IGNORED

Now taking orders - 240Z to 280ZX alternator adapters!

Arne

Hey, Arne,

Is the unused port "P and E" an auxilary output? Do you know?

I've heard that it was connected somehow to the injection computer on some cars, but can't confirm that. Might be good to have someone who owns an '81-83 ZX look at theirs and see if it is used on the original.

My 240Z had the '83 injection on it when I bought it, and that port was still unused. But there's no guarantee that my car's injection was connected correctly, judging from what I found when I went back to carbs, and from the fact that the "installer's" answer to the lack of diode after the alternator swap was to wire a separate toggle switch. That ham-fisted approach to the alternator swap was the direct inspiration for this adapter plug.

I would have looked, if I had that question when I was at home, I've got an 81 running parts car, I will take a look at that. I took the alt. out of my 82 non running parts car. It was disconnected, and sitting in the cargo area. I think I am feeling saucy, and will send the payment today!

Arne,

I'm in for 5 adaptors. You didn't specify continental US, but I figured you didn't expect orders from Hawaii, will you be at the MSA show in April? I am a regular there and be willing to pick it up from you then. Let me know.

Thanks,

Curtis

Glad to hear it. Please let us all know what you think of it once you get it (and the alternator) installed.

Finally got to this project today. Removed the stock voltage regulator and plugged in the adapter; then installed a rebuilt alternator for an '83ZX.

Both ammeter and voltmeter readings are more stable than the stock set-up. The increased amperage at lower rpm of the new alternator give brighter lights at idle.

A good swap - works great.

Now, does anyone know what the purpose is of the capacitor that is plugged into the wiring harness and mounted on one of the voltage regulator mounting screws. It's been there since the car was new but I don't see this device on the '72 wiring schematic. In any event, I unplugged it and everything seems to be working OK.