IGNORED

E88 not the best head?

71datsun240z

like anything with performance comes money.

i like the early E88 head on a F54 block. port polish the head polisht the combustion chambers, insert larger valves ss steel seats, a good cam and you have a great gas pump ready engine that will kick some arse

• 3 years later...

hi all i was told that the E88 head was 2nd best. if im wrong correct me please but is there a better head if so where can i buy it? let me know plz and thanks

I just ran up on a F 54 block with P90 heads. I understand with flat top pistons it will have plenty of compression. I am new to this part of performance so I would like any input I cah get.

Hey guys I suck at searching for old threads but there was one here that linked to a guys web site that went through all of the combinations that you are talking about. He described all blocks, heads and the combinations. Sorry I can't be more specific but he had it all down, very informative. Maybe someone else knows how to get to that thread. I will keep looking

Quote: "I have two different E88 heads, the early E88 head and a later one (at least this is what i've been told). The casting marks are different between the two and makes identification abit easier. The early head has a skinny E and a uniform 88 casting mark where as the later head is uniform through out the three characters (same size and thickness)."

The uniform lettering of E and 88 on the later E88 heads -- was that used only on the emissions-oriented 1973 heads? I suspect it began earlier, but does anybody know? If a known 1972 head were found to have that lettering, that would tell us. (Uniform versus the skinny E.)

thanks,

Steve

PS -- On the E88 lettering question, there's a photo on this Zhome page:

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/E31andE88Heads.htm

showing the chamber side of a 1973-type head vs. the 1972-type. If anybody's got an E88 head loose, it would be interesting to see if any with the 1972-type chamber side have the later casting mark. (Royce?)

I have both a 1970 E31 head and a late 1971 (72 model year) E88 head with the small combustion chambers. The E88 is almost identical but has very slightly larger combustion chambers and flows a little better since the valves arent shrouded like the E31. The E31 bone stock produces slightly more power, but I am in the process of doing a full race build on the E88. I had it shaved .050 and shimmed the cam towers. Schneider stage 3 cam and alloy springs as well as 44mm intake and 38 mm exhaust SI racing valves. The E88 is almost done and my E31 is a fresh rebuild with less than 200 miles on it. I'm using the E31 for driving around while I am finishing the E88. After I'm done with the E31 I might be willing to sell it.

I have both a 1970 E31 head and a late 1971 (72 model year) E88 head with the small combustion chambers. The E88 is almost identical but has very slightly larger combustion chambers and flows a little better since the valves arent shrouded like the E31.

So on your E88 -- what's the 'E88' lettering like? Is the 'E' skinny or is it full width like the two 8s?

thanks,

Steve

E31 on the car right now

head_001.jpg

E88 E is as wide as 8s

head_002.jpg

Valves are pretty big on my E88 (biggest you can fit, they barely made it) and the chamber is notched under the spark plug

head_003.jpg

stock E88 valves for comparison

E88wtext.JPG

I ran the E88 for a few hundred miles with a slightly clogged oiler bar that scarred my stage two cam and instigated the rebuid with an internally oiling stage three cam (reason why it is dirty).