Sign in to follow this  
Darrel

'70 240z in denver

Steve,

#1032 is for sale on CraigsList again, this time for sale in Longmont.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1553507738.html

I went and looked at it when it was for sale in Littleton and the floor plans were in pretty bad shape. It sold for about $1000-$1200 and after some engine work the new seller is asking $3K. Dash was cracked, but interior was all there and in pretty good shape.

Wow Don, you really brought up an old thread, well after Steve brought it up again from last year.

That made me look back through all the posts.

The question I have, did some_guy ever get his z car?

Steve,

#1032 is for sale on CraigsList again, this time for sale in Longmont.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1553507738.html

I went and looked at it when it was for sale in Littleton and the floor plans were in pretty bad shape. It sold for about $1000-$1200 and after some engine work the new seller is asking $3K. Dash was cracked, but interior was all there and in pretty good shape.

Hi Don,

I wondered what had happened to this car. I also looked at back in 2006 (see post #17 of this thread). Looks like from a mechanical standpoint, the new owner put a some time and a some money into the car so it's in good running condition now, which is definitely an improvement from before. $3k doesn't seem out of line for a low VIN Series 1 car with its original matching engine; however, it still has some significant rust issues. I definitely think that the car is restorable and will probably sell for the $3k or pretty close to it, but I'm afraid that whoever ends up buying the car is going to end up spending a lot of money on the rust repairs.

Wow Don, you really brought up an old thread, well after Steve brought it up again from last year.

That made me look back through all the posts.

The question I have, did some_guy ever get his z car?

Hi Darrel,

I can't believe it's been over 3 years since you first spotted this car on Craig's List and started this thread. I was a little surprised to see that the new owner hasn't had any bodywork done to the car yet.

It looks like Some_guy hasn't been on the sight since March of 2007, so it's really hard to say what he ended up doing.

post-6600-14150809644723_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150809644958_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150809645102_thumb.jpg

Edited by lonetreesteve
    Added pictures

Hiya all,

I'm looking for a 240Z to make into a general race car (autocross, rallycross, and track). I've poked around the site many times in the past and coincidentally looked here after I saw the aformentioned craigslist ad. I was just about to call the current owner and ask him some questions and found most of them answered here in this thread (talk about stars aligning!).

What do you think? From what's been said here the rust would be expensive and/or time-consuming to resolve. Is this a project car that a newb with serious determination can tackle? I'd do most of any work on the car myself and with the aid of some mechanic friends.

I'm a relatively new but very enthusiastic member of the Nissan community. I bought a 350Z two years ago and helped start and run the COlorado Nissan Owners Club last January (CONOC.net screen name "Max"). I know at least one of you (hi Darrel!) and may have met others at the HPR race day part of the mid-west Z fest last summer.

We met while bolting tires together at our new track.

There are a couple of candidates on craigslist, search "datsun" There are a couple of projects if you want to take them on.

There was also a 280z for $500 that had a clutch "cable" that went out. If interested I can send the info since it isn't on CL anymore, you can call if it's still available.

As for the car that's discussed here, I think you can do better, jmo. $850 for a real project on CL. The ad should still be up on cl. There is another 240 on cl for about $1K, both projects. It just depends how far you want to go.

Edited by Darrel

Well, I talked to David with #1032 and he sent me several pictures of rust on his Z. Some of the spots look like a pain to deal with but I'm still in for a look at the least. I'll probably drop by on Friday to check it out.

Well, I talked to David with #1032 and he sent me several pictures of rust on his Z. Some of the spots look like a pain to deal with but I'm still in for a look at the least. I'll probably drop by on Friday to check it out.

The only reason he's asking $2,500.00 for the car is because it has a low VIN. As mentioned earlier in this post, I've seen the car in person before and it does have some real rust issues and I'm afraid that some of the worst issues are the ones that aren't visible. These old 240Zs rust from the inside out and can cost a small fortune to repair.

I agree with Darrel, this isn't the best candidate for what you are looking for (autocross, rally-cross & track). There are better candidates out there with a lot less rust and a much lower price tag.

The subject car is for someone who really wants a low VIN car and is willing to make a sizable investment in both time and money to properly restore the car. The cost to properly restore this car will cost $15k or more.

I'm not in disagreement with you guys. I'm not planning on buying it but I'd like to take a look. You guys are definitely the experts here and I would love to spent less. :)

Ha, I was just reminded by my better half that I have other plans on Friday night. :stupid: I'll see if I can reschedule but the current owner works evenings while I'm an 8-to-5 guy myself so it may not happen for awhile.

In the meantime I'm contacting the guy on craigslist with the 1973 240Z Turbo Project for $1,000.

Edited by Hard Max

Keep your options open for other cars like the 280z. There have been a few popping up on CL pretty cheap.

I still have the ad from cl on the 280z 2+2 for $500, not sure if it's sold yet.

Keep your options open for other cars like the 280z. There have been a few popping up on CL pretty cheap.

I still have the ad from cl on the 280z 2+2 for $500, not sure if it's sold yet.

I'd like to get a 240 if possible, but will expand my search more if I can't find anything that fits me. With that said, if you can PM me the info for the 280Z 2+2 I'll definitely reach out and see if it's still available to check out.

Dont discard the idea of a 260Z. Early ones are light weight like the 240Z. Later ones are more 280Zish. Get one with a great interior and sell me stuff that you dont need for the racing part.:D

Carl B. (and other historians) can correct me, but I think that 1974 was the highest selling year of the 240-260-280's. Hence, more of em!;)

Highest selling year, maybe, but the 240z ran from 70-73 and the 280z from 75-78, both 4 year runs compared to only one for the 260.

There was a 260 on craigs list as well.

ok, ok, This is the north american market numbers.

Edited by Darrel
    moonpup made me do it.

Highest selling year, maybe, but the 240z ran from 70-73 and the 280z from 75-78, both 4 year runs compared to only one for the 260.

There was a 260 on craigs list as well.

LOOK OUT! Condescending lecture for not including the rest of planet earth coming in 10-9-8-7-6-5-4.......

:rolleyes:

Carl B. (and other historians) can correct me, but I think that 1974 was the highest selling year of the 240-260-280's. Hence, more of em!;)

Looks like 1977 with 84,156 total produced and 75,957 exported was the highest production year for the First Generation Z's. A few of the units exported to other than North America would have been additional 260Z units.

1974 production 62,961 total with 54,026 exported

1979 105,045 produced and 85,643 exported set the record for the Second Generation

Of course these are "calendar year production/export" numbers so there is some overlap of specific models - given that model change overs were in the last quarter of the year...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Well, I put some money down on this 240Z tonight. I'll go by tomorrow night to finish the deal. The car is partially disassembled and the current owner is going to trailer it to my house on Saturday. I'm pretty excited!

It's in great shape and comes with several new performance modifications for me to install. I'll get some pictures up this weekend. :D

Hi Don,

I wondered what had happened to this car. I also looked at back in 2006 (see post #17 of this thread). Looks like from a mechanical standpoint, the new owner put a some time and a some money into the car so it's in good running condition now, which is definitely an improvement from before. $3k doesn't seem out of line for a low VIN Series 1 car with its original matching engine; however, it still has some significant rust issues. I definitely think that the car is restorable and will probably sell for the $3k or pretty close to it, but I'm afraid that whoever ends up buying the car is going to end up spending a lot of money on the rust repairs.

Hi Darrel,

I can't believe it's been over 3 years since you first spotted this car on Craig's List and started this thread. I was a little surprised to see that the new owner hasn't had any bodywork done to the car yet.

It looks like Some_guy hasn't been on the sight since March of 2007, so it's really hard to say what he ended up doing.

I think this is one of the cars I looked at a couple years ago when I purchased my current 72'. It was in very rough shape, rusted floor pans and frame rails, it was so bad I did not even test drive it.

ok Max, pics or it didn't happen.

LOL, here you go. It was delivered around 3:00 on Saturday. I have the parts missing from the picture in my garage. It really is in fantastic shape. Susan and I are trying to decide what original color we should paint it (we're currently torn between orange and blue). The VIN is HLS3022352.

4318332414_1d68f3b581.jpg

4317599965_ffd055dc5e.jpg

4317599795_0e6426cba4.jpg

Edited by Hard Max

first thing to do before paint is to get the rest of the glass out. Especially if the windshield and hatch gaskets are original.

What was the original color?

first thing to do before paint is to get the rest of the glass out. Especially if the windshield and hatch gaskets are original.

What was the original color?

We're in the middle of stripping all of the interior out and I've already removed the rear windshield. The front windshield will be removed when I have a place to set it or we find a buyer. All of the gaskets and most of the rubber has already been taken off. We're thinking of selling both windshields as well as the seats (not in that great of shape).

The original color was 905 red.

An update on HLS30-01032 almost 10 years since the last post:

I did a Google search on HLS30-01032 and found it on IZCC's Classic Z Car Register -  http://www.zhome.com/IZCC/ZRegisters/classic.htm

I have also attached one of the pictures of the car that the seller posted on the original Cragslist back in 2006. 

VIN:HLS30 01032

Production Date:01/70

Color Body /Int:Orange/Black

Orig.Eng.Number:L24-4056

Owner:John Odell City/State/Cntry:Woodland Park, CO, USA

IZCC Member#:554

Comments: e-mail: johnodellmd@msn.com

Date Registered:18 Aug. 09, & 3/22/10

62M98aMbPWSHEEif6Bqim6zXahor.jpg

• Like 1