IGNORED

Big, nasty bumpers

Ekans_+

I got tired of searching for the rubber that those big ugly bumpers needed to be complete, so I did a 50's look...got rid of the rusty old crabs, welded up the mounting hole and seams, and smoothed it all out...now shes a bumperless 2+2 that if you can ignore the quarter glass, almost looks like a coupe...yeah, it's that much shorter.:smoke:

Do you have any photos? Sounds interesting....

I'll have to take a few soon and when I do, I'll try to post them somehow somewhere. I'm not real clever with this computer you see (old man of 48), unless someone here can educate me or just show me the way to doing that. It would be much appreciated.

I'll have to take a few soon and when I do, I'll try to post them somehow somewhere. I'm not real clever with this computer you see (old man of 48), unless someone here can educate me or just show me the way to doing that. It would be much appreciated.

You can just reply to a post in this thread and look for the "manage attachments" button below when you do it - should let you upload photos from your computer as long as they not too big.

I have come to learn that the front and rear bumpers of the 280Z are extremely heavy. With this in mind, I would like to know if any smaller, more lightweight bumpers from previous Z's would fit my 280. Width is my only real concern as holes can be drilled to match.

I just started a complete refinish of a 77 280Z and must say, if you want a lighter bumper, go carbon fiber...the O.E.M. bumpers are not as heavy as they may look and I don't think converting to a 240 bumper would save you that much weight. Just a thought. BTW, I'll have it all done in about one month, as promised...see ARGG 2 weeks thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

While my car was in for rust repair, other body work and paint, I have the MSA fiberglass bumbers installed. It's not running now, so I can't get good, outdoor shots. Still, I thought these might help for anyone considering the conversion on a 280. I'll get better photos soon...

post-13761-14150811643963_thumb.jpg

post-13761-14150811644175_thumb.jpg

post-13761-14150811644444_thumb.jpg

post-13761-1415081164478_thumb.jpg

While my car was in for rust repair, other body work and paint, I have the MSA fiberglass bumbers installed. It's not running now, so I can't get good, outdoor shots. Still, I thought these might help for anyone considering the conversion on a 280. I'll get better photos soon...

What was involved in converting these to work on a 280?? I am VERY interested in this conversion since the chrome alone was >$800 for the bumpers and the rubber is hard to find.

Please post your experience.:laugh:

I used these brackets and they worked very well. A little flimsier than I would have thought but basically you are just hanging the bumpers on them as niether the bracket or bumper offers any real protection.

http://www.zccjdm.com/store.php?seller=azcarbum&pd=1790406&disp=images#IMAGES

I used the MSA fiberglass front and found an OEM rear that someone had reworked, welded the holes shut and primed.

post-14932-14150811669436_thumb.jpg

post-14932-14150811669741_thumb.jpg

I used these brackets and they worked very well. A little flimsier than I would have thought but basically you are just hanging the bumpers on them as niether the bracket or bumper offers any real protection.

http://www.zccjdm.com/store.php?seller=azcarbum&pd=1790406&disp=images#IMAGES

I used the MSA fiberglass front and found an OEM rear that someone had reworked, welded the holes shut and primed.

OK, Cool. Now all of these bumper alterations are haunting me. Should I, or shouldn't I?? Hmmmm....

id like to see photos as well as this is what i want to do with my Z

EDIT: sorry for some reason Internet explorer blocked his pictures so i thought they wernt posted.

Edited by Shade133