IGNORED

Z - 35 Years of Nissan's Sports Car

bpilati

So, because of the perceived audience for the book John should have written something thqat he didn't believe was true? Bull$hit! You are taking this way too seriously. It's not like he called YOU a name.

Sure you wouldn't have phrased it like he did, you wouldn't (maybe even COULDN'T)have driven like it he did either. He's EARNED the right to say whatever he wants to say about it. Afterall it's from HIS perspective, not yours, mine, theirs, or anybody else's.

Thats ole Garth for you. I couldnt have said it better myself i loved that book.

I didnt much care for the way MR. Morton said it but hes payed to race not write books.

Im proud to own a "sloppy americanized' car like the 240z. I mean hell what else is their a 911 LOL give me a break

why all of the sudden is there so much tension between people on this site? im gettin tired of it already. :sleepy:

You'll get that anywhere. Anytime you get a bunch of guys who think they know everything. :D

I do believe people around here need to take things a little less seriously.

I was on hand for the interview section with John Morton and Trevor Harris when they were interviewed regarding the early days of the the BRE 240Z for the show TV show Full Throttle, and I think that some of you are missing the picture.

At first John was not impressed with the car and that was just from a RACING perspective. I think they felt that it would be difficult to get it to perform against porsches which at the time, in stock trim, were more developed for racing...Needless to say, John is very proud of the fact that they went from underdogs to the overdog in a short period of time.

Remember John had been racing Datsun Roadsters up to this point and the Z was a completely new animal. Fortunately, the BRE team figured out how to make the car handle. Changing pickup points for the front suspension and modifing numerous parts of the car started a legacy of Datsun Nissan racing that is second to none.

John is an incredible tallent and the fans of Datsuns and Nissans should be greatful that we had such a tallented driver runing these cars otherwise they could have fallen by the wayside like the Yugo.

I'm not offended in any way by what Morton wrote. Nissan designed and built the car to ride better than you might think a sports car would. Didn't the first one end up a racer with BRE or Bob Sharp because a model sat on the hood or the roof and bent it? That would be more damning in my book than building a car that had a soft ride, especially when the competition was like riding in an oxcart.

Zeds cleaned up all the major placings in the East African Safari. :classic:

Zeds blitzed the field in the Monte Carlo Rally. :classic:

Zeds proved themselves in Australia's Southern Cross Rally. :classic:

HMMM,

Is it at all possible that the cars were specially set up for racing ?. :surprised

I wonder if the DRIVERS had anything to do with the Zeds success. :finger:

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

My copy arrived yesterday. Couple of points for now and I plan to write this weekend about a number of things. I have been waiting to see this book, as some of you know, and I want a little more time to digest the contents. I feel very, very naive at the moment.

The book is available at MSA, Amazon.com, and a number of different motorsport book dealers. I bought mine on the cheap from Amazon - $32 delivered.

The quote that started this thread is somewhat taken out of context. I concur with Mike's post; perhaps this is actually the way the original car really was.

The Porsches you guys are referring to was the 914, not the 911. The 914 raced in the same class as the original 240Z, not the 911.

Chris