IGNORED

1977 280z Zzap

ZTEJAS

Unfortunately that is all of what those erm "specialty" cars were.

Nothing more then sticker pakages or paint codes, a shame really, I believe there is still a place that you can buy the sticker combo for the Zap, there was even a game made for that car.

Its just like the 280ZXR, only thing that was really good about the car was the wing that was homologated into production to be used in racing.

A number of years ago there was an article in Z car magazine concerning a Zap Z that is located in So. Cal. If you could find a set of NOS decals they would not be in very good condition by now. The owner mentioned that it was easier to have the painter replicate the original decals and while it may not be factory it certainly looked better than the old decals.

If we were talking about a muscle car there would most likely be someone making reproductions. Oh well.

If I was dead serious in restoring a Zzzap or Black Pearl this is how I would go about it concerning the graphics. First I would go look at one of the cars I was interested in, take pictures of the stripes, measurements, exact location placement and such. Then I would get in touch with a reputable sign or graphic company and have them duplicate the pinstripes to exact detail. Have your bodyman put the "decals" on the car then clear coat over them.

Zrush has "Datsun" written in Japanese characters under the hood along the hump. We went to a local graphic/sign company here in Florida and had him make 2 templates. One is under the hood and then cleared over and the other is on the car hauler. Clearing over is the only way to be sure the stripes will remain and not dry up and peel. The one under the hood takes the heat of the engine and is still perfect due to the clear process.

I'll try and take a picture so you can see what I mean.

Just and idea..........that works:)

Vicky

Not to change or hijack this thread but daddz didnt you once own the very nice 70's era skyline?

Sorry,

I think you might be referring to 240ztt; at his website:

http://www.240ztt.com/nissan.html

you will find a link to his 1971 GC-10 Skyline 4 door with an L28 and 'triples'. In fact we spoke of this thread last evening and he mentioned that he will never sell a car as rare as that again. He regrets selling it now. The car is still in existence and lives in Texas. The person who owns it has a site on cardomain.com and posts regularly over at zcar.com.

Although I like the GC10 Skylines very much I would have to go for a 240ZG such as the one that 'HS30-H', a.k.a. Alan Thomas, owns. When I complete the first degree (Dec.'06) and figure out what I want to do and where I will begin to look for one. If the values suddenly spike like the XK-E's did in the late eighties then a rhd ZG replica will make a nice consolation prize.

Getting back on topic:

Vicky,

Your suggestion is spot on; that is exactly how I would attempt to solve the problem. The only down side to the BPE and Zap cars are the rear window shades installed at the port or dealer once 'in country'. The Nissan window shades as you may know are installed by drilling holes in the hatch (just what an S30 needs?!), otherwise they are unique and interesting cars IMO.

That seems to have been the formula to generate excitement in the late '70's and Nissan/datsun was not alone. Who remembers the Mustang Cobra II, Mazda RX-3SP, Plymouth Arrow GT, and some other forgetful models.

That seems to have been the formula to generate excitement in the late '70's and Nissan/datsun was not alone. Who remembers the Mustang Cobra II, Mazda RX-3SP, Plymouth Arrow GT, and some other forgetful models.

Back in the day a buddy of mine had a Mustang II in Ghia trim with a 302. It was an ugly arse car but it actually ran circles around a lot of vehicles back then. Scary.

FWIW,

Chris A.

Everybody remember these "Mustangs"! ROFL

post-5906-14150796555807_thumb.jpg