IGNORED

BMW 3.5 Z finally begins in earnest

alternativez

Damn! Somebody had this idea first! My dad has and extra e32 735i parts car but the engine is still in good condition! But I'll stick to the original engine system. Good Luck on the conversion and let us know how the car reacts! Safe swapping!

alternativez:

Good luck with this project! As a past owner of BMW's (they've gotten too expensive for me - maybe I'll be a bimwad again when/if the new 1 or 2 come to our shores), I've thought that putting a BMW 6 in a 240 would be a killer way to have a truly unique "hybrid Z" without altering its character too much. I've mentioned this to other Z owners over the last 4 years since I got my 240, and nobody else seemed to think it was a worthy idea. Seems like anybody looking to swap something into a 240 wants a small block or some variety of Nissan JDM turbo-charged supermotor.

Heck with a late 90's or early 2000's 2.5 liter, one would end up with roughly the same displacement and still have a straight six, but with a very reliable and free-revving ~200 HP. I image the weight wouldn't be far off either what with BMW's use of cool alloys and all.

Again, good luck with your project. I hope it all works out well. You're a true pioneer :-)

History: '97 318ti, 00 323i Sport, 01 Z3 2.3, 00 323ci, 01 323iT

-Ken P.

Hey, hope everyone has been having a great Christmas. I got just what I've been needing...a digital camera..., so I'll try my fingers at posting some photos in the near future. I have so many projects going, this will seem like one of the slowest swaps ever, but then I've been sitting on this Z for 15 years already, so another year won't make such a difference. It's a complete restoration with body and paint also, so imagine doing everything you want to do to your favorite car before you ever let it on the street. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I'll try to give some visuals later. Jim. Anybody need an 86 735i in cosmos blue, by any chance? Very low price ($500) for a very reasonable car? Call me at home, 765-947-5248.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I have a digital camera, took some shots, but haven't had time to sit and post them yet. So, now the project is taking a slight turn...for the better. In order to gain some room, I'm just going to have to supercharge the big six and eliminate the distributor. I found (I think) I can invert the body of the intake by judiciously cutting the end ports off just after the injector ports, invert the intake, and reweld. There is a point along the vertical cross-section of all six runners where they are all straight and parallel. I think this may be a job for a professional shop. This allows the use of the original intake shape and volume even if I don't SC, and it lowers the engine clearance below the hood by at least 6.5 inches. Just move the throttle body basically and AFM to the driver's side as I had desired. Yet, it looks perfectly likely a Magnuson/Eaton twin screw SC would sit very nicely right on top of the intake. Later, Jim

Hey BadDog, I also have an 87 325e with a bum AT going real cheap. I hate AT's and I'm sure this one is shot. Otherwise the car itself is still reasonable for 240k. I'm thinking about $200. It will drive, but slips badly under acceleration. I thought I would havefixed the heat in the 7, but new heater valve, reconnecting a loose vacuum, and checking the fuses hasn't fixed it yet. It is a very decent car though, just cold.

also dosnt take much to make those "e"s quick. U can convert it to a super eta by bolting on the "I" which is a direct bolt on. Then you could use a 524td to turbo that m20 engine. kinda the equivlant of a z with a 280zx manifold and turbo with a p90 or some turbo head. Those cars run forever aswell. My super eta has 290,xxx miles and still runs beauitfully.

Like I said, its too bad we're not closer, sounds like it'd be worthwhile to look at :-\ I always loved my bimmers but unless they bring the 1-series here I can't afford them anymore :(

bemmerguy714, you're so signature is so spot-on. I can't tell you how many times I was minding my own business, cruising along the freeway at 75 mph, when someone who was previously going a few mph slower than me until I happened to pass by them, suddenly felt the need to not be passed by a bimmer and was compelled to floor it, only to slow down again a few moments later, and repeat the cycle. Hardly eve happens with my Subaru LOL

Like I said, its too bad we're not closer, sounds like it'd be worthwhile to look at :-\ I always loved my bimmers but unless they bring the 1-series here I can't afford them anymore :(
The answer to that is to not buy them new. My current family car is a '96 328i that I bought in 2002 with 37,000 miles on it, for about 40% of what it cost new. It will last me for many years.
bemmerguy714, you're so signature is so spot-on. I can't tell you how many times I was minding my own business, cruising along the freeway at 75 mph, when someone who was previously going a few mph slower than me until I happened to pass by them, suddenly felt the need to not be passed by a bimmer and was compelled to floor it, only to slow down again a few moments later, and repeat the cycle. Hardly eve happens with my Subaru LOL
The 328i is my second BMW (not counting bikes), the previous one was an '81 European 323i. (For those in the US, imagine a 320i with small 240Z-like bumpers, four wheel disk brakes and a 2.3 liter six.) I don't catch too much of that behaviour on the road from other cars, but even driving a 20 year old BMW prompts comments like, "Ooh, you drive a BMW!" Jeeze people, the 323i had 250,000 miles on it and cost me $5000. And my 328i cost less than a new Civic would have! And these people are probably driving around in a $35k Tahoe or Explorer! :stupid:

Sorry, that punched one of my buttons.

Yeah, cars have and present certain aspects of character, dependent upon the viewer's perception. I started owning older bimmers many years back, working on them myself to save my economy. In my area there aren't many others, particularly older ones, so mine are obvious, 735, 635 (now destroyed to build the Z) 325e, and 76 2002, along with a 2004 MINI CS. There is only one other MINI nearby, and that's my brother. People around the area know me and are constantly commenting on how many cars I own, because I may drive a different one any day. And then one day I'll have the only Z around. Thing is though, I have less invested in 6 cars than many people have in one, and the lifespan of a well built car is amazing, easily getting 250k on the old straight sixes. I hope to liquidate the 7 and 3 so I can better concentrate on more important priorities...mostly the Z and the 02...

*sigh* it all brings back so many fond memories... I'd like to find my old 318ti some day or pick up an old Z3 (even the 4-banger was a blast to drive)... but then again I *have* an old sports car to play with, and a very reliable and all-weather-capable affordable new car for all other driving duties (the new Legacy's are VERY nice... about the closest thing to BMW-ness out there... probably why lotys of people say "Subaru wants to be the Japanese BMW"). Still, if I had the $$ and the space, I'd have some BMW's in my stable:

318ti Sport

any Z3

any 7

a 1st-gen 5-er

and a 2002tii for good measure ;-)

Oh, and Yes, at the time, my 318ti cost less than (and 323i cost ~ the same as) a loaded-up V6 Accord or Camry!

Try an old 2002 with the drivetrain from a 90 or so 318i. Nice fit, smooth starting and more power, 5 speed...I may do that with mine some day, but first the Z. I just keep my eyes open in case a cheap 318 might come my way, strip it and wait until the old 02 dies. It runs so well I can't see starting that kind of project on a good, running car, especially when I have the Z project, and I'm building my home on my own...a major project.