IGNORED

GM merger dead, details www.nissansportmag.com

Nissan Sport ed

The General surely could have benefitted, but he showed his "ugly American" attitude to the person (and two companies) that have been through nearly the exact same problems that GM has.

Issues of redundancy, poor product quality, and/or overpricing drove Renault out of the US, and Nissan suffered from compacency in the market, as well as having quality control issues.

GM should have swollowed it's pride and accepted help from those that have been there before, and bear the scars to prove it.

Renault makes some kick asss cars these days, but the le Car so hurt them here that we will likely never see the Menage (I or II) or Cleo (v6 sport for me, please!) here.

I hope GM gets it's head out of the sand and reapproaches Renault and Nissan, just with an open mind (for once).

GM is massive, so yes, I can see how Nissan/Renault could have benefited.

GM is in a pickle with the massive amount of retirees that it has to keep paying, an alliance with Nissan/Renault wouldn't have done much to address that without a trainload of cash.

It would have been handy to have parts interoperability between Nissan and GM though . . . LS7 350Zs!!!

"GM Merger dead....."

Thank god. Not that I wouldn't mind a Chevy truck, but a Titan would fit better in my all Nissan household.

Regarding the insurance costs GM pays which drive their vehicles' price up, MSNBC had this quote from someone inside GM.

"GM pays for health care for 750,000 U.S. hourly employees, retirees and their dependents. The company expects to spend $5.6 billion on health care this year. GM’s UAW members now pay 7 percent of their health care costs, while the company’s salaried employees pay 27 percent, according to GM."

Yikes.

Chris A.