IGNORED

Splash Pans

nealkeith

I bought one of those pans a while back from Nissan Motosport for my C Production 240Z race car. They said they were NLA for 240Zs, so I went ahead and ordered one for a 260/280Z with the hope I could modify it to fit. They said I'd purchased the last new one available through Nissan in the country.

Long story short, I had to bend it up on the front edge to fit my car. I tried it out at California Speedway, where in the past my front end got so light through turns 1 and 2 that I could steer the car with one finger. Now with the increased downforce, I need two fingers to steer the car through those turns.

Any one in the Portland area that has a 280 with a splash pan ? I recently needed to replace my 240 radiator and I installed a 3 core 280 unit. As you know they extend down below the radiator support about 2'' . The 240 splash pan will not fit any longer unless I make a couple of cuts and reshape the front of it , when I add the 2'' filler that will protect the tank. I really dislike cutting into the stock pan and was wondering if some one had a 280 that I could compare to and see if I could make one of those work. I am going to look at the bone yard for one , but I don't get to them vary often any more as the local ones rarely have any Zs . Gary :bandit:

I'll tell you that this is a very complex sheetmetal stamping. I started taking measurements to make a pattern and gave up, and I'm an engineer.
When it gets to be that crazy, I get out the aluminum foil. You can tape sheets together to make bigger sheets, and it's infinitely shape-able. Finally, you can flatten out the whole mess, and lay it out on carboard, then metal.

I might consider making one for my 280Z if I could find a photo. I think I saw some bolt holes under there that I didn't recognize- I'll have to go look again.

Okay, fair enough. I just thought, based on the above comment, that rather than attempting to make one, you might be inerested in getting the one that was designed for your car especially when she's giving it away for the cost of postage.

When I purchased my 72 Datsun 240Z, it was equipped with a 280Z radiator that extended below the clip. The splash pan was missing. I was able to locate one in California (the owner had removed it because it was in the way. It was in almost new condition.).

I removed the 280Z radiator and purchased one from US Radiator (Five core high efficiency. They also manufacture the "Dessert Cooler" and triple cross-flow radiator).

I then installed the splash pan. I have had no overheating problems (even at the Dallas/Ft. Worth ZCCA Convention the end of May and first week in June).

The temperatures were constantly 95+ degrees F. Includes a lot of slow city driving with long periods if idling.

post-894-14150798225688_thumb.jpg