IGNORED

Z - 35 Years of Nissan's Sports Car

bpilati

Yes, of course I have the book. Maybe I took it all wrong, but to compare it to American car handling is outrageous. I'm not a racer, but I know how American cars of that era handled, they are not Z's.

Now I wish I had never started this thread!!! Maybe everyone could just leave it, or maybe I can get Mike to lock it. I dared to question the Morton, so I'm raked over the coals. Sorrrrrryy! :tapemouth

If you want to race $6K Porsche 911's you don't go buy a $3500 240Z.

Nuff said.

I'm about 2/3's complete with the book. I suggest back to the original post of this thread that the author read the book before making the initial remark, however I understand the remark. Ironic it seems that John Morton would make the comment in the forward and then go on to say later in the book that his car was initially prepared and raced successfully in a very stock configuration.

The author of the book, Pete Evanow, was with Nissan North America in an executive management position for a number of years. His writing style is somewhat informal which accents his intentions outlined in his 'forward', stating that he wanted to contribute his "insider's" comments to the history of the Z car within the context of Nissan Motor Corporation. His "corporatespeak" is most reminiscent of the type of conversation one might have over a few beers at a Z gathering; informal and conversational.

Pete managed the Z-Store program which is why I was particularly interested in what he had to say. As many of you recall, I embarked on a research program about the Vintage Zs several months ago after sharp discussions on this site about the "factory" restored Zs. This book was published last August just as I was about to seek help with publishing my work. I put everything on hold until I read his book.

There are quite a number of young new American members on this site and to them I would suggest reading the book. There is quite a bit of American racing heritage discussed; many great pictures and memorabilia about the history of the Z car in the United States. And, an insider's view of the events surrounding the history of Nissan North America. It is an American book about the American chapters of Z car history. I suggest one not lose sight of the fact that the Z car is Japanese and that although the American history is a large portion of the success story, it is not the complete, world-wide story.

Chris