IGNORED

1st gen seats

NovaSS

Carl,

If your seats do not have vents in them, they aren't original. You may recall that the seats had a tendency to rip on the side bolster. Many, many people complained about the vents. At two previous owners and 65k miles, I would suspect replacement. Original 1969 American import seats had vents.

Chris

well, on the strap note being for early cars, I am not sure if the base is useable on a steel spring bottom (use straps on a steel for authenticity if needed to)....if they aren't interchangeable, I have a strap bottom I would trade for a steel bottom if someone needs the strap bottom for a show car, etc....

doubt it, but you never know. I have the whole recline seat upper as well...I could break down to just metal and ship (strap clips that attach to square tube base would be included).

Anybody have a steel bottom they want to sell me? It is a more comfortable, not to mention longer lasting original style seat solution.

Thanks!

Kats has a very early parts book. I think HS30-H has early references also. I have never been able to come up with a part number for them. If you could find a dated parts catalog that references them, it would help determine their application.

Chris

Just to follow this up - I have searched for the part numbers of the seat cushion 'guards' and I too drew a blank.

The earliest Japanese parts lists I have ( dated November 1969 ) show them in the illustrations but don't give part numbers. This is surprising, as just about every other single nut, bolt and component of the seats is listed. Same situation with the RHD Export parts lists.

The Japanese market 'Service Shuho' booklets ( issued to the dealers to clue them up on the new models ) also have illustrations that explain the seats and their workings. The seat guards can be seen, but are not mentioned.

My *guess* is that they were already decided to be surplus to requirements by the time the parts catalogs, Service Shuho booklets and factory workshop manuals were being compiled.

But I'll keep my eyes open.

• 1 year later...

on the subject of early Z seats, I have two seats in my 1970 Fairlady Z (JDM) that have vertical stitching I have not seen before.

At this moment I dont' have good pictures of them. I can get some soon. The driver's seat is severely damaged so I'd like to replace it or get it fixed.

I have a replacement passenger 240Z seat with horizontal stitching for right now.

any thoughts on these?

post-1695-14150801540936_thumb.jpg

post-1695-14150801541272_thumb.jpg

post-1695-1415080154151_thumb.jpg

Ours is a 1971 240Z, and only one of the seat elements was ruined from years in the California sun, and that was the bottom of the driver's seat. We had a lot of estimates and none was below $160 just for that one bottom cushion. Since we're selling our family jewel, didn't want to increase the selling price any further, so I spent the last two weeks 'fixing/patching' that original '71 seat. Here's a link to the work done, and it may not be the most prized of possessions, but then, the '71 is and we've managed to sit pretty/sit comfy and maintain the original seat set-up. It's been really interesting as well as challenging, but my hubby helped me through all this and it works for us. Environmentally sound to boot. LOL.

http://www.asta.bizhosting.com/images/Oct-Asta-Z-Seat-fix42.JPG Here you see how the sun blasted the stitching on just that cushion

Here you see the various steps to fix/patch/repair. Needless to say, it's a fix, not brand new, but is adjustable to height, and works well for us.

http://www.asta.bizhosting.com/OctoberUpdates-2.htm

I guess I'd ask, given the info learned from this thread, what does it take to keep the "original" validly called "original"? In my case, would it have been "original" if I had purchased replacement parts instead vs. patching up the originals to legitimately be called "original" ???

Thanks bunches,

":0)

Thank you for your response here, Bryan. I guess you're right on spot! Asker disappeared. Boo hoo. Not sure how I found this thread to reactivate it, but thought it to be worthy of checking out. Your '71 looks so good! Ours has a VIN# fairly close to yours with HLS30-28499 .... so guessing our '71 is a bit older than yours, no?

":0)

• 1 month later...

Since this thread was revived, it got me thinking. So I checked my new Z, and I'll be damned if my passenger side seat doesn't have plastic guard everyone was talking about.

In this case, I'd like to say that I am interested now in a drivers side guard, so if you have one, let me know.

post-15469-1415080190178_thumb.jpg

post-15469-14150801901527_thumb.jpg

Since this thread was revived, it got me thinking. So I checked my new Z, and I'll be damned if my passenger side seat doesn't have plastic guard everyone was talking about.

In this case, I'd like to say that I am interested now in a drivers side guard, so if you have one, let me know.

[ATTACH]20819[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20820[/ATTACH]

You must have a very early 1970 to have those seats guards. What is your VIN #? I think you will find that these seat guards are unobtainable, since they were on so few cars and were damaged fairly easily and discarded. We need someone to make good reproductions of a set, but the market would be so small that it would be difficult for someone to take that project on. I think Will (hls30.com) has talked about trying to make some, but he needs a set to make a mold from. I know I would be in for several sets if that ever happens.

-Mike