IGNORED

Garage floor paint Question

beandip

I just returned from Home Depot , and they have a couple of options . Behr brand paint , has a '' 1-PART EPOXY " acrilic paint for garage floors. They also have two part Epoxy paint that is made by another company , they both have flakes to spread and or stuff to make it less slippery when wet. Has any one used either of these and if so how do they hold up ? I am wondering how tuff the coating is if I choose to use my floor jack with the steel wheels , or the dollies . I have used concrete porch paint in the past on a different house and durability and slickness when wet, is a deffinate concern. With all the rain here in Oregon , I don't want my wife to slip and fall on a slick floor when we drive in during winter . Once any of the coverings are down you have to live with it . Gary

I used the Rustoelum gray 2 part epoxy-I did not use the sprinkels-, and it scratches too easily-no floor jack use, but I do scoot heavy boxes around-hence the scratches. Rubber wheeled dollies do no damage.

The floor is not slippery when wet with anything buy oil, and it is impervious to solvents.

Will

I used Spreadrock on my front steps , but they say it is good for garage floors also. It works well for the steps but I'm skeptical about garage usage .I think if you look up daich coatings they'll have the info.

I've been thinking of doing this myself. One thing to consider is you apparently have to let the stuff dry for at least 7 days before driving on it. If that's truly the case I was thinking I might have to do a portion of the garage at a time and relegate one of the three cars to spending the night outdoors for a while.

Mikew , I just checked the Behr web site , you are right several days before you can drive a car on there product, 72 hrs if you use cardboard under the tires. What you must go through to prep in my case is too much trouble. My garage is as old as my 240 . LOL mriz I will look into daich and see what they say . Will , I cant remember the brand of the 2 part epoxy that H D sells , but if it scratches just sliding boxes on it , it is too fragile for what I want. Regular porch paint will do that , I have used that before . Plus it is easy to recoat . I was thinking of painting the areas where you can walk around the cars one color and under the car contrasting . Or maby a black and white checker board . I did my old hobby shop where I did all my reloading in CAMMO and coated it with urathane varish. It wore like vynal and looked great . I don't know about driveing on it though. If I can come up with something I will pass it on . If any one has anny suggestions please pass them on . Gary

My opinion with "Garage Floor Paint" is that it does NOT work. It peels and flakes off over time and looks like crap. Especially when you work on your car like we do and are wheeling floor jacks around, Jack stands, ect. that scratch the hell out of it.

I happen to come across this stuff http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/639085 Looks pretty nice but I haven't tried it yet.

Gary,

Remind me to talk about this on Sunday. It seems I have seen a couple of products featured on My Classic Car on the Speed Channel. One thing you may want to consider is that for most products the floor must be very dry before applying. That means July around here. Not sure of temperature concerns, but I'd think over 60 degrees as a guess. There is one prooduct that must be applied on a wet floor. That means as soon as you are done getting out any oil stains to allow any product to stick, you can start the application. Not a bad thought for a weekend project. Oh, I forgot, any 2 consecutive days can be the weekend for you. Lucky SOB!

I think if you find the website for My Classic Car or Eastwood, you should find what I am referring to.

B.

Thats the beauty of those mats I posted above. Floor doesn't have to be PERFECTLY clean, no drying issues to worry about, ect.

Plus, anyone else have the problem with there ramps sliding on the smooth garage floor when you try to drive up on them? I would think this stuff would solve that problem as well.

I personally like the coin pattern :)

Coinlarge.jpg

Don't have to worry about your wife slippin and sliding on this stuff beandip :D

http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/639085

Yep, comes in a roll. No adhesive needed. You can see for yourself by clicking the link I posted above.

As for Jacks/Jack stands, It comes in 3 different grades. (Standard 0.55 thick, commercial .075 thick, and Industrial .085 thick) As far as I know It's suppose to rebound after being compressed. Like I said before, I haven't tried it yet myself :) Looks like you can get a sample of it before you buy it to test it out also. Can't do that with the paint. Like you said, once its on, it's on :D