IGNORED

Triple Carb

red_dog007

I will say the SU's are a breeze compared to the tripples, at least for me. I tune the SU's with the help of the Ztherapy video in about one hour. The tripples took days with tinkering and conflicting advice from different people, but I finnaly got it right, with help from others of course.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran my tripple dellortos daily for more than 3 years. I commuted in stop and go traffic every day. I even drove the car in the winter and in the snow. As for my recomendation, I'd suggest getting a 3.90 R200 and a ZX 5 speed. The difference in gearing will make a big improvement in acceleration, and the overdrive will make it nice on the highway. And get rid of the points ignition. I think it's pointless to try to get much more power out of a L24. Especially spending over a grand on webers. Don't get me wrong, I love my tripples, just not on a stock motor.

I have a L24 with triples and I love it. I did however rebuild the engine and it has been bore .060 over I also have ZX Trans. I now have 2 1/2 pipe connected to Jet Hot coated headers. The biggest noticable difference came when I added the E31 head and put the valve from my P90 head with a mild port & polish and a stag 2 cam. That L24 became a beast.

I have a F54 block that I plan to build next. I would say getting triples is great and you can improve power over time. Don't spend too much on the

L24 block. Everything you spend should be something you can use later on a L28 block.

As far as a 6.x sec 1/8 mile That's going to cost you a bunch. I'm running in the 6's with my Busa and it is way faster than my z or my 72 Road Runner GTX.

I just watch the stroker video on youtude and they where only running 12 & 13 in the 1/4. I think you'd have to maybe go V8 to get that kind of speed.

here's the ones that I used have on my Z. The intake was custom built by some one else but I modified it and cleaned it up. I had to make a custom throttle linkage and move one of the float bowls towards the firewall, but it ran great. The carbs were way out of sync and I did'nt know how to tune them at the time so I put my duels back on.

Dave

post-4921-14150799737393_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150799737828_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150799738231_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150799738583_thumb.jpg

post-4921-1415079973891_thumb.jpg

I ran my tripple dellortos daily for more than 3 years. I commuted in stop and go traffic every day. I even drove the car in the winter and in the snow. As for my recomendation, I'd suggest getting a 3.90 R200 and a ZX 5 speed. The difference in gearing will make a big improvement in acceleration, and the overdrive will make it nice on the highway. And get rid of the points ignition. I think it's pointless to try to get much more power out of a L24. Especially spending over a grand on webers. Don't get me wrong, I love my tripples, just not on a stock motor.

Yeah, that is what I am wanting to get. The R200 3.90 and a ZX 5-Speed.

After I get the interior, and exterior finished, I am thinking of just taking the car to Rebello to get it stroked, triple carb, 5-speed and the r200 installed all at the same time. I could and would love to do all this work, but stroking it isnt something that I want to do, so I might just have Rebello do the rest while they are already under the hood.

I have got triple 40s with a mild cam on a 280 with flat tops, in my 260Z and love the sound and the more I use it the better it gets. Yes there is a bit of mucking around to get them right and if you just dribble around town they run rough at low revs but give it a big squirt and the Z really grunts. I just hope that I am not the first 50 year old to loose his car through the recently introduced hoon legislation, by getting it sideways on the freeway on ramp!

As far as a 6.x sec 1/8 mile That's going to cost you a bunch.

I made the 1/8 mile comment but as Jon pointed out, he most likely meant 0-60 in 6 sec. I hadn't really considered how quick a 6 sec eighth mile car would be since I'm more accustomed to 1/4 mile times.

Since I have not installed a set of ZTherapy 2" SUs on a stock L24 engine or triples either for that matter I have no proof they do or do not improve the quickness of a Z over say FI. Doing head work and then installing either of the above will indeed increase hp (for money of course). I've only put them on 3.0 and 3.2 stroker L28s. I don't doubt a conversion to EFI w/a megasquirt might get me a few more hp and some better driveability, but if you have never heard the sound of the triples sucking air as you push down on the gas pedal, then you can't imagine the great pleasure it produces in the brain (and the seat of your pants as well).

Not withstanding the other re: ZX dizzy, 3:90 diff and ZX 5-spd which are all good suggestion (ones I've done as well), if you looking to do faster there are only two ways that I am aware of:

1) add more hp/torque

2) reduce the weight of the vehicle (lose 300-400 pounds)

More hp is a money issue plain and simple. Reducing weight requires money as well but will force you to make changes to your car most people are not willing to do for a daily driver or weekend vehicle or perhaps allowed by their respective State MV laws.

I second and third that........ I have the 3:90 R-200 and the 79' ZX 5-speed in my 70'. I also have a Mallory Unilite with Promaster 60,000 volt Coil and that is backed up with an MSD 6A. I probably gained 15 to 20 HP with that ignition set-up alone.

My take off is faster and my freeway milage is AWSOME. On the trip down to the Z Nationals last year, I averaged over 28 miles per gallon. And keep in mind that I still have the original 150,000 mile block and an E-88 head with dual S.U.'s. 225/50r16's probably helped out too.

jm2cw,

Dave.

• 4 months later...
I have got triple 40s with a mild cam on a 280 with flat tops, in my 260Z and love the sound and the more I use it the better it gets. Yes there is a bit of mucking around to get them right and if you just dribble around town they run rough at low revs but give it a big squirt and the Z really grunts. I just hope that I am not the first 50 year old to loose his car through the recently introduced hoon legislation, by getting it sideways on the freeway on ramp!

I could've wrote this. I too put a fresh L28 in my 260 2+2 and added the tripple Webbers. As any Z expert knows, any carburation upgrade on the 260 helps, as the stock carbs were, plainly put, "CRAP". Granted, my L26 was done and an L28 is better, right?

Point is, I had a new car feeling, a sound unlike never before, performance out the ying yang, and let's not forget the Ohs and Ahs when the hood is lifted.

BTW, I'm only about a half year away from the big 50 myself.

post-12884-14150800853704_thumb.jpg

Damn this really sucks, with some of the info in this thread I had to add that these 40's are a PIA to get right, so if you dont have alot of exp with tripples you might wanna look around for someone that does, and GOOD LUCK, it's a dieing art. I have the 40's on my l26, bored 30 mild cam headers exhaust and all, and like everyone is saying, they are alittle rough at low rpms, but smooth at high revs, I have synch and resynch and tried alot of different setups but just dyno'd mine and could only produce 127 max whp and 130 max torque, air to fuel in 12 to 14 range.