IGNORED

'70 240z in denver

Darrel

This is pretty close to what I'm looking for, only a bit more than I can spend right now and a long ways from home. Like I said before, I really don't have time to get into a new project. I'd rather find one that's ready to go, and pay more, than get a good deal and have a lot of work ahead of me. The 70 on craigs really had my mind turning, but it's not practical for me right now. I'm looking to land somewhere between the 2K cars that need work and the 13K cars that are advertised as perfect.

http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1503&cat=1

BTW, sorry for hijacking the thread. I really didn't mean to, and if I could turn back time would have introduced myself and my desires in the proper area.:o

I used "240z" in search when I found that one.

Check www.zccc.org the local z club web site. The Odometer is the monthly newsletter. We have meetings the first wednesday of every month at Brooklyns near the stadium.

Thanks, Darrel. I'll start using the variations in my searches, and look you guys up when I get a car. I tried to check out The Odometer, but it doesn't seem to like my Mac. I'll have to try to pull it up in the office tomorrow.

Carl...

snipped....

Does it sound like I'm on the right track, money wise (5-6K)? All I really have to go by is what people say in their ads to get to that figure.

Hi Blaine:

I think your not too far off. As long as you realize that is most likely just the starting point.

For the most part, if you look far and wide, you can still find a good 240-Z in the $5K to $6K range. It will be good for weekend short trips around town and it will look pretty good from 10 feet.... If you are real lucky it will be "mostly" rust free... meaning the frame rails and area under the battery will be solid... and it might have just a few small rust holes in the floorboards upon close inspection (once you remove the tar mat).

Then over the next few months, you fall in love with the car, and decide to fix a few things, do a little maintenance etc..(we've all been there..or are still there now).

The $6K car needs (well it could use) a new set of tires and when you install them, you find the front end still shakes at 65mph... so new shocks, ball joints come next. You notice that the brakes could use some attention because the Master Cylinder just started leaking... or the clutch Master / Slave finally gives out (now that it's being driven often)...

That exhaust smell has to be fixed..so new weatherstrips/seals in the deck lid and around the tail lights etc. Now we're cruse'n... and darn the clutch is slipping badly... new clutch...

At this point you are five to six months down the road.. you've spent eight to ten weekends on various fun projects like changing the clutch and shocks etc... and although the engine had been rebuilt by the PO... the carb's have throttle shafts that are leaking and it's all but impossible to tune the car out perfectly... nothing a rebuilt set won't cure.... need to change all the rubber fuel lines as well... might as well do the belts...

OK - so $6K for the car plus another $3K to $5K for the needed service (depends on how much time you have to do the service yourself, or how much your local Z Shop will charge for some items.)..

You can usually buy the cars outlined above - that the PO how has $11K to $14K and a lot of personal work in - for around $8K to $9K. Might be a bit less West of the Mississippi.... The PO's will have extensive documentation / service bills / parts bills etc - and they will have done all this work within the last three years...

Personally, I'd spend the $8K to $9K today if I found the car that had been recently gone though... You are time and money ahead at that point.. the drive the car across the State or across country... and start thinking about "refreshing" the paint and body work ;-)

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

This is pretty close to what I'm looking for, only a bit more than I can spend right now and a long ways from home. Like I said before, I really don't have time to get into a new project. I'd rather find one that's ready to go, and pay more, than get a good deal and have a lot of work ahead of me. The 70 on craigs really had my mind turning, but it's not practical for me right now. I'm looking to land somewhere between the 2K cars that need work and the 13K cars that are advertised as perfect.

http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1503&cat=1

Hi Blaine:

That car is at least $2K under the current market ... lots and lots of work already done - and most likely done correctly (I happen to know John)... A Series I car at that... for $6,850.00 it's a bargain... I'd find a way to go get it.

This one is ready to go - as a daily driver, with the possibility of doing a full restore in the future... Clutch, tires, wheels, suspension, etc etc all done... heck you'd be paying $1,500.00 for the car...! and saving all that time... just paying for the a fraction of the parts/labor you'd put into another $5K car..

If that ad has been there for very long - it's most likely sold already.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl is so right. What he says is exactly what happened to me. I got a 98 thousand original mile 73 for $6K a year ago. It was purchased in Pennsylvania and I live in San Diego so add another $900 for transportation. Once I got the car, I did not like the tires so I got new ones, then I did not like the exhaust, next I was onto springs and struts, next the points had to go, so in goes the Petronix, then the cooling system is not to my liking so I buy a 14" aux fan. A man who loves to listen to tunes as he drives, I needed a stereo, which lead to me needing a speaker box for MSA. Now I am getting ready to replace the original 2.4 with a 2.8 which is more $$$, I also want to get new interior plastic and diamond vinyl from Classic Datsun. Of course the car was not perfect, it needs a small repair on the passenger side floor board right under the tar mat which noticed when I had to fix a bottom out dent caused by bad springs and struts. Doing some simple math I am in to this car for over $9K and still needs the $3to5K paint job. Right on Carl, you know what you are talking about.

Thanks, Carl. Wow, I had no idea that was your website. I've been reading a lot on there over the past few weeks. Excellent site. I understand that there will always be something I can fix or replace or improve. Just part of the love I guess.

My bike is a good example. I paid 3K. It ran strong and handled well. I probably could have ridden it as is for a long time. I replaced the clutch, exhaust, added stainless brake lines, new speedo cable, windscreen, seat cover, water pump impeller, radiator cap and a rear tire. Then I did the body work and paint. I've now got about 4K in, and I could upgrade the suspension, a big bore kit, billet clutch basket, etc etc. But it runs great, performs well, and while the additional things would make it even better, they aren't necessary to enjoy the bike. I'm just looking for something similar in a Z.

Blaine

post-13044-14150798718923_thumb.jpg

Hi Blaine:

That car is at least $2K under the current market ... lots and lots of work already done - and most likely done correctly (I happen to know John)... A Series I car at that... for $6,850.00 it's a bargain... I'd find a way to go get it.

This one is ready to go - as a daily driver, with the possibility of doing a full restore in the future... Clutch, tires, wheels, suspension, etc etc all done... heck you'd be paying $1,500.00 for the car...! and saving all that time... just paying for the a fraction of the parts/labor you'd put into another $5K car..

If that ad has been there for very long - it's most likely sold already.

FWIW,

Carl B.

John's car (in the linked ad) is a definite buy, and that car as well as the low-miles Series 2 '71 I bought last month (see my third 240Z) show that this $7000-9000 range may be the sweet spot right now, if you are patient, but diligent in searching them out. John's car is perhaps even a better buy in some ways than mine was, unless you are after strict originality. Because as good as mine is, it will still need tires, weatherstripping, all cooling and vent hoses replaced, struts, carpet, etc. But John's car looks to be ready to drive right now. If you can swing it, you should do so.

I agree that it sounds great and is a good price. If it was in Colorado, or even a surrounding state, it would be very hard to pass on. I can't hop a flight to California right now to chase a car, and I would never buy a car I hadn't seen or driven. Plus, it would do ugly things to my bank balance. If I need to jump to the 7-9K range, I really need to wait a few months.

It's a nice car, but it won't be the last car. I don't need to buy today, though I would if I found the right one. Unfortunately, this isn't it. Not today anyways.

No need to wait until you get a z to attend any of the meetings. Any one is welcome even if you own a mustang. ;-)

There might be a z or 2 for sale if you let them know you're looking for one.

For the right car you shouldn't have to think twice about hopping on a plane and going to get it or even to look at it if the seller is truthfull. And with the endorsment carl gave the owner of the car, it definitely has merit.

There is a thread on hybridz about a guy that flew from the east coast to Utah to pick up a 510 wagon and drove it back.

Blaine, Carl Beck knows of which he speaks. I bought a "perfect" 73 in Denver last year for $8,000. It had 69,000 original miles(real) and I bought it from the first owner who had kept it garaged all it's life. It had NO rust and although I felt I probably overpaid I have very few of the issues others have had with their more "used" cars. Then came the fun...had to get rid of the white vinyl roof(dealer installed and beginning to peel, that required a new paint job. Then a few rubber parts, then a new exhaust system, then new struts,and as long as I was doing that,new bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends. I was unable to tune the 71 S.U.s so off they went to Ztherapy. Then the seats were saggy and my 60 year old butt just needed some new foam. Then, of course I needed some tunes.......you see where this goes. I'm now into the car for a lot more than I paid for it and I will never get the money out of it, BUT, I don't care. I'm having so much fun with this car that the money just doesn't matter all that much. I can do 90% of the work myself which is very satisfying and then I can do like I did on Monday and take the Z for a spin in the mountains up to Estes Park and over Peak to Peak down to Boulder and that is really a blast and a great stress reliever. It really doesn't matter how much you pay, you will pay more as time goes by. As Carl said when I was first looking..."get the BEST car you can afford and go from there". Check out my picture gallery to see what I have been talking about.

Good luck with your search and remember these cars are not an investment that will make you money. They are for fun and that's worth a lot.

Cheers, Mike

I second all that has been said by he with the "60 year old butt".

My car cost about 6K of your US notes. I have spent about 2K on parts and in the process of parting with another 6K for to the car to be taken back to bare metal, new panels fitted, rust removed and of course new paint. You pay for what you get in this world and I have no illusions that I will not see a profit on this car unless some nutter in Japan wants a low VIN RHD 240z in his collection that has almost every part either rebuilt or new. Oh, and I'm not selling it either.

Best advice anyone can give is DONT RUSH INTO BUYING ANYTHINGn (I did and now I'm hurting). Take your time and get a bloody good feel for what they are worth and know where to look for the hidden problems. The hardest thing to do is to set your emotions aside when actually viewing with the intent to purchase.

Heh Mike, it should back from the shop in about 8 weeks, give me about another year to put it all back together and she's all yours for your next God Zone trip.