IGNORED

VERY INTERESTING THREAD ABOUT PAINTING WITH A ROLLER.-Hybridz

1GENZED

I have a can of this in the shed along with the mineral spirits and sand paper. I might try it on the parts car first (in a small amount) to get an idea of how this really works. I have used rustoleum to paint a couple of things but always used the spray gun to do it. Will keep this thread updated on an out come.

I'm going to subscribe to this thread, as I'd like to see the outcome if someone tries it.

I don't have any one of the cars ready for paint so it would be a while before I could test / report on it. I would, however, be interested in hearing other's experience with it.

This reminds me of the way I used to watch Taxicabs get painted in Mexico City, by their owner/ operators. The key to this type of work / results are your own diligence in exacting work, and lots of it. Another form of craftsmanship.

s it plausible/possible ? Absolutely. Feasible? Depends on how much time and most importantly, energy you have. If you work on the car, one section at a time and keep track of where / what you've done you can definitely achieve great results. But it all depends on how much skill and determination you have.

Wet sanding a car isn't just stroking the paint with a particle impregnated piece of paper, it's careful and methodical scupting of the bodylines. Plane carve a curved fender and you "scalp" the paint, avoiding a bend and you fill it in. All of these tend to "dull" the bodylines of the car. If you are good enough to do a good job of wetsanding, then you CAN achieve beautiful results with this method. Speaking as someone who's wet-sanded a lot of cars, it isn't just a couple-hour job. If you haven't done it in a while....it can get VERY tiring.

But you next need to look at your palette of colors.

The type of paint that would work really well with this technique is a monochromatic enamel. You would need to ensure that the paint used is homogeneous, i.e. all the same, as opposed to comprised of individual components as in the Metallics.

The subtle shading effects possible with a metallic will have a positively different sheen and "texture" (the "lay" of the metallic particles) being rolled on than sprayed. That's just simply the nature of the beast, it's the suspension of metallic particles in a translucent environment. It might prove to have a decidedly different and surprising effect.

The colors available are also going to make it an interesting result.

But, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that technique.

E

My question is even if the paint is 'self leveling' how do you not get the paint to run down when you are painting the sides of the car? Unless you are just very careful to apply the minimum amount of paint, sand, paint, sand, paint and the paint thickness builds up...I may have just answered my own question...damn!

If you read the article on Hybridz, then you would see that someone has already done it and is also trying it on a larger piece as well to see just how well it works.

With only a few coats it looks pretty good and shines really well. Definetly a good deal for some of the people that dont have the money to afford 3000 dollar and up paint jobs.

So that not proven theory is wrong it DOES work!

My brother is an auto body painter. I am learning more everyday from him but there is something that doesn't look right about that paint. Sure it is is glossy but that isn't all that makes a good paint job. Plus the paint doesn't seem to have much depth, i would have to see it in person to be conviced of its validity. Also, you are very limited with this paint. Look at new cars almost every new car isn't plain color, they have metallic or pearl. The best colors have either metalic or pearl or both. Anyways, for $3-4 you will be lucky to get a paint job that is any good. YOu may as well risk the $50. My brother just finished a 67 Mustang, Dark metalic with ghost racing stripes and a $25,000 price tag. How good was the job, $25,000. The guy that helped my brother paints hot rods and has had one featured in a magazine. He gave the job a 9 out of ten. This was before the car was wet sanded and rubbed. No way in hell I would do this but if my brother wasn't a painter, i would spend $50 before $3000

• 2 weeks later...

I am a hybridz member and have been keeping up on the several threads about this stuff and have tried it a little bit on my flat black Z...You have to get it pretty thin to roll on correctly. It is suprisingly durable on the section I took down to bare metal but the part that was painted over the layers of blue and black paint from the years is not as durable. I haven't gotten it to the proper consistancy because I just haven't had time to work on my z at all. I think for a Z that doesn't need a $2k or more paint job this is the perfect solution. I am experimenting with black right now and I will post some pictures of my overly-thick and pressed too hard painted sections...not too bad for a first time and vague consistancy refrences..."until it just feels right"...I think the hybridz guys have done a better job at testing this paint theory than those pushrod guys...

I am a hybridz member and have been keeping up on the several threads about this stuff and have tried it a little bit on my flat black Z...You have to get it pretty thin to roll on correctly. It is suprisingly durable on the section I took down to bare metal but the part that was painted over the layers of blue and black paint from the years is not as durable. I haven't gotten it to the proper consistancy because I just haven't had time to work on my z at all. I think for a Z that doesn't need a $2k or more paint job this is the perfect solution. I am experimenting with black right now and I will post some pictures of my overly-thick and pressed too hard painted sections...not too bad for a first time and vague consistancy refrences..."until it just feels right"...I think the hybridz guys have done a better job at testing this paint theory than those pushrod guys...

Any photos to update us with? I picked up some of the paint today and will start experimenting with it either tomorrow or next weekend.

Definetlly interesting... but there is no way that after the years I spent just looking for the perfect Z for me, that I would even remotely think about painting her with anything other than an appropriate automotive finish. Just my opinion. Although, I do applaud and admire anyone who takes this approach and has a good turn out. Also, I took a look at the rustoleom site and found a high performance paint in the Industrial side of the site that said it was an acrylic enamel, which is what the fellow said the Tremclad was.

Here it is http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=91&SBL=2

Nate