IGNORED

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

BD240Z

Thats good because if it did cure as hard as epoxy it would definitely crack. However I still think it must be some special form of epoxy, may just not "regular old" epoxy. Anyways I guess the results speak for themselves.

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning on doing this to my Dad's dash. The problem I have run into is that the previous owner had a dash cap on it and there is a bunch of 3m type strip calk that held it on. Does anyone have any tips for getting this off. I have used a plastic paint scraper to get most of it off but there is still some on there and the dash is so dry that I keep getting little cracks in it.

Thanks

-GB-

post-17526-14150804126096_thumb.jpg

post-17526-14150804126684_thumb.jpg

If it's Strip Calk, acetone will remove it as the calk is tar (asphalt) based.

If on the other hand it's some other form of adhesive, you may have to resort to a 3M Strip discs, they come in different colors, maroon, blue and brown. They'll be the least agressive method to removing that other than other solvents.

Additionally, you could use some of the Rotor "finger" discs and be careful as to how much pressure you use.

FWIW

E

I ordered all me SEM stuff to do my dash repair. When I got going, I found many places on the top of the dash that looked good, but when you pushed hard on the plastic, it cracked. So I went carefully went over my dash hammering the plastic cover to find hidden areas that would develop cracks over time. Of course I ran out of bumper epoxy. None in town. Only two weeks to go till Walla Walla, car show weekend (Wheelin Walla Walla) and I,m sign up. Crud!!!! Well I ran down to my NAPA store and talked to a guy I know that works in the paint and body section. He said use NAPA flexible bumper repair. That this is what allot of body and restoration shops are using.

I would just as soon stay with what is proven to work, But I really was in a fix.

I know the following:

1. It soaks into the foam better than the SEM bumper repair epoxy.

2. It is allot more flexible when cured.

3. It is easy to sand.

4. It adheres to the plastic dash as good as the SEM epoxy.

5. It cost $32.00 vs the cheaper SEM but your get about 4x as much.

6. And only time will tell if I made a mistake by using this product.

At least my Z will be ready for the show.

Jon

post-14837-14150804129082_thumb.jpg

post-14837-14150804129591_thumb.jpg

out of curiosity, it has been over a year since the last post on how the dash is doing from the repair. Any news on how it is today?

Diseazd owns the car with the dash that was repaired (at the start of this thread). This was his update as of May 2008.

-Mike

Someone wanted to know how it held up? I can tell you.........beautiful 'cause I now own the car that Bruce fixed. I didn't even know it had been done! Great job Bruce....just like the entire resto you did on the rest of the car. Guy

• 2 months later...