IGNORED

$500 for used taillights??

MikeW

I find it interesting that while we are glad that the Z's we own are appreciating, we denigrate anyone who would pay the higher prices for parts or cars.

The scarcity of tail lights in NOS condition is apparent to all....there are none or they are outrageously priced. That forces anyone who is looking to replace the ones on their car to look at used parts. Used parts are by definition not new, but the degree of abuse they have suffered will determine their value. A poorly maintained part will not be worth much, yet a well kept one will be worth more... to that person that needs it.

And that is the key. As long as you don't need the item, it's easy to say that the buyer is foolish. By thinking that we could get it cheaper we can sit back and gloat over someone's extravagance.....until we also find ourselves looking for that part. At that point we might find that what we thought was extravagant was actually a bargain.

In the long run scheme of things, we all secretly and quietly hope that our cars will increase in value. In order for that to happen, more people must want one than the supply of cars being sold. (Remember Economics 101?) But if we're constantly denigrating and ridiculing those who have paid the increases in prices, then we'll find ourselves bemoaning the fact that so many parts will get thrown out in the trash.

Remember what happened to the first generation of Z hubcaps. Aren't they currently selling for over $1k per set in NOS condition? Yet they were being thrown away at one point.

So you may feel that $500 is too much to pay for a set of tail-lights in useable condition (and they may be in close to perfect condition), then why don't you offer up a pair of the ones you have stashed away? The answer for most of us, is that we do NOT have the spare set. When we find ourselves in need of a new set, then we find that we can't find any (they all got thrown away) or the price is simply exorbitant because someone is trying to buy it away from us.

And as a last note, if we EVER want someone to jump in and produce Reproduction parts, then the market's price MUST go up.

So, in my book, that $500 is an EXCELLENT price.

Enrique

Blake, which is actually his name, and no, it's not me! He's a friend from Los Angeles whom I run into at the local shows, swap meets, and junkyards quite often. He generally sells good stuff at a reasonable price. The bidders made those go crazy.

I figure a NOS set should be worth at least 5 times a used set-I have one pair, $2500 anyone? That just sounds evil!!!

I have bought many things from Blake, he always had correct ads, and great customer service, it isn't his fault if a pair of lazy buyers didn't look for a great set of taillights, and chose to have a bidding war. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Will

E.Scanlon's post nailed the issue dead center. Good explanation.

Price is driven by demand and supply chain. When the supply approaches zero the price increases exponentially.

Wish I kept those '71 hubcaps that I threw in a garbage can when I moved in early 70's.

So you may feel that $500 is too much to pay for a set of tail-lights in useable condition (and they may be in close to perfect condition), then why don't you offer up a pair of the ones you have stashed away? The answer for most of us, is that we do NOT have the spare set. When we find ourselves in need of a new set, then we find that we can't find any (they all got thrown away) or the price is simply exorbitant because someone is trying to buy it away from us.

I'm not kidding. I actually have 2 sets in similar shape to those in the auction. You heard it here folks, $500 is an EXCELLENT price. If you want to pay $400, I'll even cover the shipping.

In the long run scheme of things, we all secretly and quietly hope that our cars will increase in value. In order for that to happen, more people must want one than the supply of cars being sold. (Remember Economics 101?)

Enrique

i hear you, enrique.

but by the same token, we've all seen the stock market runs/consumer goods fads where the prices are driven outrageously high due to a 'feeding frenzy'.

while i LOVE a gradual, steady, warranted increase in the value of my car and it's parts, i generally fear a panic increase. it would really hurt if you happened to need the parts in the middle of the crush. or it would really irk you if you were forced to pay the temporarily unrealistic price and soon after the market 'crashed'.

as long as this price isn't the 'new' benchmark for this part, more power to the seller.

bart

Thats whats great about ebay and the free market for that matter. the law of supply and demand, two people abviously wanted those tail lighst very bad. I could go to ecology and find tail lights in that condition. not all the time anymore but once a month at lease. Last year i paid 250 for a set of euro lenses in much bteer shape than those.

rex

c david you old frau seducer, you!

I went down to Naples last weekend to molest a parts car I found out in the everglades. From it, the owner sold an uncracked series one dash on eBay a couple of weeks ago for $650. When was the last time you saw that?! The ash tray went for $42.

You see...it's all "eBay" relative.

Agree with MontoyaFan (again)

I think this is just a spike in the so-called market. Good old fashioned bidding war (as the list of bids indicated). Just like we shouldn't take Barrett-Jackson auction sales prices to benchmark a car, I don't think there's much more to glean from this one particular auction other than two people wanting a 7/10 set of taillights REALLY bad, RIGHT now.

I've watched 10-12 other sets in similar/better shape go for $200s or so, and I think the market supports that price point over this inflated $500 sale.

S

I just saw a set in the junkyard today on a 72. I wondered why they were still there. That car must have just come in. Not being into eBay selling and not owning a 240, I left them there. They're probably gone already. At Ecology they go for 10-15 bucks each.