IGNORED

25 Z cars and shop full of parts

Zzone70

• 3 weeks later...

If you would be willing to ship parts PLEASE, PLEASE contact me directly at gealicpride@yahoo.com. I know that the car needs (for beginners) a battery, tires and brakes. The gut I bought it from threw in a lot of extras but one thing I am trying to find is calipers...he opened the right driver side by mistake. :classic:

If he just opened the blead valve, and let in air, then you probably just neet to purge the system. Not replace the caliper. The procedure is probably on this site somewhere. If not get a Chiltons guide, or factory manual... Either is cheap insurance against the dreaded, " wonder how you do that syndrom" It can save a lot of money, by keeping from you from being a victom of so called experts that just want an easy mark. Most of the maintenance on a Zcar is relatively easy.. NO computers you know.... The parts are also relatively cheap (as long as you are not looking for race parts.) So owning a Z is a good choice for anyone willing to performe some or all of their own repairs.

Part of the problem is the guy I bought it from isn't quite sure what he did. He told me that he was trying to replace the brakes, opened the caliper, had fluid going everywhere and the car, then, would pull badly to the right. I am not a mechanic but have aquired a lot of books on the Z's so that I can, hopefully, muddle through some of this. The one thing I hate is going to a shop and having them try to hose me because I am female. I saw a Caliper repair kit on E-Bay and have been keeping an eye on it but am still trying to find another way or source for parts. I think my project for the weekend (as long as it doesn't rain) will be to pull the tires off and take a look see....

Thanks!!

If the PO in fact opened the caliper (taken it apart), that isn't good. I've ready that you should never do that.

You can get remanufactured calipers from MSA for $62.34 each side -- or $59.95 from Victoria British.

Or you can get used ones from the junk yard for a few bucks and rebuild them with a kit that costs about $12.95 that does both sides. As long as the pistons and bores are not pitted or worn excessively it is a good way to go. You will need some compressed air to get the pistons out.

hmsports...you said that i would need compressed air to get the piston out. is there any other way? i don't have access to tools like that. i have a very meager tool kit that, weekly, gets a new look from Sears. there is always something new i seem to need to buy...go figure, a girl that loves craftsmen toys :bunny:

You might be able to use the air from a service station. What you need is a tip on the air line similar to:

airfitting.gif.

I'm sure a reputable place will let you borrow the air line or even do it for you -- if not free, for a couple of bucks.

I've never tried any other way to get the piston out. This has always been the easiest. Check in your chiltons/haynes manual to see if it explains the process.

Rick

BTW - Sounds like you're a car guy's dream come true!

Yes, she does sound like a car guy's dream come true. That might be why she is getting a pitt bull! LOL

You should be able to get caliper re-build kits from Napa, Advance Auto or any good auto parts store locally. They might have to order them, but it might be cheaper than buying them off Ebay.

If you need a rebuildable caliper I may have a few here. I have taken them apart without using an air compressor (I didn't always have the right tools either) but it is hard to explain how to do it. But it can be done.

I agree with Rick, if he has taken the caliper itself apart, it may be better to find another one if the PO wasn't sure of what he was doing.

You will find plenty of people here that can just about guide you through anything you may try to do with a Z car.