenever they can. Personally, to me, the price would be a secondary factor. First I want to achieve the desired results. I'm sure many will be very happy using them and get the results they want. Just as many others will swear by their particular combination. In that thread Jeff Grauer offered to do a spring rate test on the springs supplied in the Tokico HPK 251 Kit. He is going to do this in a few weeks from now and then post his findings.

When I installed a complete Tokico package on my car, it lowered it by about an inch. I am used to very firm suspensions after my 325Ci, 350z, S4 with iNtrax, and now our FX35. I would say that the ride is quite comparable to the 350z/FX35 ride, firm but not overly stiff.

• 1 year later...

I really apprciate this thread. I need to replace the Spindle Pins in the rear on my 240Z.

The clowns that worked on my car replaced the spindle pin with a long bolt.

By pure luck these same clowns didn't get the car running enought to drive it.

At this point I am hoping the Lower Transverse Links are not trashed.

I plan on dropping both shocks on the rear to replace the Spndle pin + put some grease on the urathan bushings (More clown stories)

zdisease