IGNORED

Z - 35 Years of Nissan's Sports Car

bpilati

Writing that sure makes him look like a better driver though, doesn't it. Maybe the book is trying to approach the Z from the whole "underdog" perspective? Or maybe just the "Moreton really was behind the success of the 240Z, God bless America, hoorah, oh and dont forget Goertz! Anybody but the Japanese!" perspective.

Dunno, just guessing :D

You could be right about at least part of that line of thought. In the US, the 240z WAS an "underdog" in many of the classes it was raced in. The "Porch" 911 boys were particularly pissed that a car that sold for under $4K regularly waxed their........errr, well, I'll let that one go without saying.

Thanks for the support there Lance. It's really great to have the Forward of a book dedicated to the Z say it was basically a piece of $^!#, and handled like an American car.

I'm so inspired.

I don't know what "support" you were looking for but what he said is true of a stock 70 Z compared to other "sports" cars of the time. Most of them had 10-20 years of racing experience behind them that was poured into the production cars making them better every year. The Z was new, and that experience flowed into later models.

You need to relax, it's just a book and one man's opinion, it's not going to change the shape of the world except your's if you let it...

yeah, got one stuck in my bryan! ROFL

Every post I've seen from you, you're coming in trying to bust someone's arse. What for? He could have stated the truth in a more accurate way, like a professional. Did you ever see him in the Datsun commercial? For a guys that wants the kind of work he does, you wouldn't think he would immortalize himself in a book that way.

I don't know what "support" you were looking for but what he said is true of a stock 70 Z compared to other "sports" cars of the time. Most of them had 10-20 years of racing experience behind them that was poured into the production cars making them better every year. The Z was new, and that experience flowed into later models.

You need to relax, it's just a book and one man's opinion, it's not going to change the shape of the world except your's if you let it...

Yeah, and they were priced that way too.

I have met John, he's unpretentious and tells it like it is. Some of us appreciate that. The paragraph you quoted earlier does not surprise me. I've heard similar statements from other people involved in the early development of the Z race car. I'm old enough to remember driving cars from that era. We are worlds away from what was available at that time. Your taking John's words out of context, read the whole book then comment.

IT's a well documented fact that the Zed's suspension for the US market was similar to a US Boulavard cruiser. Now why doesn't the quoted paragraph get up my nostral.

Simply because it was people like Morton who saw the potential [or was it Datsun who saw the potential of having Morton evaulate the car] as a potential race car. Morton & Brock [if memory serves me correct] re-built these cars into race cars. It was the knowledge gained by this [& other racers]that enabled the zed to become the great car it is.

Unfortunatly, this is only one paragraph, I don't have access to the book to see if there is any clarification or if it was just a poor choice of words given in a bad context.

Don't loose any sleep over it, after all he hasn't credited Goertz with the design [i hope].

MOM