IGNORED

BMW 3.5 Z finally begins in earnest

alternativez

That sounds like a blast! I've always wanted to get behind the wheel of an '02. And you're right, no use in messing with a good runner. That's why I waited 2 years to strip and paint my 240 :)

Keep up the good work and keep us posted! :)

-Ken

Well, my welding shop aluminum master really did not want to cut my intake manifold, but he said he would be glad to weld it, so over the weekend I plan to set up a jig and run it through a band saw I don't have yet. Pretty good excuse to go out and buy. I would rather do it myself anyway. Probably should also learn how to weld aluminum. I hate relying on somebody else to do what I want anyway. I'm a bit anal, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

This must be one of the slowest swaps ever, but then it's been 15 years since I bought the Z, and have never driven it except at the end of a tow rope. So, last night I got busy on cutting my stock intake. The idea is to invert it and affix a supercharger to the top of the reconstucted manifold. I spent a lot of time calculating and planning, and it is perfect. I do need to find a different starter (clearance issues), but after some more detail work and rewelding, it should be exactly as I had hoped. This is going to be a really good looking engine. Very simple and "old school" straight six, but very clean and tidy. Later, Jim

Well, since last post, I've been cutting the intake and realigning it, and it's looking good, very doable. I need to do some welding, but I think I'm going to have to take the time to learn it myself. I am looking for a different starter due to a slight clearance problem. Also, since then, my son's 325e's AT went south, and coincidentally, my 76 2002 suddenly seems to have internal problems, so, you guessed it, I think it's time to lob the 2.7 with a 5 speed into the 02, along with anything else that will fit. I am a packrat for pertinent articles on cars I have or may someday have, and I have several articles on both cars and the 2.7eta, which can benefit some 30 t0 40 hp from a chip only, then more from a Dinan intake and a larger exhaust. It is one engine that can be released from its original performance limitations. Then there is also the 325i head swap, but it is not actually of as great benefit for the cost and trouble as are the other mods. What do you think guys? Sorry, I don't mean to turn this into a bimmer thread, but cars are cars, and I am interested in your thoughts. I will try to post some shots pretty soon.

Yeah, seems something always get in the way of the Z project. I still have too many cars to take care of. I have a hard time getting rid of cars. I either give them away or strip them, it seems. I stripped the 635 for the engine et al and gave almost a whole car to a friend and fellow 6 owner and then cut up the body and trashed it. I just drove my poor little old Isuzu PU to the junk yard and got $25 for it. It has worked so hard for me for the past years while remodelling my house; I really hated to do it, but I had to get it out of the driveway and off the insurance. I've have to go slowly on the Z because of all my other projects and the general cost of having a life and a family. But I'm getting a little old now, so I have to get it done so I still have some time left to enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Well. I have explored every Bosch starter that has ever appeared on a BMW engine, trying to find one that would move the solenoid downward so I would be able to continue with my intake modifications. So, nothing so far on that. I can use a smaller unit, but it means I have to work around it still. I will probably get another manifold to play with. Meanwhile, the 87 325e AT went south seriously this time, and I'm about ready to disembowel that car and swap the 2.7 "baby 6" into the 76 2002 which also died a couple of months ago. I'm not so sure what's wrong with it, but I have always said if the engine goes, I'll swap engines. I had planned to use the four from a 318, but the baby six has been done and a guy makes the mounts to do it. That and trying to break the winter blahs and get back to work on my house, I only sit on a stool and stare at the Z. Sorry, nothing new to report.