IGNORED

Now taking orders - 240Z to 280ZX alternator adapters!

Arne

Garth is right, the alternator upgrade is a totally separate issue. The ZX alternator will help recharge your battery faster, and can produce more amps in normal driving. The internal regulator is more accurate and reliable as well. But it doesn't address the issues that Dave's harnesses do.

Thanks guys, thats what I thought but wanted to make sure. Looks like I will be ordering from Arne and Dave!! Man you electrical guys are awesome, every time I do something with wires involved it burns up. Thanks again!!

Thanks guys, thats what I thought but wanted to make sure. Looks like I will be ordering from Arne and Dave!! Man you electrical guys are awesome, every time I do something with wires involved it burns up. Thanks again!!

Believe it or not, there was a time in my life that all I would do is think about touching a wire and then stumble out of the car-black crap all over my face and the only words that I could choke out were "me touch wire, tangs went POOF" LOL

Thats when I decided to learn a little more before jumping in face first. I guess it paid off, in more ways than one.

Dave.

heres a questions, why would you want to upgrade the alternater?

Most people upgrade their alternators because of a few facts, like...

1) Higher powered headlights (H-4's) require more amperage than standard headlights

2) adding fog lights usually require more amperage from the alternator

3) if you have or are planning on running any kind of stereo equipment or amplifiers. they need more amps than the Oem alternator can supply.

These are only a few examples of why the upgrade may be neccesary. And remember that the stock 240Z was designed for your basic 240Z's electrical system and adding anything other than what they planned for will most likely require a bigger alternator.

I have a 200 watt amp that makes my stock alternator scream when I turn up the strereo. So I myself will be doing the alternator upgrade in the near future.

Hope that helps,

Dave.

Another common mod that eats more amps than stock is electronic ignition.

And the internal voltage regulator in the ZX alternator is more reliable, and delivers a better regulated voltage than the stock points-type regulator. It's just a better system.

But even better is that the alternator swap is totally reversible. Going to show the car and want to look stock for a weekend? You can restore it back to factory in 15 minutes or so.

I want to order 2, one for a spare??? I will get out the money to you Fri or Sat this week. If possible would you accept a personal check? I will be glad to have you wait until it clears (no problem for me) I just hate paying someone for moneyorders and I am not in a big hurry. Just let me know. Thanks again. This will go great with Dave's Headlight harness and parking light harness that I have installed. TOP NOTCH STUFF GUYS don't wait or you may miss out. Easy to install and what a difference!!!

Here is a summary of answers to some of the questions I have received this week:

1.) The two alternators that I know work are the units from '81-83 280ZX, both turbo and NA. The turbo is a 70 amp unit, the NA is 60 amps. Other Nissan alternators may work as well, but I can not confirm that. Use others at your own risk. (But if you find something else that does work, let me know.)

2.) This is totally plug and play, NO cutting or modification to your car's wiring harness is needed.

3.) As best I can determine, the stock length belt should work fine. That's not to say that there can't be a few alternators out there with a slightly different pulley size, but I haven't heard of one yet. Even if so, the stock belt width is fine, all you'd need would be to get the next size smaller or longer belt.

4.) At least one person was having problems downloading the instructions from the forum. An alternate site is Alternator swap instructions.