IGNORED

Free movie screening SUNDAY in LA for "Sex, Love and Z-Parts" starring a 280Z!

Nissan Sport ed

This is Marcus... I'm the writer/director of the film "Sex, Love & Z-Parts". I am sorry that so many of you took offense to the portrayal of the Z in the trailers and Z-cars in general. That was not my intention.

The Z-car trailer that you watched was never intended to been seen as a complete sequence. That trailer was complied at the request of Z owners like yourself who longed to see all the bits and pieces that are in the film as one complete sequence. The driving was intended to be wrecless and careless because the slides and such are used to "narrate" the film....IE I needed footage of tires spinning and fast moving backgrounds to convey intensity.

The characters in question who drive the 280Z aren't the smartest or most rational persons in the world...and hence it is conveyed by the way in which they drive.

I am not attempting to make a comment about Z cars or necessarily the people that drive them. It's a story about two guys who owe people money and the car that they love. The car is a character in the film (much more in the longer version).

That's my '77 in the film and it looks as it does because it's a Z that two guys are working on part time. I don't think it's really sincere to have a completely cherry car...as the subject of a story about a car that is being worked on....so aesthetically...the rust is a good thing.

Disco and Mitch (main characters) mistakenly believe that their '77 is a '76. It conveys to a select audience that these two don't know nearly as much as they pretend to...

and I'd also like to point out that this is not a film about Z cars (per se)....it's a film about two guys coming to grips with who they really are and how they have treated people....the Z that they drive is a metaphor for the type of men they see themselves as.

As far as the use of "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" ...this is a gritty story about low-lifes and shady characters - who tend not to say things like "gosh" and "darn". I am going for realism and I am parodying the use of stylized dialogue (Pulp Fiction, Scarface) ....I probably should have disclaimed that this is a film designed to provoke....but that's not my real point here.

I am a passionate Z owner and very serious about the history and legacy of the Z car. While you may not like the online presence of this film, please know that I go out of my way welcome Z owners and to get people interested in Z's. Whenever we screen this film....we field lots of questions about Z cars... and people clamor to find out where they can seem them (in the flesh and online). I merely want to create a sincere opportunity for people to see the cars that we are so crazy about. Because few persons seem to know what a Z is....till they see one.

At last Sunday's screening at The Arclight in Hollywood, we parked the picture car on the sidewalk. We posed it with the doors open and surrounded the car with plaques about why the 280Z is a significant model and what the entire history of the Z-car is. For 18 hours a crowd of strangers and passersby stopped and told stories about Z's they had owned, people that they had dated, ect.

Everytime I screen this film it is an opportunity to invite Z owners and let the culture speak for itself...and that's all I was trying to do.

As far as Nissan is concerned....I don't want to sell wares for major corporations... I want to make trippy films and get the Z the respect that has been long deserved.

As a Z owner you have the right to rip me to pieces if you feel that I am misrepresenting the Z or doing the legacy harm. But please know that the people who have seen this film...have had nothing but respect and awe for the Z-car. The film makes them curious to sit in one and curious to drive one and that was the motivation for the invitation.

Since we are gearing up to shoot the full length feature...we have been slowly gathering feedback from Z owners about how they feel about the project as a whole. I had not thought that I had presented the Z in a poor manner... but I can see how you can come to that assumption from strictly watching the trailers. We are currently deciding what type of driving and what type of stunts we wish to use in the feature...and if I hear you correctly....you'd prefer less of a tire chirpping "look at me in my Z approach" and more of a "responsible display of speed."

my personal email is cooprdog@aol.com in case you would prefer to tell me something directly vs. putting it a post on here about it.

thanx for your time.

Marcus D. Russell

Big Hit Productions

Since the characters are supposed to be evolving from 'rough' to (better), I would say that it would go together that the car evolve to something better too. Obviously not a course car, but at least you could get the rust off, the wheels shined, and probably the interior ( no good shots in the trailers) straightened out too. Like a community project to (rehabilitate) the two guys and the car?

I have no problem putting up with the rags-to-riches approach, but I think all the characters should stick together- including the language. I would probably walk out in the middle from all the f-words. Even low-lifes can make their point without all the profanity.

BTW- what wheels are those?

It looks like "ClassicZcars Film Studios" should get into this themselves?? LOL

Like a guy & his Z that goes from city to city, meeting Z bros & forming a caravan all the way to the 2008 National convention in Cleveland!

Not to mention a few pints, some pretty girls, and the occasional dusting of some rice...:bandit:

.. snip ... BTW- what wheels are those?

I believe those are Appliance Industries wheels. I have a similar set on my car. The wire baskets seperate from the wheel. Of course the front drivers or passenger wire wheel on my car has a tendecey to dislodge itself and fall off the car from centrifugal force. So mine haven't been on the car for a while.

dear marcus,

""""""" do what you like

every man who ever did anything of signifigance will have his critics. this site is full of zcar purist who love the vintage z as you do. but remember they love their car the most and anything else will be second. so build your dreamarri and make yourself proud. """""""""

the above is a statement i have made on this forum to someone who's preferences are different than mine. with the opportunity the to give you my thoughts directly, i will comend your effort and i recognise the skill level in your film but i am not at all interested in it's premise and use of recklessness... i will stand behind my use of clown but understand that in my eyes it only puts you in the same frame as the directors of many major films that made more money in a month than i have made in a lifetime. these films did so by marketing to a consumer far different than me, so "do what you like" and "make yourself proud". it would not suprise me if your harshest critics are from this forum in which case you are doing great.

cdavid

I noticed a shape on the wheel hub in one of the video clips, and it's probably an A.

Why not use a safety wire on your knock-offs? The spokes fall out???

The wheels in the video do have an "A" on them. They are a little different than mine.

Why don't I use a safety wire? Well it's pointless to use one when I only have three wire baskets. So I don't keep them on my car (I like the look without) My car use to be my uncles and he lost the wire baskets twice (I think he had a safety wire the second time after the first time, but it broke from the repeated torquing).

I was told by Arne in another thread that these were the "second worse aftermarket wheels" he has dealt with. So I never really bothered to put a lot of effort into finding another wire wheel.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20097&highlight=wheel+identification