IGNORED

How fast does your Zed go???????????

zorro

Thanks guys for all your replys they've been very helpful....

In Australia statistics quote a standard 240Z with a 5spd had a top speed of 135mph and 0-100kph in 9sec..

Personally I have been a 240Z with a 5spd and an L28 replacing the L24 that did a 150mph by the speedo(?)...

Coming to think of it however what Royce said makes sense the speedo is only an estimate the true speed can be calculated as suggested.

Anyhow it was bloody fast around 6500rpm in 5th... GO ZED...ROFL

I had my stock '78 into the 120's numerous times for extended periods of time whilst commuting the lonely 505 in Norcal. Usually cruising with something else that wanted to go fast. Not racing, just cruising fast. Totally rock-solid, totally stock. My current 280 has never seen much over 95--not because it did not want to, but because I have a wonderful wife and a beautiful house and two gorgeous girls and I just don't flaunt the law like that anymore. In a controlled enviroment, I feel my current Z with its great tires and complete suspension overhaul would do 120+ pretty safely. With it's 5-speed, I'm turning a nice, comfortable 4200 at this speed. I would love to see 5500 in this car.

Side-note...I have a CHP friend who speaks of various Mustangs and Camaros and Corvettes who have tried the sustained high-speed thing...His motto: Just stay on 'em, and bad things will start happening to the motors.

steve77

Well i have had my 260z up to 210Kph i dont know what that is in Mph. But that was with the old stock motor and with this new motor so far it's good for 170Kph in 4th gear sitting at 5500rpm.

My 240 has had almost everything modified ie suspesion, brakes, gearbox carbs extractors wheels tyres etc. The only thing standard is the 260 engine. With the suspension mods the car sits well at 120 mph +. Be interesting to see what it will do with the new engine (when money allows) An interesting point is how fast it goes around corners?

I once had my 72' 240 up to 140mph (so the speedo said) going down a big hill on the Barton Highway. Before I ran out of road, the doors were rattling, and the whole thing felt like it was lifting off the road! Permanatly brown undies and loss of licence kept me under the speed limit since then! (this was a while ago, in my youth)

Hi all,

if you are commenting on Stony's 5 speed being not original, then you should take a look why that is not the case:

http://www.geocities.com/stonehac/

His car is far from original as he has transplanted the RB26DETT engine from a Nissan Skyline GTR (4WD), which is mated to a 5 speed 'box from a Skyline GTS-T (RWD).

Therefore his 5 speed is not "original", ie never released in the US for that model, or not even one from the Australian market zeds.

Just though that I made that clear

Cuong Nguyen.

When I first bought the car it was unstable at 80mph. The considerable front end lift made the car scary. After installing considerable polyurethane, solid mounts and a complete aero kit the car smooths out at 80 for a very comfortable ride. I haven't pushed passed 115 but it rolls 95 at 4300 rpm. The vibration and lift was not considerable above the century mark, however, over prolonged use close to that speed on two lane, I did experience significant brake fade, even to the point of near complete failure after 30 or 40 minutes. The drums were ringing like a bell, which influenced the onset of caution at speed with this auto.

'73 240z

Keith

Yes. it is all very well to go that fast but it helps to stop. Four wheel ventalated disks help. The one problem I found with a prolonged high speed run was that the flywheel became loose causing a frightening noise. Thought I had tossed a rod. It didnt actually cut loose but it was a near thing.

I have a modification sheet for installing discs from a late, I believe '82, nissan maxima. The mod is very compatable and bolts directly to the suspension. I was also reading a thread the other day that had a diagram for venting the rear drums. I would do the mod if I was going to keep the car. Both are great ideas...

Keith:beard:

P.S. I will dig out the maxima mod sheet and post the url

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 82 280ZX that had a r200 POSI rearend with 4.11 gears and I could run 130 no sweat. Rock solid. Front air dam is a must though if you want to stay on the ground. In Fifth gear I had it almost to 5300. I would have liked to have seen how fast that car could really go. My friend rode with me once (he owns a 93 corvette) and he almost pizzed his pants! Who would have thought that these little cars from Datsun/Nissan would be so scary fast! :devious:

• 2 weeks later...

Very true no point going fast if you can't stop. My 240 has 300ZX brake discs front and rear with spaced calipers to fit enlarged brake pads. It rides on fully adjustable Koni suspension and when MSA send me a catalogue I'll buy some spoilers for it so it glues to the road. I tried it the other day it only did 120 mph which was disappointing because my 260Z 2+2 does the same speed. Huh wait till the engine transplant for the 240 is completed. Long live the ZED......ROFL