IGNORED

usa old school nissan skyline owners

77JAPAN

you can add my 77 gc210 skyline japan on the list from las vegas, john

as or the R30 nickname... it is referred to TECHKAMEN, and the R31 is called the NEWMAN.

Hmmmm, I've read that there was a special Paul Newman version of the R30 Skyline, but never heard of a R31 Newman.

I first heard the R32 called Godzilla by an announcer during the broadcast of the touring car races at the time it was raced.

More correctly "Tekkamen" - a contraction of 'Tetsu Kamen'.

Tetsu = Iron

Kamen = Mask

Alan,

Nice to see you back and contributing your knowledge. Never heard of Tekkamen here. Maybe no interest in the DR30s in this part of Japan.

Lachlan,

No I've never heard of the R32 being called Obakemono. Maybe I'm not in the crowd or it's not something nice. Bakemono translates as "monster" so it may be an equivalent to the Aussie "Godzilla." Obakemono means Ghost, so maybe the people trying to explaln this are trying to "formalize" it by adding the polite "o" before the word (Japanese is so complex).

Miles

You never heard of the old R30 Silhouette race car referred to as IronMask? Really? I'm surprised but then again nothing's impossible... :)

Glad you guys posted the list although I did do a double take when I saw:

White KGC10 owned by Eric outside of L.A.

... for a split second there I thought the wife had a surprise coming that I didn't know about.... hahahaha... just kidding. ... although wouldn't that be something, eh?...

-e

Here is the list I have been able to compile.

Black (was white) '71 KGC10 owned by Wayne in Florida

Brian

I was at a local car show (Fort Walton Beach, Florida) on the weekend and met Wayne and his Black Skyline (a nice guy and a cool car). This was the first Skyline I've seen in the flesh. I wish I'd had my camera with me (I wasn't expecting to see anything other than American Muscle Cars). Wayne mentioned that they actually used his car during filming of Fast & Furious 3 (his car was parked in the background during the parking garage scene).

Cheers,

I spoke with Wayne and a friend of his (I think his name was Gord) about Z-Fest. Unfortunately, I didn't get Wayne's contact info. I did give my email address to Gord, so hopefully he'll drop me a line in the next few days, and I'll be able to get Wayne's contact info. If I do, I'll PM you with the info.

Cheers,

No I've never heard of the R32 being called Obakemono. Maybe I'm not in the crowd or it's not something nice. Bakemono translates as "monster" so it may be an equivalent to the Aussie "Godzilla." Obakemono means Ghost, so maybe the people trying to explaln this are trying to "formalize" it by adding the polite "o" before the word (Japanese is so complex).

Interesting Miles, and thank you for the translations! Maybe it's just us Westerners making stuff up (it wouldn't be the first time!) LOL

Newman raced R30s, featured in just about all of the Japanese sales campaigns and even had his own "PNV" (Paul Newman Version) R30 - as Craig said.