IGNORED

Cowl area Drain Tubes

TomoHawk

I was waiting for somebody to say that. Why not just ask what I mean by 'imports?'

It means that since there aren't ANY in northern Ohio, you have to import, or bring them into, the area. Mine is from FL. Will or Vicky might know the place- on Fletcher Ave. just off I-275 N. USF is down the street.

I saw what Escalon did when he restored his Z. I figured if the car lasted 34 years with the stock drain, why do anything else with it. I sealed the inner fender with epoxy primer, painted it and then undercoated it. It will never be left out in the rain and seldom will be washed. (drycleaned) So, the only time water will be "draining" is if I get caught out in an Oregon thunderstorm and when I wash it a couple of times a year. I worked too hard on this car to drive it or let it sit out in the rain. I will drive my Durango or Rabbit in the wintertime. I never thought I would build a "trailer queen" but this is what I have decided. I know this is anal but I'm pleased that the car is finished and it is put away for the winter. I drove it 75 miles after working on it for 14 months. Ain't life a bitch?

I only drive about 1000 miles a year, and I prefer nice dry days, so mine only sees a few rainstorms in the summer. since it would be in the way in front of the house during the winter, I store it in the hangar. I don't even use the cover any more; it seems to trap the moisture in which causes rusting. Cover only used during hurricanes, and goes on prior to the rain.

Saint , The reason to do the mod is for the zdrivers that actually drive there car. If dust or dirt , heaven forbid , is washed into the cowl and drains down into the area below the drain . In all likely hood it will stay there and hold moisture for quite a while . This is the reason you see the lower part of the front fender rusted out + it is also the starting point of the rocker and if there is any rust through the water flows along under the door sill , rocker, and ends up in the dogleg . It is such a simple thing to take care of , and it will help prevent this for in the future. For a G Queen or a Show car this is not an issue.

Exactly the reason I want to fix up what's going on in there. I want to see if I can get those two bolts at the bottom of the fender out over the winter, and see what it looks like in there. Since mine is a FL car, I don't expect much, but dirt, but couldn't hurt to look and loosen up those two bolts. Then put them back in with some aniti-sieze.

Before they put the fenders back on, take a look at these photos:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2601&cat=500&page=5&sortby=v&sorttime=all&way=asc

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2602&cat=500&page=4&sortby=v&sorttime=all&way=asc

That PVC tube ends just behind the rubber flap, and is cut in a diagonal with the face facing down and back so that the air flow under the car sucks the water out (like a venturi in a carb).

Hope it helps.

Enrique

Augggh...I'm convinced, I gotta do this fix or something similar...I was at the body shop this past weekend looking at my 240's body...I noticed a dried waterline inside the cowl area and checked that at least the rhs drain hole is clogged, there's evidence of a standing pool of water in there for sometime... :( Rust is showing in spots...

Enrique...from your pics I see that you extended the hose from the stock location...did it originally just drain into the area behind the small rubber mudflap? I can't locate that part # in the parts CD (63835-E4100 maybe?)...what did you use to replace the original sealing strips? (63815-E4100 "sealing mud guard")...I'll also search on "fender replacement" threads for more info...as always thanks for your input...

:beard: