IGNORED

Front Pulley removal

rtaylor

Randy, on my '73 with the dealer installed AC I too had the 3rd pulley. However, it turned out that the middle pulley was the one that lined up with the AC compressor. So I left the outer (3rd) pulley off. I figured less mass on the crank was a good thing.

I took all of the suggestions and used my impact on the front bolt and it came off smoothly. Then I used a pulley puller and the pulley came off smoothly as well. Next, the distributor was pulled and this weekend I'll pull the oil pump which will then allow me to get the darn front cover off. What alot of work just to fix a broken bolt, but now I have a better understanding of the componets that sit in front of the block.

• 4 weeks later...

I am now in the process of putting the front pulley back on. I notice that there is a keyway on both the pulley and the crank. But I looked in the box where I placed the pulley after removal and found no key. Here's a really dumb question, is there supposed to be a key installed, and if so, since it has mysteriously vanished, where would I get one?:stupid:

Yes, you need the key! A "real" auto parts store should have them. Here in CO the larger Napa stores carry them. The Autozone/Checkers don't. I don't know how they are sized, but I'd measure the keyway on the crank as well as you can and then buy a few of them around that size. They're not expensive and once you're back home you'll be able to see which fits best.

Perhaps others can be more specific, but that's how I'd solve it.

Good luck!

Yes you will need a keyway. Most part houses have keyway selections. Just take your pulley/balancer into the store and get them to match it up. You may want to check the floor and wherever you carried the pullies. It probably fell out sometime after you pulled the pulley. Interesting way to learn about the L6 engine!

There is supposed to be a key. A Woodruff key is what it's called. Actually there are three. One for the timing chain gear, one for the oil pump gear, and one for the pulley. They're all the same any you only need the front one. 00926-51600 is the part number and last time I needed one (8/04) the Nissan dealer had them. It's a 5x16 woodruff key if you want to try a hardware store but I think you'd be better off with OEM.

Thanks guys. I checked with the local Nissan dealer and he has one in stock. Thanks for the part number Stephen, that helped alot!

All my learning experiences seem to be "interesting" ZSaint. Funny how it works that way...

I too suggest the OEM key. A nice snug fit in the crank and pulley keyways is important, a little slop could make a mess over time. Be careful when installing the pulley that the key doesn't get pushed up/back in the crank slot and bind the pulley or "bugger up" the grooves. If the key is firmly seated in the bottom of the crank keyway and the key "flat" surface is parallel with the crank you'll have no problem.

I would also wonder where the original key went. Perhaps a quick inspection to insure it didn't drop into the pan?

Enjoy the project.

Jim you raise an issue I had not even thought of. I could swear that I did not drop it in the driveway when pulling the pulley. I just reinstalled the front cover and water pump. The motor is not out of the vehicle. If the key dropped it would have slipped down the inside of the front cover into the oil pan? How would I do an inspection? pull the front cover back off and try and get a magnet inserted down the space between the front of the block and the pan? The woodruff key should be magnetic, right?

Would it do any damage if I left it in the pan? This all started because of a broken bolt on my water pump. Oh woe is me

I don't recall the amount of space at the front of the pan to work with trying the magnet trick. AIR, a small flexible magnet may work and yes, the key should stick to it nicely. If it did fall in and you have not had a lot movement in the area, it probably isn't far.

As far as leaving it in the pan (if it is truly there) :ermm:

I'd be uncomfortable if it was my car.