IGNORED

My misfortune...

kyteler

Hi Michael,

Ouch, I had someone do the same thing to me 10 years ago when they decided to run a red light as they were late for work;-( How is the door's operation? has it bent the (what should be) the B pillar? This would show by the door being hard to close or wind now coming through the window.

Anyway, it looks like you will need those Flares sooner rather than later as your repairer will be able to attach them for you whilst he does the panel beating.

First quote came in at $2300NZD

I don't know what the economy is like in NZ, but here in Japan, if it was deemed repairable, it would cost over 700,000 JPY ($7,000 USD). I had a small bump and paint scrape and the estimate came in at 70,000 JPY. Thanks to their crazy at-fault laws, I had to settle for 50%, even though HE hit me. Luckily, I got a friendly body shop to fix it for 22,000 JPY.

Not to trivialize your loss, but lucky you live there rather than here and can get it fixed for what I consider a reasonable amount. No wonder the Japanese buy new cars rather than fix the damage . . . it's cheaper!

Yeah, it in a manner does seem like a bonus. However the C110 has almost no value over here and is barely recognised so that price to most companies will mean an immediate write off.

If you could let me know what the average condition KHGC110 sells for in Japan, it might actually help my case immensely, anything I can use to my advantage I will. I refuse to let some insurance scum decide my car isn't worth anything.

That's the price if it was to be a new rear quarter put on, chances are higher price if it was to be pulled, beaten and skimmed back to shape.

They all would prefer the whole panel (78110-R4600 - Panel-Rear Fender RH) but if it wasn't possible two would have the skills to pull it out and one would make the entire bottom section from scratch. These two haven't given me quotes yet.

Michael,

I do not know how the law works in NZ, but by the sounds of things, this guy hit you, admitted liability, and then you sent a "letter of demand" to his insurance company stating that you hold him responsible for the damage to your car and that you want it fixed.

In any case, you have the right to get quotations and sue the person responsable to correct their wrong doing, regardless of cost. Normally, the only time repair cost verses vehicle cost is when your insurance company is paying for the damage because you could not prove the other party to be at fault.

There is nothing to say that if you can prove that you have spent countless hours,days,weeks or months refurbishing your vehicle and have further recepts totalling far greater than an estimated "book value", then you can sue the person responsible for further damages and remuneration.

Stand Your Ground Michael.

Michael,

Here's two links to current C110s for sale in Japan. There are others, but they are either 4-door or have been made up to look like GT-Rs, which I don't think will help your case much. The base unit is in 10,000 JPY, so to get the selling price, make sure you have four digits behind the decimal and then convert the currency from there (eg: 114.5 = 1145000 JPY = 10,000 USD). Hope this helps.

http://www.carsensor.net/cgi-bin/CS/CSFBU050.cgi?STID=CS210610&TRCD=TR012&BKKN=K192C40400&SHOP=201720001K

http://www.carsensor.net/cgi-bin/CS/CSFBU050.cgi?STID=CS210610&TRCD=TR012&BKKN=G108001958&SHOP=218814001G

Bruce; Cheers, that's how I understand it, my problem being Insurance companies are reknowned for being weasels so I'm apprehensive, I will be standing my ground however, don't you worry about that ;) Also want to prepare for worst case scenario though.

Miles; Excellent. Thanks for that, it's much appreciated, Here's hoping I don't have to use them to prove anything but I almost guarantee I will. Thanks again!