IGNORED

2300 mile road trip for $250.00 240 worth it?

er34gtt2000jp

Guys,

The Red '73 (that was sanded down & now looks pink) is still sitting there, along with a couple more that didn't sell (see below). They have had 8 Zs listed on Ebay in the last couple weeks and these Zs should all still be there, at least for a while. Remember the old car collector's motto "Don't crush 'em restore 'em!"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Datsun-240Z-Excellent-project-car-red-pink-color_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6783QQitemZ8039571233QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Datsun-260z-Good-Parts-Project-Car-Preppy_W0QQitemZ8036964601QQcategoryZ6783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-1976-Datsun-240Z-Great-project-car-2-2-new_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6783QQitemZ8039574960QQrdZ1

78 280zcar, my problem is I have parts like fenders eye buckets, hood, doors (shaved handles) etc. and I hate packing them up to ship. Small stuff I can deal with, large stuff is just a PIA. Don't worry I would never just trash a perfectly good 240Z hood. Someone locally will buy it sooner or later especially since I sell stuff for cheap.

er34gtt2000jp, there is a perfect windshield at the U-Pull-It here in town. I can try to stop by and see if it's still there. If it is I might be able to pull it for you and you can pay me what the yard charges when you get here. No more then $40.00 if I remember correctly. Let me know.

78 280zcar, my problem is I have parts like fenders eye buckets, hood, doors (shaved handles) etc. and I hate packing them up to ship. Small stuff I can deal with, large stuff is just a PIA. Don't worry I would never just trash a perfectly good 240Z hood. Someone locally will buy it sooner or later especially since I sell stuff for cheap.

Art, how about a classified ads section in Sport Z Magazine? That other, err, ah...........Z magazine had one. Just a thought.

See ya at the Dragon, you're going I hope. It's turning into the "Eastcoast Nationals" from what I've heard.

(Sorry didn't mean to hyjack this thread)

Vicky

Hi Vicky, we're thinking of adding a classifeds section.

Should be at the dragon. Just have to decide which airport to go to and maybe hitch a ride with someone coming from that direction. That would be more fun then renting a car.

The Grand Canyon is worth the trip, good road trip for the family something to remember for all. Hope the car also proves to be worth it. I have made several road trips that a non car nut would never understand. Mike

Thought Eric was going to post by now.

I meet up with Eric and we when out to get the car.

It was quite an adventure once we got to where the cars were at.

It was a graveyard of cars and trucks. The Z that Eirc had bought was a lot worse off then he expected. The front radiator support was completely ripped in half and the front inner fender had been replaced with another part from another Z and welded into place. Not what I or Eric would call a project worth taking on. There was another Z (white) there that someone had ripped from Eric at the last second on Ebay that sold for $350.00 and was in much better shape. I was talking to Eric and said that that would be the best canidate. He talked to the owner about buying it since the Ebay buyer had not come to claim the car and it had been almost a month. This guy also turned around and tried to sell the same car in the classifed section with no bites. He even had the nerve to email Eric and asked if he wanted to buy it from him. Ok, I'm getting off subject.

I could only stick around till 12:30pm and when I last left Eric he was still trying to get the owner of the boneyard to sell him the white Z. He was going to lay it on thick, ie: I came all the way from CA, I don't want to go home empty handed, etc.

Just getting the cars out from where they were sitting was a chore in itself. One dirt road (1 lane) and minimal area to turn around. To me it was the storage area from Hell. It was kind of funny listening to the owner talk about people coming on to his property and stealing parts. You would probably start laughing when you saw where this place was and how far off the beaten path it is. You can't even see the cars from the dirt road that leads you into his land. I held back from making any smartass remarks, but the door was defintely open to make some.

I hope Eric was able to talk him into selling him the white Z because towing a U-haul trailer all the way from CA to NM and back empty would make for a sorry reminder of what a $250.00 Z is really worth.

At least he was taking his family to see the Grand Canyon on the way back to CA. So the trip wasn't a total waste. I hope he made it to Flagstaff ok. He was going to write an update here last night. I'm sure he'll have a lot more to add to this story when he gets home.

Thinking of buying a car from my area? Please ask, and I'll look at it first and let you know if it's worth the trip. This happened to me once before (but for 10 times the money) and I learned my lesson the hard way. Won't make that mistake twice.

Eric, hope you can make it down for the MSA show. Stop by the booth (SZM) and I'll give you a bunch of goodies.

Thats a Shame. I went to Lincoln NE for a 100 doller car. 1200 round trip.

The guy Gave me the car for free and we drove it home! But being up north its totally rotted. Now on its way back to the street again. Maby SZM will do a piece on it?

Eric take my word for it, not getting an ok from another member here before buying is a bad idea.

I know its to late now but i hope you got the other car... :(