IGNORED

I baught the car from a real IPO! Idoiot Previous Owner!

BuDavid

I don’t know what we should be more pissed off at, the lack of care by the previous owner, or your spelling and grammar.

BuDavid (Mohamed) is our friend from Bahrain. English is his second or third language, so cut him some slack, Cracker.

This is a community of Z lovers, not fighters.

We've got a membership here that spans the globe, including people from other English speaking countries who use language and terminology differently than we in the US do.

If this is going to be a problem for you, perhaps you should post elsewhere.

I don’t know what we should be more pissed off at, the lack of care by the previous owner, or your spelling and grammar.

Nick - now that you have made yourself look like a complete idiot... perhaps you could redeem yourself somewhat - with a proper and sincere apology to our guest from Bahrain. (unless you can communicate in perfect Arabic yourself). I'm sure you just didn't notice his location...

kind regards,

Carl B.

I disagree with there being no cartridges. My FSM clearly shows the strut cartride in the picture on page FA 13 in figure FA-32. on my 70. The " O" ring is to keep the cooling oil in the strut tube. It is put there as a cooling agent. The instructions in steps 8 & 9. State to remove the cylinder from the outer sleeve clean the oil with gasoline.

Hi Jim:

I can see how you might get that impression from that picture today. However in 1970 there were no cartridges for the US 240-Z's.

If you look at the caption it say's "Removing piston rod and cylinder assembly". It is significant to note that it does not say "Removing Shock Absorber Cartridge".

If the man in that picture slid his hand upwards.. he could remove the collar shown above his hand - and thus separate the piston rod from the cylinder (not recommended). If you were to see the bottom of that assembly, you would see that it is "open". That is because the damper oil enters there. The oil surrounding the cylinder in the strut, is the the same as the oil in the cylinder (one continual pool of damping oil). That is why the type and exact amount of oil you put back in after service, has a direct effect on the damping power (Note at instruction #3 on FA14).

Please note instruction #9 on page FA13. "Drain damping oil from the cylinder and strut outer casing into a clean container".

I point this out to indicate that this assembly (piston and cylinder) could be rebuilt... rather than replaced, via the use of a rebuild seal kit.

I had the shocks on my 70 rebuilt several times by my Datsun Dealer - under warranty. (HLS30 01777).

Later - and I'm not sure just went - Nissan did supply a "cartridge" to replace the original assembly.

The cartridge type could not be disassembled nor rebuilt - as the original assembly was. The cartridge is a sealed unit, which does not share the same oil pool - as the oil surrounding it in the strut.

Maybe someone still has an original shock assembly, that they can provide some clear pictures of - disassembled.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Boy oh boy,

I am sorely tempted to P.M. Mr. Salty Crackers. If he thinks Mohammed's spelling and grammar is bad, I wonder what he'd think of a dozen or so lines of good old Aussie slang. That'd be sure to send him around the twist.ROFL

Mohammed, in the words of a very famous person, "Forgive him, for he knows not what he DO".:D

OOPS, was that a grammatical error????????

O.K. Salty, we'll probably overlook this one, being a newbie and all, and forgive you. A humble aplogy WOULD be nice though.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

well, I guess people in the US don't use the name "Mohamed" that much don't they?LOL

well, I knew that it is not his fault, coz he might not expect people from all over the world to post in this forum..

and from my side, I appologize for my bad grammer, because it is our second language as many people figured out:)

and maybe it was MUCH worse in this post because I was really pissed off from the surprizes I found in the car!:dead:

I appolegize again because I following up so late due to some health problems that kept me in bed for few days..

ok, so you say that springs had different hights?? I just baught ST springs and they seemed to be the same !! dont they??

and the previous springs didnt have and inch difference, but about 2 inches or more!! so I can freely blame him and all of you can also:)

besides that that guy was acting as if he was a real Z guy, that is bothering me the most!

SaltyCrackers, see you arround mate;)

cheerZ..