IGNORED

1st gen seats

NovaSS

How many different seat types came in the early Zs? Mine is a 1970 ( Nov 1969 production ) RHD Fairlady.

My problem is the right seat was replaced at one time because it was torn :mad:

The replacment seat has a different design around the head rest. Does anyone know what year seats would be correct?

• 2 months later...

Mike,

The seats are all pretty much the same through the years. When you say the headrest design is different, do you mean the upholstery? Headrests are definitely oriented right and left, but the basic shape of them is constant. What does change is the hardware. The seats for my early cars do not flip forward or recline. They only adjust slightly via a round, hand turn knob on the inboard side. Now...you have a Fairlady and the seat hardware could be different from what was exported to America. I would doubt it, though. Have a look at Kats' site for some excellent pictures of seat restoration.

http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/

Mike, is the headrest on your original seat a lot thicker than the newer seat? I thought that the really early JDM cars had a thicker headrest than the 71-78 ones. Could you post some pics? Take care and good luck with the car. It's a keeper. :)

Also, didn't the early seats have two little vents incorporated into the seat material, in the lumbar area?

NovaSS, FYI I have a set of series one seats available for sale, including the slider assemblies. However, they have been recovered and have no little vents...the drivers seat has a little wear on the piping and the support webbing needs to be replaced.

Tom;

Yes the original covers had metal vents in them. Took mine out in 77 when I recovered them also. They caught on your clothes and came loose. Replaced the center section with a breathable fabric instead of the vents. Like it much better. But, it is not stock if you are going that way.

FWIW

As I recall there's a difference somewhere along the line regarding the under-seat straps. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't remember the details.

Mike, I think the earlier seats came with a rubber type webbing that the foam seat core would rest on. Later with the 1972's (73's?) the rubber type webbing was replaced with springs so that the seat belt warning sensor would function properly.

Another difference that Chris W. is probably aware of is that the very early seats came with a plastic shield that partially covered the front, lower, outward corner of both seats. Not too many of these exist any more. Katz has some pretty good pictures of these plastic shields.

Steve M.

Yes! I am aware of the plastic seat cusion guards. Kats has the only car I have seen with them installed. I am a little seat impaired at the moment. I need whole seats as well as seat parts, but seats are way down on my list of appropriations as I focus on the body shell and suspension. I need to get a rolling chassis before I can think about sitting in it!

Here is where I am headed, though. Original seats had metal vent grommets (4) in the seat back lumbar area. You can almost see one of them in the picture. They get very hot in the florida sun - believe me. My ex-wife has one of those cute lumbar tatoos from them. ROFL

post-4148-14150796582892_thumb.jpg