IGNORED

My New 240K Parts Car

Alfadog

Hi Lachlan,

You might try looking in the boot around the fuel tank, it often the source of cabin vapours. I've found pin holes in the tank, cracked breather lines and even disconnect tubing before. Either way, lets hope your not a smoker !

If you decide to go down the path of "parts a lot", if you could spare the side window cromes and the butched console, I would use them to complete my Lilac Coupe as they are the parts I'm missing. Cheers.

Good find, shame about the damage/old person smell/decrepid body et. al. In any case, arent there ANY panels that are worth salavging? Look forward to hearing the progress on it. Cheers,

Tom

Panels? Yes, I think the front left fender is reasonably straight and without rust. The roof is also good. Like I said previously, the bonnet MIGHT be good too. Just need a lot of sandpaper.

grr it kills me to see people using these rare cars as parts cars but i am a victim aswell... i would be very thankful to have that car in running condition, living in new england and all...

Hey Zman, I know it is sad, but these cars simply aren't worth enough for this to be used for anything but parts. Like Mr.Camo said, if this was a Z, it would be a restoration project.

Excellent, Lachlan!!

If you do part it out, I call dibs on the engine and front stone tray / radiator support and beaver tray (heck, I'll take all the panels just in case)

The rust looks bad, but it's always repairable. It's amazing what you can achieve with a bit of sheet metal and a mig (or oxy welder).

How's the glass on it? Worth keeping that too.

Oh, those wheels are original C210 skyline wheels, and look great on a 1600. You should be able to sell them for a few bucks if you ever need to.

Look forward to seeing it when I get back. If you haven't already done the conversion by then (Jan) I'll give you a hand with it.

Peter

Hi Peter! I will make sure to reserve those things for you if it gets parted out - but it doesn't have a stone tray. What is a beaver tray? The glass is good actually, just the seals on the rears that are dodgy. I certainly hope to have done the conversion by January but thankyou for your gracious offer nonetheless!! You never know, I had planned on having it converted by the beginning of this year. Are you in America now? Hope you're enjoying it!

You might try looking in the boot around the fuel tank, it often the source of cabin vapours. I've found pin holes in the tank, cracked breather lines and even disconnect tubing before. Either way, lets hope your not a smoker !

If you decide to go down the path of "parts a lot", if you could spare the side window cromes and the butched console, I would use them to complete my Lilac Coupe as they are the parts I'm missing. Cheers.

Thanks for the tip Bruce, I think it's just the disconnected pipe on the headers that's making a stink, and the car is probably running very rich. Will have a look at the tank too though. :)

hey lachlan....you know i need parts...please let me know as well if you start to part the car im sure you know what i need still.

ps. did u get my email and pictures

Hey Mikey, yep I wouldn't dare give anyone the glass before you! I did get your email, I will reply soon!

I just paid Y8,000 ($75.00 or so US) for that 5 speed shift knob. They're really hard to come by here in the Homeland. There were several color combinations - Red: GTR; Blue: GT and Gold: GTX. A bit of sandpaper, stain and oil or varnish should bring that knob up to snuff. Looks like a lot of usable parts on that car . . . .

Hey Lachlan,

The stone tray is the panel under the front bumper, visible in the front shots. Mine is badly damaged (as you have probably seen) and fixing it may take a little more magic than I'm capable. The beaver panel is the same panel at the back (I believe this one is spot welded in).

Yes, I'm in America at the moment - West Virginia to be exact. Let's just say it's an experience :stupid: . Heading off from here in about 6 weeks, and coming home via Europe (about 2-3 weeks touring around).

Thanks Ben and Miles for the positive comments :) Will definitely post the progress as it happens :rambo:

The stone tray is the panel under the front bumper, visible in the front shots. Mine is badly damaged (as you have probably seen) and fixing it may take a little more magic than I'm capable. The beaver panel is the same panel at the back (I believe this one is spot welded in).

Yes, I'm in America at the moment - West Virginia to be exact. Let's just say it's an experience :stupid: . Heading off from here in about 6 weeks, and coming home via Europe (about 2-3 weeks touring around).

Sorry Peter! I thought you meant splash pan - now I know and yes of course, the front is pretty good but I don't know how rusty the rear one is.

Glad you're having a good (?) "experience" over in the States. Europe will be fantastic too, though mostly pretty cold this time of year !

Sorry Peter! I thought you meant splash pan - now I know and yes of course, the front is pretty good but I don't know how rusty the rear one is.
Cool. Yes, these things are calles lots of different names - even STONE TRAYS. Sorry for the confusion. I guess we don't always sing off the same sheet of music, hey?
Glad you're having a good (?) "experience" over in the States. Europe will be fantastic too, though mostly pretty cold this time of year !

Mostly good, but frustrating as hell at times. They do some things a little differently over here. Not to worry - it's a good challenge.

We're spending christmas with relatives in Finland, so that'll be nice and cold (inside the arctic circle). Hubba Hubba!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Alfa,

The Tail lights you have on ebay, you say :

"These bolt straight into any 240K (sedan or hardtop)"

Not so sure that this is true for the Sedan. They might bolt in, but wouldnt look right unless you changed the rear panel, as the sedan had the same diameter lights, and the coupe has smaller diameter inner lights, and a different panel to match. Also the coupe rear panel wont fit on a sedan.

I believe that is incorrect. The tail lights themselves are exactly the same - the big chrome outer ring on the coupes make the inner lights appear smaller. It's true that the two beaver panels wont interchange (I thought they would have, but Tom proved that wrong the hard way when he tried - the sedan is slightly wider at the back), but the lights will still fit if I'm not mistaken.

However if you still are doubtful I can take some quick measurements so we can compare?