IGNORED

Exhaust configuration advice

SavannahZ

I have finally decided on what to do for my exhaust. I have read and re-read most posts on this topic...but, I thought maybe some fresh perspective could be tapped.

I have been torn between doing a fuel cell and dual pipes or a simple, yet effective 2.5. I have decided to go with a 2.5 with a dynomax bullet race muffler as a pre-muffler(#24236) and then a dynomax ultra-flow SS muffler in the rear(#17283). I am going to purchase the SS pipe and SS mandrel bends online and have a local exhaust shop weld them up.

In my search I have seen other people do this and the pre-muffler is tucked up nicely. The pipe then goes to the back with two 90º bends.

I'm also going to have a bung welded in so I can start analyzing my air/fuel mix. I'm researching wideband/narrowband sensors and it is opening up a lot of new doors for tuning.

Does anyone have any advice for this setup?

If I don't get it tightly tucked, is going straight back from the header ok? What are the bend angles I could order to go slightly up and over _ before the pre-muffler? 15º? It would have to be kind of a "S" .....( _/ )

Has anyone heard a car with these before?

Thanks

Jonathan,

Here is the info on a wideband kit, it is available in almost any configuration form all of the parts to PCB only(I bought the kit sans the sensor). It uses GM sensors that are available at almost any parts store(or Cash-N-Cary(local upull it)).

For your exhaust, get the mufflers, and a section or two of convoluted tubing and rough in the fit you want, then buy your stainless from the measurements you take from the rough in...

Will

Jonathan,

Sounds like a good set up. I myself prefer just pipe no mufflers at all on the Z. Loud and proud I guess LOL. When are you planning to do this? I would love to hear how it sounds. Is it going to give you a quiet sound or a little rumble in the Z. I know Mickey @ Asian Imports said he would do my exhaust for 300.00 for everything including the mufflers. No headers though. He said it would be 2 ½ all the way back with a Dynomax muffler. I am almost sure you can get the parts and do it yourself cheaper though. I know Mickey would run it right and real tight in there.

Will,

Cash N Carry what a great place, I’m like a teenager in a mall when I go. LOL

Mickey would do a great job, I'm sure, but his will be crush bent with a generic non stainless turbo muffler. I bet it would do the trick, but I want this system to last a long time. Both mufflers will be $142.00 shipped and the tubing is pretty cheap online. There are some fantastic deals on ebay too. It's the mandrel bends that start getting pricey, but on our cars we'll only need two ninties and possibly a couple s bends if you really want it tucked...I think. I'm running a 2" right now with an almost blown random turbo muffler. It sounds good and I'm getting what I think is good performance. Mickey says that the 2.5 will really open up the top end. We'll see. The pre-muffler is a straight through race design that won't impede flow, just hopefully knock out the resonance that so many complain about.

As far as the sound goes, I think it will have a nice deep rumble at idle and then really start barking at around 3500 rpm. Dynomax is known to be a little on the loud side...another reason for two mufflers. Others have done this same setup, I just was hoping to get some further opinions. I should come in at around $350 in the end. I'll let you know how the shop turns out.

I am probably going to ask him to install just one muffler so I can he how it turns out, and then install the other. I'll take sound samples of these both and then post them online. I'm still going to make a web page of all z exhaust configurations. I'm thinking with all the z clubs chiming in, I should be able to catalog quite a few options.

By the way, did either of you go to the post holiday party? Good time? I wish I could have been there but I had to work.

Mikey has a mandrell bender!

The party was excellent! You guys missed the lap dances(we did valve jobs-ok we had a spark plug changing race, but still...) Great food, great company, and the muddiest dirt road you have ever seen-but a great many Zs made it throug and nobody got stuck!

I am going to attempt my own Stainless exhaust when the lime comes. I have a crush bender, but I am going to fill the pipes with sand and weld on some caps to keep the crushing down.

Will

That guys exhaust sounds good. That car really gets moving. That's crazy when that guy pulled out to make a left in front of him. Wasn't that car for sale not too long ago?

Ed, that is the main picture, along with your others, that I have used to understand how everything should/could be tucked. When I bought my car it had an MSA kit that hangs too low and is not routed that well.

Will/John...I found another shop up in Garden City that specializes in custom exhausts and they have a mandrel bender. A friend of mine had some work done and they were very satisfied with the finished product and really low price. The name is M&M? Also, where is the cash and carry at?

Jonathan,

I wonder if its the same place that I had my exhaust done for the truck? It was in garden city on HWY 80 just past the movie theater on the right in a blue building. Small blue building between 3rd and 5th st I believe. If thats the place they don't do exhaust any more. Just auto repairs they were cheap. I had my 91 Chevy truck dueled out with flow master and like 30" tips put on for under 200.00. Its still there with no problems and sounds like a beast...

The cash and carry is located off of Stayley ave. Easy way to get there is go down Derenne ave towards 516 and take a right on Montgomery St. At glass masters (what momma says momma does) Then turn left at the first light which is Staley Ave go down about 1/2 mile and its on the right. cost is 1 dollar to get in. There is also a muffler shop just across the street.