IGNORED

Fixing your Z clock

monkeyman

You're right Arne, it takes such a minute tweak on that screw to equal several minutes that 3-5 a week....I'd live with it.

Heck, I'm living with 3+ minutes a DAY. It kind of works out, if I get in the car and I have to set the clock back more than 15 / 20 minutes, it's been almost a full week since I last drove her and re-set the clock. And it reassures me it is still working!

E

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

There has been some discussion about how to go about fixing the clocks that are driven by the small electric motor. I managed to fix the type that are driven by a small electric circuit. I promised to write up something and post it. I finally did it. I couldn't help myself from drawing up a few things and trying to make my little write-up look nice. I was pretty happy with it and showed my wife last night. She called me a nerd! How do you like that?!

I have attached it (hope this works)

If anyone has any corrections or comments, I would love to hear them.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I just finished the restauration of my 260Z coupe and the only thing missing was a working clock.

But with your help the job is realy finish now.

Many thanks

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I posted the 'How to fix your early Z clock' a while ago now. I have realized that I made a mistake with the transistor pin-outs. I have fixed this error and will try to attach the document to this post. Has anyone tried using the 2N3904 transistor? I never heard much of whether this helped anyone, maybe it didn't because of the mistake I made.

Is it possible to remove the document I originally posted? I would rather it not be used due to the mistake in it.

Eric

How to fix your 260Z or 280Z clock - rev 1.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome file Eric!! I don't have my car with me yet (just moved) but last time I had it out I noticed the clock slowed down and died. (while I'm assuming that it might just need some oil...) The actual technical side being represented here is great. I'm new to this forum, so I'm impressed by the technical section of posts. Thanks!! I'll let you know if I end up rewiring mine.

Several weeks now. Still gaining 3-5 minutes per week. I might have to try to slow it down some, but I'd likely go way too far, so I'll probably leave it as is.

Arne,

The early clock you repaired is going strong in #32 now after spending several months in #237. I tried repairing a couple of the early clocks about a year ago with no luck, but I decided to give it one more try last night, and got two of the five I tried up and running so far.

-Mike

• 1 year later...

I just got a Quartz clock. The clock is working but it's not reading accurately. At first, the clock falls behind all the time. Then sometimes it gets stuck. After searching in the forum, I did try and lube the clock. Now it worked, but the problem I am having now is that the clock is now in reading fast.

I can't find any screw inside the clock that can be adjusted from Slow to Fast.

Is there any solution how to accurately adjust the Quartz clock?

Thanks

draztik280,

The quartz clock doesn't have a manual adjustment.

If the clock is not keeping the correct time it needs to be rebuilt

as it will soon stop all together. You should have looked for my post

I wrote several years ago about OILING your clock...don't do it!

These clocks we never oiled or lubricated by the manufacture and for several good reasons. Oil will only bleed out on to critical areas and finally

stain the clock face and plastic parts.

Your clock needs to be rebuilt. If your interested and having your clock refurbished correctly please see my web site at:

www.zclocks.com

Ron

Thanks ron. I read that post right now. I didn't know about the denatured alcohol. I will try and clean that up and remove the oil. If it won't fix the problem. I still have an extra one. I will definitely send these to you and have them fix since I have heard alot of members here about you. Thanks for the help.

Edited by draztik280

• 9 years later...

My Dad used to "fix" his work (logger) pocket watch by soaking it in clean diesel oil and letting it drain. He kept cheap ones going for years that way. Would it be worthwhile to lightly lube the works of these old clocks with a super light weight oil like turbine oil?

• Like 2