IGNORED

The L28R Engine

Well all I can say is that nothing has been found to contradict what had been told to me 18 odd years ago or what I had seen with my own eyes. Maybe Danie can shed some light on the subject. He might know more of the engines origins and specifications.

The Nissan bloke definately called it a racing motor and told me that is what the R stood for. It did not look and different to a normal motor. As I think I already had said, I did know anything about it until I had the head off for larger valves. But they could not put bigger in. That's when I knew something was different about my engine.

I do remember the inlet manifold did not have that much polution kit on it. It looked the same shape as the Jap 2.4E available in Oz, but it did not have that large valve at the back, just a blanking plate. I wish I had photos of it.

Anyway time will tell. I'm just glad to find another.

Well all I can say is that nothing has been found to contradict what had been told to me 18 odd years ago or what I had seen with my own eyes.

But Bruce, there's plenty to contradict the quote that this was a "racing engine"........ In fact, I see NO evidence whatsoever that it was ever produced and sold to the public in SA as part of any homologation effort. If it did, what cars used it, and where and when did they race?

The Nissan bloke definately called it a racing motor and told me that is what the R stood for. It did not look and different to a normal motor. As I think I already had said, I did know anything about it until I had the head off for larger valves. But they could not put bigger in. That's when I knew something was different about my engine.

The thing is, most 'race' engines - even those used in a spec series or a limited class - would be virtually free to use whatever sized valves they wanted to in a production head. There would have been little need for Nissan ( even Nissan SA ) to sell big valve-equipped cars to the general public, and the engine in the car shown is miles away from being anything that could be described as a true 'race' spec, isn't it? I'd be very pleased to be proved wrong ( maybe there was a one-make race series for the R30 Skyline in SA during the mid-Eighties? ) but maybe my idea of a true 'race' engine is quite different to that of others.....

Big valves, high compression and a free-flowing head point towards a sporty sub-model intended for road use, but I still think it is a long way from a "racing" engine - sorry!

Alan T.

But Bruce, there's plenty to contradict the quote that this was a "racing engine"........ In fact, I see NO evidence whatsoever that it was ever produced and sold to the public in SA as part of any homologation effort. If it did, what cars used it, and where and when did they race?

From where I stand I think it's pretty obvious that when nissan SA call this a "race" motor, they're using the term quite loosely (i.e. it was the marketing departments decision). Gotta flog off an old car with an old motor? Slap in some bigger valves, higher compression and a few other goodies, make a hand full more HP, call it a race motor you're selling cars again!

I see no point in even arguing about homogolation, or what series it may have raced in, it probably never did. What far more interesting is that we do have a fairly rare and unknown variant of the L-series motor here. :)

Bigger bearings could be referring to oversize bearings, meaning smaller diameter journals for less friction. Although that's kinda the redneck way of doing it, and oversize bearings are more prone to spinning also, I think. Still, could be possible.

Maybe it was "R" for Rhodesia model?:cheeky::P

R for Rand? :D

I saw this particular car a few weeks ago at the Skyline Nationals (Jim would remember it) and I have to say it did sound a little lumpy and lopey, not that I thought much of it at the time.

Yeah, marketing gimmick sounds more like it. Well, they they did make the 140Z. :)

Could well be - much like the Paul Newman R30 Skyline (here is a link to one of the original ads http://jdmnissanskyline.blogspot.com/2007/09/blog-post_6825.html). On another note it will be a sad day very soon when Paul does pass as he is not very well at all.

And as many Australian/Kiwi's will remember the Ford Falcon XC Corba Coupes which were all the remaining XC Coupe with some engine work and a white paint with blue stripe and some badging, was just a marketing exercise to sell off the last of the XC bodies as the new XD falcon was already heading to the dealers showrooms. Worth a bit now for just a run out special too.

Edited by NZeder

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 1971 240z (12/70) fitted with a 2.8L Nissan engine number L28R902644X. The database at partstrain.com says my engine comes from a Nissan Skyline R30.

I am interested to find out if there are any updates on this thread. I have scoured the web for info on L28R engines, but this is the only thread I could find. More importantly, in what year/model cars was this engine originally installed by the factory?

Thanks in advance for your time.

post-23632-14150813921312_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arne

Engine blocks with "R" and "X" stamped on the engine block # area are factory rebuilt bare engines, sold by Nissan parts department as replacement engines, rather than engines that were used in certain model/market/spec cars.

I know this for sure because I have two factory remanufacturerd engines stamped this way. Nothing special otherwise, no "racing" bullshit or anything like that. I would guess that the "R" means "Remanufactured" or Rebuilt or mayeven be Recalled (?) or something of that nature.

Eiji