IGNORED

240Z coverage in Nissan Sport far better than Sport Z!?

Nissan Sport ed

Okay S30 fans, we’re wrapping up the premiere issue of Nissan Sport and we've managed to wedge in a lot of 240Z/280Z coverage into the new magazine. Go to www.nissansportmag.com to see the table of contents.

You probably have a few questions and perhaps a few doubts. Understandable. After all, how can a magazine that is covering only the Z and G expand to cover all models and yet increase coverage? We not only increased page count 10 pages over Sport Z, but we've cleaned up the design and gone with a smaller but still easy-to-read font. The end result: 20+ extra pages of content.

So, what can you look for in every issue of Nissan Sport?

-EXPANDED feature coverage with four full features.

-EXPANDED motorsports coverage to three pages, including the Inside Line (now an op-ed column), racing Q&A, racing tips, and the Drift Corner.

-NEW! Five to seven one-page “featurettes,” complete with photos and mod list, allow us to cover far more cars

-NEW! Redline takes the place of “The Mole” and “Nissan Buzz” and is packed with even more news, rumors, and off-the-wall tidbits.

-NEW! A separate project cars section for our projects: 240Z, 350Z, G35, Spec V, and Pathfinder

-NEW! “The Scene,” an entire section devoted to events and club happenings. Includes an event calendar, coverage of all major events, club action, and partner websites.

-NEW! A full classifieds section, including parts and cars of all generations and prepared race cars.

-NEW! History coverage, including parting photographs, details on former Nissan/Datsun/Infiniti models, and historical pieces concerning the past of Datsun and Nissan.

-NEW! Complete DIY Tech section packed with tips, tricks, tests, how-tos, and Q&As (3X the number of questions as Ed’s Garage) from our panel of tech experts--including Nissan/Infiniti master techs.

-NEW! Product spotlights and reviews on the latest (and tried-and-true) aftermarket parts and accessories.

-NEW! An 8-times-a-year newsletter called the INSIDER. We’ve packed it with bonus coverage of the magazine, inside details on articles, behind-the-scenes access, discount specials, and more. Available for only an extra $9.95.

We’ve also added other features: a map for our partner clubs so it’s easier to find a club in your area, an advertising index so you can find product quicker, spotlights on hardcore “fanatic” enthusiasts, recall information, the best websites for your cars and trucks, world beat, auction action (what’s your car worth?), trivia, humor, and more.

How to order? Go now to www.nissansportmag.com or call 505-771-2374. Our low $12.95 intro rate special EXPIRES FRIDAY AUGUST 31. I'd also highly recommend the INSIDER newsletter. Qs? Write me at daveb@nissansportmag.com or call me at 505-890-1764. Enjoy the new magazine, it ships mid September.

Dave Bexfield

Managing Editor, Nissan Sport

www.nissansportmag.com

And Rich (rdefabri) will be happy to know that his winning photo for the CZC photo contest made it into this upcoming issue. Look for it on page 20.

And no, we did not doctor it. We used it as is.

Art

Blame your mail system. Cost us $3+ per issue to mail and then we cross our fingers and hope it gets there the first time. because if it doesn't, we start eating the cost of remailing another issue. Anywhere outside the US and it becomes a mailing nightmare.

How about a deal on the newsletter for all of us that are carrying over our Sport Z subscription to the new magazine. I had barely renewed when Sport Z tanked, we haven't seen a single issue yet and you are asking for more money from us already for coverage that goes beyond the magazine. Please explain this newsletter better and why the coverage isn't in the magazine or why the magazine doesn't increase the number of issues per year. I certainly hope this newsletter isn't some cleverly disguised ploy to cover all the subscriptions that you are eating from Sport Z. I do appreciate the fact that you folks have taken the high road and are honoring our subscriptions, but please give it to us straight. I only spend so much on targeted magazines to get the info I want and it stings a little personally when a magazine closes shop, especially one that I have supported sincew their inception. At least every issue, but one. Please enlighten me on giving money to a magazine that hasn't delivered a single issue yet. I know that I sound bitter and harsh, but here is your chance to set the record straight and give us a barometer by which to guide us later on down the road. There must be others thinking it, I am just without tact to ask it.

Sincerely

Jerry Urban

Thanks for the straight shot, Jerry. I'm sure you're not the only one thinking the same thing. That's why the first issue of the INSIDER is free to all subscribers so everyone can see exactly what we are talking about.

There are many reasons for not publishing bi-monthly right out of the gate: the cost of printing, the cost of mailing, lack of 6X advertising contracts (budgets preset to 4X), not enough staffing, etc.

One of the biggest complaints we received from Sport Z readers was that the magazine was too infrequent. Time sensitive material was out of date far before the issue arrived. That's why we decided to start the INSIDER--8 issues a year (every month Nissan Sport does not publish) means you get Z news every single month.

What's in the INSIDER? Think of it as the bonus features on a DVD. You can certainly enjoy the magazine (or movie) without it, but it fills in the gaps and give you more insight to your Nissan Sport experience. You'll see INSIDER icons throughout the magazine so you'll know when to look for more.

For example, in the first issue of the magazine, we didn't have room to run all the results from ZCon, MSA, and ZdayZ. Sure the best of show winners and Gold Medallion/Gold Cup get ink in the magazine, but this gives everyone some press. If an event happened just after we went to press, it would go into the INSIDER first.

We'll have updates on cars covered in the magazine. Maybe that new modifcation didn't work out so well after all, or that restoration tip was even better than expected. We'll have details that we couldn't squeeze in on certain cars or car owners that there was no room for without chopping out a photo or changing the flow of the article. Motorsports results will no longer be three months stale. Event reminders will be included, too.

We'll also add details on staff decisions. Why did we choose X for the cover and not Y? What was the reason for including car Z? Where did we disagree (what did we really think of the winning classiczcar photo)? The INSIDER will also have tips on how to get covered in the magazine--what to do and what not to do. When something new goes up on our website (or will shortly go up), INSIDER subscribers will get the news first. Since we'll be producing the newsletter while putting together the magazine, we might include sneak peeks at what's coming up in the new issue.

Perhaps the single biggest benefit (at least monitarily) of the INSIDER is deals only available to those with a subscription. Sold out back issues back on the block due to a recently found box (yup, we just found a box). Coupons and discounts for parts and accessories from our advertisers.

I hope this gives you a better idea. Is it worth just over a buck an issue? I think so. We purposely priced it low because we knew SZM readers like yourself would be hesitant at first. Understand that when mailing costs alone eat up nearly half the cost of an issue, there is scant room for profit, much less discounting.

I've rambled on much too long. If you have any questions, you know how to get in touch with me.

Dave Bexfield

www.nissansportmag.com

How to order? Go now to www.nissansportmag.com or call 505-771-2374. Our low $12.95 intro rate special EXPIRES FRIDAY AUGUST 31. I'd also highly recommend the INSIDER newsletter. Qs? Write me at daveb@nissansportmag.com or call me at 505-890-1764. Enjoy the new magazine, it ships mid September.

Dave Bexfield

www.nissansportmag.com

Dave; How are you guys going to make any money if your intro rate will be maintained for a FULL year? :devious: :rolleyes:

Or is my calendar that shows Friday as being September 1st, 2006 the one in error? :bandit: :nervous:

E

P.S.: I also placed my order for the Insider and extended my subscription out a year for both it and the magazine.