Sign in to follow this  
CoastGuardZ

Strut... bushing thingy?

Alright y'all. I'm in the middle of swapping out my front struts (for Tokico HP's) and springs (Eibach). Once I got the whole deal apart I noticed that inside the Upper Spring Seat there is a red dusty residue which was aparently a bushing at one point in time. Does anyone know if this piece is readily available? It isn't a listed part in the MSA catalog, unless it's part of #23-4361 Spring Seat. Any advice?

Thanks

-Nate

post-2476-14150797209234_thumb.jpg

post-2476-1415079720981_thumb.jpg

This is simply a bump stop. You can replace it with any aftermarket bump stop such as those from Energy Suspension, or go with the stock rubber replacement from Black Dragon/VB.

the part number is 23-4376 and called an upper strut bearing, they are $22.46 each (page 83 2 items below the spring seat listing

Very common iten that almost always need replacing after 34+ years. do both.

Mine was also a "red dusty MESS" and the bump stop had split in half

Alright y'all. I'm in the middle of swapping out my front struts (for Tokico HP's) and springs (Eibach). Once I got the whole deal apart I noticed that inside the Upper Spring Seat there is a red dusty residue which was aparently a bushing at one point in time. Does anyone know if this piece is readily available? It isn't a listed part in the MSA catalog, unless it's part of #23-4361 Spring Seat. Any advice?

Thanks

-Nate

Nate:

What you have discovered it that the "bump stop" that is integral to the upper spring seat has dried out and turned to dust over the years. It is meant to keep your strut inserts (cartridges) from bottoming out and being destroyed. It's a common thing to find this 35 year old part to be gone.

It is not available separately as an OEM part, you'd have to replace the entire upper spring seat to get it back to OEM. However, it IS available in Polyeurothane from MSA and other places like Black Dragon (VB), etc.

No matter what it is (bearing or bushing) rubber or metal) REPLACE them BOTH! Your whole strut assembly pivets on that bearing and the bump stop helps to protect it. Replace 'em both.

JM2CW

Dave

the part number is 23-4376 and called an upper strut bearing, they are $22.46 each (page 83 2 items below the spring seat listing

There is a bearing also but it is between the mount insulator and spring seat. This is between the seat and the strut rod. Enigma seems to have it with the Bump stop. Now I'm curious how tall the original one is/was so that maybe I can pick a generic one up at Autozone or Advance, they usually carry some Energy Suspension stuff.

Thanks again... I always love the quick response and outpouring of help.

Nate

Dave I think you're right with the replace them both strategy... just kinda sucks, I haven't got to drive it yet since the snow melted and the salt washed away. Oh, well guess I'll have to wait another couple of weeks.

Nate

Nvm...........you guys hashed it out.

When doing my suspension, I replaced the front strut bearings, the rear strut spacers with items from VB, and replaced the bump stops with cut down versions of the ones that came with my Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit. The Tokico spring installation instructions recommended cutting down the bump stops to minimize the amount of travel lost by installing shorter springs.

Mine was also a "red dusty MESS" and the bump stop had split in half

Dave: Which catalog are you looking at?

I have the current (I think) MSA catalog and I can't find the part # you mentioned. (cover is gray and has purple 240Z and 350Z on it. It's only a year or 2 old)

I did find PN # 23-4196 on Page 97 which is for a pair of Urethane Bump Stops @ $15.95

EDIT: On Pg 118 I find the part number you mentioned, but it is for the actual roller bearing that allows the strut assembly to rotate to make right and left turns

there are 2 pivot points on each strut. Upper strut bearing (PN 23-4376) and the lower ball joint (PN 23-4301)

PN's are from the yellow 20th anniversary Edition from MSA (copy right 2002)

there are 2 pivot points on each strut. Upper strut bearing (PN 23-4376) and the lower ball joint (PN 23-4301)

PN's are from the yellow 20th anniversary Edition from MSA (copy right 2002)

Yeah, I did the ball joints at the end of last summer. I'm going to order the bump stops and bearings... probably should order the rear spacers I'm sure they're toast too. Any other suggestions?

What is wrong with the bearings? Do you see or feel something wrong with them? It's not like the rotate millions of times like wheel bearings, so they are a very low wear item and almost always can simply be washed in solvent and regreased. As for the spacers in the rear, they seldom need replacement either as they are pretty well protected from weather, but on the other hand they don't cost much.

mine were toast when I did the partial resto. The P.O. did'nt have caps up top and some how, the bearings were completely dry, rusty, and had flat spots in each of the inner bearing. they were'nt even re-packable at that point.

And also consider this. Under heavy braking and turning, you're putting at the very least, 1/3 of the cars weight on that bearing. If the upper strut nut has ever had any play in it over the last 34 years, the bearing has takin the grunt of that slack.

Thats the reasoning behind my suggestion.

Dave.

And you could always use the strut old spacers to make a couple spindle pin pullers. :)

I ordered my front strut bearings and rear strut spacers before examining the old ones. Turns out I didn't need to replace them but I will anyway.