IGNORED

#490 Listed on Ebay

lonetreesteve

That was my thought. Anything imported into the US that was built in 69 was either a test car or would have been very low in the numbers and possibly hand stamped at the port to conform to US title procedures. Anything is possible. However number 490 I would have expected to be a 1970 model.

How does this plate compare to other pre1970 plates, like those from a roadster? Perhaps Nissan was just using the plate stamper they used for them (just with a different model number), since it already had the obligatory Federal disclaimer on it. Maybe.

I believe all ID plates were originally riveted. #797 must have been removed at one time, possibly for a repaint.

Look closer, and you'll notice besides the style of stamping, #490 different in both the printing and the placement of the stamping. Both the date of mfg. and the serial# are in the same section, while #797 has the DOM in the second section and the ser. # at the bottom section.

( Sorry, I meant all "Door" ID plates were riveted.) :stupid:

I've got #333 and of course I can't find the door plate. I'm sure its somewhere safe but I've moved twice since taking it off and now I'm not sure where! The plate in the engine compartment looks machine stamped (very clean and neat) vs. hand stamping. I don't know how that affects the door plate. Carl

Sorry to come into this so late. The engine comp. ID plate is attached with phillip head screws and the door jamb ID plate is riveted with an aluminum rivet smaller than 1/8" diameter - obviously metric size. The plates for 27th are the same however they are still on the car.

post-4148-14150799041495_thumb.jpg

Wow, that guy was stamping #s all over the place....

I didn't doubt the legitimacy ofthe car, just interested in when and why some early cars had expansion tanks, while others didn't.

Early hood bumpers visible, also appears a intact inspection lid clip?

david

Wow, that guy was stamping #s all over the place....

I didn't doubt the legitimacy ofthe car, just interested in when and why some early cars had expansion tanks, while others didn't.

Early hood bumpers visible, also appears a intact inspection lid clip?

david

Chris, ie., 27th Z,

The above quote just made me remember, someone on ebay has reproduced the early, suction cup looking, hood bumpers like Kats has. Just thought I would mention this for all of you early Z car purists. I, too, am in that purist catigory, just don't have bragging rights to the very early series 1 cars. I'll try to find an item # on ebay if it is still around.

Dan

Edit:

I just found the ebay item number for those early bumpers if anyone is interested.

Item #280054811432