IGNORED

Electric fan or new fan clutch/shroud for my 240z?

Jayru

Had my 240 in 100+ heat a few years ago, moving well, but pulling a good hill with traffic close ahead of me, was running near the high side of the temp gauge. Still running a stock style 2 row radiator. Fan clutch in proper working order. I want to have a new radiator made up for mine, but the one shop I trust to do it closed 2 years ago. I keep mine out of the heat these days.

Devin

actually after running the electric fan for a short while, I'm NOT satisfied with it's performance...:( ... Happily I kept the original fan/clutch and have re-instated it. although the electric fan does reduce drag on the engine, I dont believe the difference is significant.

well honetsly for mine i have the v8 conversion and a 4 row with a electric fan does know justice but it solely depends on your fans me i personally like clutch fans but in my case i run both elec on a thermostatic control and my clutch and it seems to stay cool i run now about 180 when i use to run at 200 so that give u a better idea but the bigger radiator is need a 4 row is a better buy for money in long shot look for what u pay for the 3 rowbut reallly ur setup is really gonna make the variation on what u need

• 12 years later...

Imho, an auxiliary fan will help but the hot air needs to be vented, otherwise, the fan will just be moving around hot air. A combination of a fan and vents will work much better. The vents can be a late 280 hood or cutting louvers in the side access panels by the hood.

Another idea for consideration is a flex fan. The vast majority of our members think flex fans suck, and that may be polite. My experience with one was good. I installed one on my 71 when the OEM fan clutch seized. One of the first things I noticed was it took longer for the temp. gauge to rise in traffic, which told me the fan was pulling more air at idle than my original metal seven bladed fan. I also liked the way the blades flattened out around 2000-2500 rpms. My original plan was to go back to the OEM fan set-up but the flex fan worked so well that I ran it for another 20 years. One of the things that still bothers me about the OEM fan clutch is everyone that I've ever spun by hand felt different. The resistance was never the same.

I don't have a pic at this time but I do remember that along with the flex fan there was also a 3" spacer that fits between the water pump and the fan to locate the fan about an inch or so from the rad. The spacer was supplied by the fan manufacturer. Later today I'll try to pry the hood open and get a pic and measurements for you.

35 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

We had a discussion about flex fans back in Sept. 2016. Not surprisingly the thread was titled "Flex Fans". @TomoHawk was thinking about buying one and @psdenno had run one for years. Do either one of you have the part # for the fan and spacer?

Sorry, no help with the part # for the flex fan I bought in 1979.  There is one listed on eBay at:

https://www.ebay.com/i/173624848712?chn=ps

I bought the flex fan because it was an inexpensive replacement for the stock unit that had just gone through my radiator.  It worked, not sure it was any better or worse at cooling than the stock fan and clutch set up.  Replaced the flex fan with a stock fan and clutch about 2007.  I think I probably pitched the flex fan and spacer but can check in the garage.

Dennis