IGNORED

Which cars had the radiator support painted black?

Ed

I can say that it has been SOP through the 60's, based on the roadster's and trucks I've worked on. The only cars i've seen body color are so called "Restorations". Roadsters came in black (505 thunder black) Even that car (the one I change a grill on, 68 SPL) had the area painted flat black. I think the instructions to the fellow at that station of the assem line was, "Paint the area black" with no special instructions on exceptions.

So far we have identified these as being painted:

918 Orange

919 Yellow

112 Yellow

907 Dark Green

905 Red

904 White

114 Brown

What about:

110 Red

920 Gold

113 Green

903 Blue

115 Blue

901 Silver

Sorry Rick, I couldn't find your color "312".

Oh my! I didn't see this thread until now. All S30 chassis front radiator supports were brush painted flat / satin black. Now, I'm going out on a limb by saying that because I have come to learn that as soon as you establish something consistant about the S30, you find the exception. So except for the exceptions, the front of the radiator support is brush painted black. The picture you posted, Ed, is the car I associate with Harry Figg? - an exquisit over restoration.

Here is a picture of the area from an early 1970 build with 23,000 original miles from the national convention.

post-4148-14150796493396_thumb.jpg

Oh my! I didn't see this thread until now. All S30 chassis front radiator supports were brush painted flat / satin black. Now, I'm going out on a limb by saying that because I have come to learn that as soon as you establish something consistant about the S30, you find the exception. So except for the exceptions, the front of the radiator support is brush painted black. The picture you posted, Ed, is the car I associate with Harry Figg? - an exquisit over restoration.

Here is a picture of the area from an early 1970 build with 23,000 original miles from the national convention.

Chris, does #26 have the paint? #215 does NOT, but I know that the car was repainted the original 901 silver. I know that some of the engine bay was (badly) painted, but the front of the radiator support looks original compared to the areas that I know were repainted. Pic attached...

post-4028-1415079652141_thumb.jpg

Mark, I'd guess that the front of the radiator support on #215 was also repainted. Just a guess, as the hood springs are painted silver, too. They should be black. Not conclusive, but a good indication. :geek:

I don't mean to be nit picky :paranoid: , but like you say, not a good paint job in the engine bay. I mean, jeez, the paint code label was painted over! :tapemouth

Mark, I'd guess that the front of the radiator support on #215 was also repainted. Just a guess, as the hood springs are painted silver, too. They should be black. Not conclusive, but a good indication. :geek:

I thought the hood hinges were unpainted, just had the cadmium plating, that's the way mine are. BTW, my radiator support is painted black. Original body color 905 red.