IGNORED

so, i started to roller paint...

zwhore

Zwhore. Why do you call it the "franklin mint" 240? Could you give the particulars on the paint you got from Sherwin Williams. It looks like they maybe able to do a color match and custom tint the paint.

I agree about the shine. New BC/CC paint just seems to be too glossy for a car that originally wasn't anywhere near that level of gloss. Call it 'old school gloss'

I'm happy with this process. Since I know my body work and rust abatement isn't absolute perefect. I be able to make spot repairs. Also all paint work can be done without a paint booth. Expensive ventilation or the danger of breathing deadly fumes. And most all I don't have 3 grand for a paint job

Unless you've have used epoxy primer the car can rust beneath most primers and you won't know till a bubble in the paint shows up. I have a 74 260z that I put hundreds of hours into a paint job which in just a few years some cancer started too show thru at the wheel wells. That car stays in the garage all the time now.

the franklin mint 1/24 scale 240z. they made an orange one a few years ago.

it was supposedly painted with origan datsun 918 orange paint.

they have a new one out now, but its white, http://www.franklinmint.com/product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=8667

i have an enormus collection of z models, diecast of all sizes and tons of other stuff. what can i say, im a nerd.

even my senior pics in high school were with my purple 70 240.

as for the paint. its called direct to metal paint. they can match any color. its basically their brand of rustoleum. the orange was about 55 bucks for a gallon.

ok, finally did the first coat on the outside of the hood. not one bubble. not sure why, but it looks great. did another coat on the cowl and fenders.

i have noticed the more paint is on the part, the smoother it gets each time.

new pics are in my album.

i hope to start on the airdam and headlight buckets tomorrow.

once the hood has 5 coats on it, i will start on the body.

tony

Zwhore

The fender looks good. Did you do any wet sanding? I got a practice piece going and the paint really smoothes out easy. A few bubbles at first but they go away shortly. My prep was alittle sloppy but still it looks good after 3 coats. I going to wet sand with 400 to see how it does on the following coats

dont sand with 400. use 600 or 800. finish with 100 or higher. then use polishing compond to bring it to a nice shine.

normally i prep with 400, then move up 200 grit incriments to 1200.

i sanded down some drips with 400 and it goes way to fast.

i havent sanded anything i have painted yet.

more soon i hope.

Nice, very nice! Your results thus far are encouraging me to do the same. I must now think about what the color will be..... I was really in love with Arne's yellow.... I am partial to the red (the color of my first Z, a '72), or keep it what it was, white. Decisions, decisions. Must address some rust first, so there is no rush to decide.

John

So far I've got about 5 coats on. I wet sanded my test area with 400 to get rid of some sand scratchs from my prep. Not bad looking for a quicky test. To do the whole car I going to start with a better prep job. But with only 5 coats, I can see a good and cheap paint job can easily be achieved.

Went to Sherwin Williams a got a gallon of Industrial/ marine oil base industrial enamel "daredevil" orange (their color) which is really, really close to 918 orange from what I can tell. They made an attempt to scan my battery hatch door but could'nt get a good scan. 32 bucks for a gallon. Got home tried some test color samples a so far it's a close match. Finally, after all these years my project 240 will be one color again. I will post photos once I'm underway.

post-6475-14150798551062_thumb.jpg

$32 A GALLON!? that is an inexpensive way to paint a car. I bought PPG paint for $600 a gallon (2 stage base coat-clear coat). I'm lucky that I have a paint booth to shoot it in though. There is an AWSOME auto body program that has everything, $20 for 4 months of class, including unlimited use of the spray booth:D . Good luck with your rolling

Matt-

Considering the paint is applied with a roller, It's coming along quite nicely.

Has anyone tried warming the paint before applying it??? Whenever I've used Estapol Clear on a large flat surface, I've found that by leaving the can in the sun for an hour or so, the paint spreads easier and almost eliminates brush marks.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

The whole point of rolling on the paint is to get a decent looking paint job, without a booth, without the harmful, explosive fumes, without having the right experience and just so happens to be cheap. Currently, my car is about five different colors and has been parked in my garage for 7 years. I could not justify spending 3 grand to get it painted. This method will allow me to have it back on the road in a month. It's not a show car just something to tinker with.

1 bravo 6

What type of clear is that?

post-6475-14150798588337_thumb.jpg

Maybe I can be of some help regarding those unwanted air bubbles. You may want to employ the "Tipping Process" immediately after the painted surface it is rolled. Tipping is taking the widest brush you can use effectively (i.e. 4" on wide flat surfaces, 1-2" on those small and sharply curves areas) and making straight, long uninterrupted passes from one end to the other of the item being painted. However, one only uses the tip of the brush (approximately 1/4") ; thus, the term tipping. This process removes ALL of those dreaded air bubbles in one fell swoop.

I helped build a 12' wooden boat that was fiberglassed over. We used a 2 part epoxy PPG primer ($110 a quart), thinned 50/50, and rolled on with chemical resistent foam rollers. Once complete, we lightly wet sanded using 600 grit and applied a second coat of primer. The topcoat was West Marine's very brillant red (forgot the name), which also was rolled and a total of 3 coats applied. Each and every coat was tipped and wet sanded (moving up the grit ladder) with the final coat wet sanded with 1200 grit.

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

Good luck,

Nancy