Sign in to follow this  
zorro

How fast does your Zed go???????????

I just bought a 73 240Z with the L24 and original 5 speed. I would be interested to hear who has modified there 240 how fast it can go and what speeds it is safe at. Thanks guys......;)

I just bought a 73 240Z with the L24 and original 5 speed. I would be interested to hear who has modified there 240 how fast it can go and what speeds it is safe at. Thanks guys......;)

I took my old '71 240z up to 130 at one time. I'll never do that again, but, it was all over the road and totally unstable. The transmission really makes the engine whine up to 5-6,000rpm at that speed.

100 or 110 is probably the safest max speed for that kind of car.

i had my 72 somewhat modified and well enogh to hold its own up to just above 120. the car still felt ok but i could feel the begining of the wash out on the front end.

it was starting to get really light and control was starting to leave my hands.

I've modified my 73 just a little. And I've replaced most of the old rubber underneath. I've had mine up to 135 for about 30 seconds (more than once). Felt real smooth. A little scary though.:tapemouth

121mph @ 11.1

this is shifting into 4th as i cross the line.... its a 5 speed i amagine pretty damn fast more then i want to do on the open road ;>

if your gonna want your car to stay relatively planted on the road...your gonna want to get a front skirt on it. And btw, that is not the original 5-speed in your car. The 240z only came with a 4-speed (the 5-speed wasnt out till the 280z i believe) unless its a fairlady.

My old Z had a front skirt and the eibach springs I think i pulled off 115 once for under a minute and if felt very solid....just scary as hell!!! :eek:

My 72 ITS car would do 115mph at 7000 with a stock 4 speed and a 4.11 rear end down the straight at Gateway into turn 1.

gir.jpg

This is a fun corner because as you come off the oval onto the road course there is a transition from a 4 degree bank. You have to stay on the gas until after the bump and then get on the brakes hard to slow down for turn 2. If you let off over the bump, the rear gets light and unsettled and can easily come around... many cars have ended up in the wall.

Anyway, in theory, with a 3.36 rear you should be able to hit 142.5mph (doubtful) but I think it would take a much longer straightaway, good front ground effects and some titanium cajones.

if your talking about my 5 speed check out my page... not much is original drivetrainLOL

Howdy,

Every car and ever situation is different. Due to condition of suspension parts, driveline, tires, road conditions, and even the weather. I have driven Z cars that are scary over 70MPH and I have pushed mine to almost 6K RPM in 5th. I wouldn't trust your speedo to be very accurate past 100MPH. If you really want to know how fast you are going you can calculate your speed using your gear ratios, tire diameter and RPM. Bottom line is if you plan on going fast make sure you are paying attention and your car is safe!

It is possible there was a 5-speed available for Euro and AU markets but don't know for sure. It is an easy swap so after 30 years there is a good chance it is not original. I agree with the statement that you will want an airdam or something to keep the front end down. I noticed the difference in the front steering at speeds close to the legal limit.

Have fun!

Regarding the AU market 5-speed, do you know if it has a yoke bolted to the output shaft instead of like the US market cars with male splines to go with a female driveshaft? Someone her says the have a early 5-speed that matches this description! Anyone heard of it?

Sorry to get off topic, here is another on topic. How fast a Z can go is only a mater of time and money! It also helps to have someone behind the wheel that knows what they are doing! :)

Royce,

According to the literature I have, on cars fitted with either a four speed manual gearbox or automatic transmission, there is a sliding sleeve at the front end of the prop shaft which engages with the splines of the transmission unit output shaft. On cars fitted with a five speed manual gearbox the sliding sleeve is still present but it is an integral part of the prop shaft which connects to the box via a universal joint.

I'll crawl under my '71 later and check it out for you.

Sorry for veering off topic.

Thanks guys for all your replys they've been very helpful....

In Australia statistics quote a standard 240Z with a 5spd had a top speed of 135mph and 0-100kph in 9sec..

Personally I have been a 240Z with a 5spd and an L28 replacing the L24 that did a 150mph by the speedo(?)...

Coming to think of it however what Royce said makes sense the speedo is only an estimate the true speed can be calculated as suggested.

Anyhow it was bloody fast around 6500rpm in 5th... GO ZED...ROFL

I've had my 240z up to about 135-140ish and ran out of road not sure how accurate the speedo is but the car felt very stable. would like to know how fast it really could go.

I had my stock '78 into the 120's numerous times for extended periods of time whilst commuting the lonely 505 in Norcal. Usually cruising with something else that wanted to go fast. Not racing, just cruising fast. Totally rock-solid, totally stock. My current 280 has never seen much over 95--not because it did not want to, but because I have a wonderful wife and a beautiful house and two gorgeous girls and I just don't flaunt the law like that anymore. In a controlled enviroment, I feel my current Z with its great tires and complete suspension overhaul would do 120+ pretty safely. With it's 5-speed, I'm turning a nice, comfortable 4200 at this speed. I would love to see 5500 in this car.

Side-note...I have a CHP friend who speaks of various Mustangs and Camaros and Corvettes who have tried the sustained high-speed thing...His motto: Just stay on 'em, and bad things will start happening to the motors.

steve77

Well i have had my 260z up to 210Kph i dont know what that is in Mph. But that was with the old stock motor and with this new motor so far it's good for 170Kph in 4th gear sitting at 5500rpm.

My 240 has had almost everything modified ie suspesion, brakes, gearbox carbs extractors wheels tyres etc. The only thing standard is the 260 engine. With the suspension mods the car sits well at 120 mph +. Be interesting to see what it will do with the new engine (when money allows) An interesting point is how fast it goes around corners?

I once had my 72' 240 up to 140mph (so the speedo said) going down a big hill on the Barton Highway. Before I ran out of road, the doors were rattling, and the whole thing felt like it was lifting off the road! Permanatly brown undies and loss of licence kept me under the speed limit since then! (this was a while ago, in my youth)

Hi all,

if you are commenting on Stony's 5 speed being not original, then you should take a look why that is not the case:

http://www.geocities.com/stonehac/

His car is far from original as he has transplanted the RB26DETT engine from a Nissan Skyline GTR (4WD), which is mated to a 5 speed 'box from a Skyline GTS-T (RWD).

Therefore his 5 speed is not "original", ie never released in the US for that model, or not even one from the Australian market zeds.

Just though that I made that clear

Cuong Nguyen.

When I first bought the car it was unstable at 80mph. The considerable front end lift made the car scary. After installing considerable polyurethane, solid mounts and a complete aero kit the car smooths out at 80 for a very comfortable ride. I haven't pushed passed 115 but it rolls 95 at 4300 rpm. The vibration and lift was not considerable above the century mark, however, over prolonged use close to that speed on two lane, I did experience significant brake fade, even to the point of near complete failure after 30 or 40 minutes. The drums were ringing like a bell, which influenced the onset of caution at speed with this auto.

'73 240z

Keith

Yes. it is all very well to go that fast but it helps to stop. Four wheel ventalated disks help. The one problem I found with a prolonged high speed run was that the flywheel became loose causing a frightening noise. Thought I had tossed a rod. It didnt actually cut loose but it was a near thing.

I have a modification sheet for installing discs from a late, I believe '82, nissan maxima. The mod is very compatable and bolts directly to the suspension. I was also reading a thread the other day that had a diagram for venting the rear drums. I would do the mod if I was going to keep the car. Both are great ideas...

Keith:beard:

P.S. I will dig out the maxima mod sheet and post the url

I had a 82 280ZX that had a r200 POSI rearend with 4.11 gears and I could run 130 no sweat. Rock solid. Front air dam is a must though if you want to stay on the ground. In Fifth gear I had it almost to 5300. I would have liked to have seen how fast that car could really go. My friend rode with me once (he owns a 93 corvette) and he almost pizzed his pants! Who would have thought that these little cars from Datsun/Nissan would be so scary fast! :devious:

Very true no point going fast if you can't stop. My 240 has 300ZX brake discs front and rear with spaced calipers to fit enlarged brake pads. It rides on fully adjustable Koni suspension and when MSA send me a catalogue I'll buy some spoilers for it so it glues to the road. I tried it the other day it only did 120 mph which was disappointing because my 260Z 2+2 does the same speed. Huh wait till the engine transplant for the 240 is completed. Long live the ZED......ROFL

My last 240Z was a '73 model with a stock drive-train (4 speed),

and I have no idea what the rear-end ratio was.

No Air-dam.

Stock Suspension.

Stock Brakes.

3X 40 Mikuni's, Header, and mild street cam (.480" / 274 I think).

240 block and a slightly shaved (.020) E88 head.

It was very comfortable at around 110mph. I once ate a hamburger driving

between Oakland and Medesto Ca. while going 110+MPH (Not smart, I know,

but I was young). The car displayed no adverse characteristics at that speed.

I once had it between 140 and 145 MPH before I chickened out. (I was also

carrying a 150+lbs passenger. (He wanted to know how fast it would go :) )