IGNORED

Off goes my baby...

xray

Thanks for the details...I was thinking it would cost at least 6K and was curious what experience people had between different paint manufacturers. I can only think of two off the top of my head, PPG and DuPont and had heard paint and clearcoat can run up to 3K...you're estimate sounds really reasonable for the amount of labor that goes into prepping the body.

Yeah, looking at my estimate it's about a 90/10 split. 7k for labor, $700 for materials. Of course, an estimate is only an estimate, so it will probably be higher when it's all said and done...

JMark, I'll happily point as many people as possible to this shop if I feel like I'm satisfied!

SRC

• 2 months later...

So, car's about 75% stripped with self-etching primer applied. Should be done in the next two weeks, then it's time for body repair/bumping/filling etc.

So far no big surprises, but it's still early in the "discovery" phase. The roof waves still look to be the biggest problem, but I feel a late surge by the rocker panels may make it a tough race.

It's been a great interaction with the body guy so far. I stop by every ten days or so, bring some bagels, and we chat and shoot the breeze some. He knows I want my car done, but also knows that I know it will take some time. He's got a constant 5-6 other projects going, and being a 2-man shop, mine gets put off more often than the other bread and butter stuff.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a late December completion, but March may be more realistic.....

Steve

post-7009-14150798725444_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150798725682_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150798725878_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150798726007_thumb.jpg

post-7009-1415079872614_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

More progress since the last updat in October...6 months and counting.

...It'll be done by end of the year:love:

...It'll be done by February:nervous:

..It'll be done by late February:tapemouth

You get the picture (especially those of you getting your cars painted currently--Mally002 et al)

But don't get me wrong. This guy has been thorough, methodical and does excellent work. :love: Bumps out every dent, primes, sands, primes, sands, fills here and there (Evercoat, IIRC) and finishes with primer sealer prior to painting. Everything's done but the roof, and hopefully that'll get smoothed out over the next week or so.

I have a little concern over whether the lime paint will look OK over the black primer, but I trust this guy's 20+ years of experience. He's very happy with how things have progressed (including finding NO unpleasant surprises during the stripping process!), and I'll rely on his judgment about paint color over primer color...

Yeah, I'm over budget by 10% with lots of work to go. But I knew the original estimate was a ballpark. And, if the final product approaches what it looks like it will, I'll be very pleased indeed!

More pics as progress allows!

Thanks,

Steve

post-7009-14150799832964_thumb.jpg

post-7009-141507998335_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799833937_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799834387_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799835164_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799835649_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150799836244_thumb.jpg

It looks like your two man team is doing quality work. That is better than a rush job where things might get overlooked. By it being filler work for them and not being pushed out the door, it gives them time to think about it more and do it right. It will be worth the wait, but sure does look lonely in that first pic sitting in the corner all by its self. :(

Thanks for the encouragement. The anticipation has been killing me, don't worry. I just keep it under as best I can! It's given me the chance to work in the garage, though, with all the extra space. Everything's just about ready to go back into the car with a few exceptions--engine harness, brake/fuel/clutch hard lines and some miscellaneous stuff.

Hopefully the Z will be back on the road by June/July in all of its lime glory!

Steve