IGNORED

240z # 2

ddezso

Well - it appears I have been scammed (or someone before me was). Although the VIN on the dash says HLS3003137, the firewall is stamped with HLS3014160.

I've attached pics of both. Does the dash VIN look like a fake to you or is it more likely that it is a dash taken from another car? Obviously the jamb and engine plates were removed to perpetuate the scam....

Based on this new VIN number any idea what year and build date I have? I want to get the VIN's correct all the way around....

I feel so used

post-9919-14150796182426_thumb.jpg

post-9919-14150796182737_thumb.jpg

OK guys - get a load of this. This is from Carl Beck. I sent in the original VIN to register on his site, then sent a note saying I discovered it was the wrong VIN. I suppose this could be a lesson to everyone. I am interested in yor thoughts and what you would do. I am confident the seller had no idea or bad intent and I love the car and want to keep it. The title references the wrong official VIN #.

Hi Derek:

#14160 would still be a Series I, 240-Z (meaning it has the same

body style as all cars built between Oct. 1969 and Jan. of 1971. with the fresh air exhaust vents on the deck lid)...

But it is more than likely it was originally sold as, and titled as a

1971 Model Year 240-Z. It would have had a build date of 11/70, so it most likely didn't arrive at the dealership for sale until around Jan or Feb of 1971.

Your first concern - is that if for some reason any law enforcement officer runs that original VIN (14160) and finds it was reported either stolen, or totalled - - - they can and will impound the car on the spot. If you are in an accident and they check the car - your in real trouble.

Likewise this could be real trouble with your insurance company. If it's wrecked, and the adjustor checks the VIN's... he'll tell the insurance company it isn't the car you had insured (the VIN's don't match). That could leave you in very bad position with no personal liability coverage! (something that could take you a lifetime to pay off if a judgment was entered against you... NOT GOOD).

It is "possible" that the car was rebuilt out of a junk yard - in which case by law it should have been assigned a new VIN by the Department of Motor Vehicles, and that should have been indicated on the title.

It is "possible" that someone owned both cars and simply used the newer body shell - to replace the original one. In that case, to be on the correct side of the law, a law enforcement officer should have been present when the VIN on the dash was removed.... and after the "full body replacement" was accomplished, that same officer should have been present when the VIN was placed back in the car. Of course any buyer should then be furnished with copies of that paperwork - so they would know it was done legally and without intent to defraud.

At this point - because you know that the chassis doesn't match the VIN - if you resell it to someone else - they could drive it for year, wreck it, and return it to you - or go to the Police and press charges for fraud against you. (not a good situation to be in).

If I were you, I'd take it back to the seller - and demand my money back. If he doesn't return it in cash, in full and at once - I'd talk to a lawyer about what the next step should be. At any rate it's bag you don't want to be left holding... and one you certainly don't want to attempt to pass on to anyone else.. the personal liability is simply too great.

good luck,

I agree with Carl, at least somewhat. I'd get an attorney involved, either to facilitate correcting the title, or to facilitate the car's return if necessary. You definitely don't want to have the car and the title not match.

i was looking at a zed and the door jam tag had been drilled out and replaced with screws instead of revits and the vin # was obscured and i could only make out two numerals. couldn't match it up with the dash vin and no reasonable explaination from the seller why. i walked away.i didn't know about the firewall # till now.

The tough part is I love the car, have already put about $800 into improvements, and dont want to call a lawyer. The current plan is to have both VIN's checked to make sure it's not stolen property. If it passes that test then I'll figure out how to make it legit. Otherwise the seller is going to have an unpleasant call...