IGNORED

How fast will it really go?

cremmenga

Especially in a home built, hybrid with very little (like no) mention of any safety type modifications. Let's see, so far you have a 400-500 hp SBC, a roll cage, a 6speed trans and plans for a new rear end. What about brakes, suspension, aerodynamics (mentioned extensively here as a definite problem at that speed), and driving skill. I'm not knocking your driving skill, I don't even know you but who really has enough skill to drive a car on public roads at that speed with all of the potential varibles and dangers? You'd be relying on luck. Dream on, rock on!

Especially in a home built, hybrid with very little (like no) mention of any safety type modifications. Let's see, so far you have a 400-500 hp SBC, a roll cage, a 6speed trans and plans for a new rear end. What about brakes, suspension, aerodynamics (mentioned extensively here as a definite problem at that speed), and driving skill. I'm not knocking your driving skill, I don't even know you but who really has enough skill to drive a car on public roads at that speed with all of the potential varibles and dangers? You'd be relying on luck. Dream on, rock on!

the 8 point role cage will go in it,m I have carbon fiber race seats with 6 point harnesses, sturt bars, not to mention the extra welding to strenghten the car. fuel cell, fire systems, z rated tires, all around slotted and drilled disks, new bushings, shocks, struts, springs, sway bars, etc.. If you guys knew me you would know I am crazy enough to do that!!!! ROFL like i said 189mph in a Z06!!! All I can say is bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving a Z to speeds like 150+ is just plan stupid unless you have done some major work to the suspension, areodynamics and have all new or excellent condition bushings, hubs, ball jionts ect and the right allignment. Then it should only be done on a track. Z's were never meant to be driven at those speeds. Even some of the cars from the same time that were designed to go that fast were death traps like the Ferrari Dino and the 930 Turbo. The front end on those cars got really light and many people died in them as a result. So many people got killed in or by the 930 that Porche was sues and had to drop the 930. They changed it to the 911 Turbo which was still the same car but on paper the name change satisfied the courts.

Like the Z's our roads were not designed to be travel on by cars going that fast. People are not taught to drive that fast in this country or know how to drive around some one giong that fast. As the speed increases the odds of something going wrong grows exponentally.

You do not want to be equated with the Fast and the Furious crowd; start driving that fast and you will become part of the F&F crowd, if you are not already. Like it or not, in the US, Z's are the original ricer.

The 930 has semi-trailing arm suspension so when you get out of the gas in a turn it toes out, basically it has hellacious lift-throttle oversteer. The early ones also had tremendous turbo lag followed by near instantaneous 100hp jump in power. So you'd get these dentists going around turns and punching the gas, hitting the boost, pooping their pants then getting out of the throttle, and then spinning off the road into trees, light poles, etc. FWIW when I was working as a Porsche mechanic the 930 was always called the 930. The 993 was the last of the air cooled 911s, which was followed by the 996. These are just examples, but every Porsche has its own "internal" model numbers and I don't recall them ever being used for marketing purposes. Kind of like S30, S130, Z31, Z32, etc.

As far as driving a Z at those kinds of speeds on public roads I just hope he doesn't kill anyone. My advice is take it to the track. More fun and less chance of hurting an innocent bystander.

Cremmenga

I just saw a 71z with a sbc and it is a great combination. The motor is set back close to the firewall which moved the extra 165lbs back, making steering much better. Exhaust along rocker panels like a Cobra. This car is a toy, what are you going to do with yours? I would take it to Bonneville if possible although there is a track on the East Coast. the record for a Z is 169mph with a 280 motor. If you really want to go fast, take the car through tech and be sure it is ready. Then you can make qualifying passes at higher speeds until the car tops out or your nerves hit the wall. Your class record would probably be aroung 200mph...the car would need some modifications. Goog Luck

Bob M

It seems as though cremmenga is dead set on tearing up the public streets...I see Fast and Furious 3 and he's the star! ROFL Not saying that you are a ricer, just making the analogy to your stated driving habbits.

You don't think I know about long straight empty highways? Look at my screen name! I can drive 5 hours in any direction and still be in the same state! We have PLENTY of these kinds of roads. We also have tons of winding twisting ones for that type of thrill.

All it takes is for one of those farmers to pull out on the road in his '64 Dodge (we all know how slow they drive) and SPLAT! There goes the Z and anyone in it.

You said that you have a friend drive a couple miles ahead of you and let you know the road is clear...great now there's two people haulin' arse at 150+MPH AND talking on the phone/radio.

Take a look at the trend in everyone's replies here...we only want you and others to be safe and keep this kind of driving on the track. That's all man.

It seems as though cremmenga is dead set on tearing up the public streets...I see Fast and Furious 3 and he's the star! ROFL Not saying that you are a ricer, just making the analogy to your stated driving habbits.

You don't think I know about long straight empty highways? Look at my screen name! I can drive 5 hours in any direction and still be in the same state! We have PLENTY of these kinds of roads. We also have tons of winding twisting ones for that type of thrill.

All it takes is for one of those farmers to pull out on the road in his '64 Dodge (we all know how slow they drive) and SPLAT! There goes the Z and anyone in it.

You said that you have a friend drive a couple miles ahead of you and let you know the road is clear...great now there's two people haulin' arse at 150+MPH AND talking on the phone/radio.

Take a look at the trend in everyone's replies here...we only want you and others to be safe and keep this kind of driving on the track. That's all man.

LOL no no no you guys have it all wrong, the road i use has not other connecting roads therefor nobody can turn on to it., and i don't talk on the phone while driving i wait for the all clear call then go and if my phone rings after that, i slow down to the speed limit! it is my warning system. Driving is an art that takes total consentration. In my Z I have no heater,a/c, or any of the control knobs, no radio, or cup holders or anything else that takes your mind off of what I am building this car to do! and once again i will state there is nobody with in miles when I am doing this, there are feilds on both sides of the roads that are blowed to dirt so i can see for hundreds of yards on both sides of the road, nobody can sneak out of the ditch and run across the road or drive across it including animals without me seeing it from along ways away! the only one who could get hurt doing this is me and my car! and maybe a road sign or two. othere than to there literally is nothing for miles!

Just out of curiosity, when is this 400 - 500 hp SBC gonna be built, and what modifications do you plan on doing to the SBC to build it up?

Something that also crossed my mind, how much of this car do you actually have built? The stuff you are talking about is gonna cost big $$$. Not to say you don't have it or anything, but judging by your signiture, this car is gonna take a very very long time with all those modications you plan on doing

I believe the reason for the change to twin turbos was to give the car a more linear acceleration. I rode in a `76 930 that belonged to a drummer in a band I was in. The car was a beast. It probably was not the fastest car to 60 I have ever been in but it felt like it. The rush of power at 3500 RPM was increadible. The car had a 4 speed and would hit nearly 60 in first gear. He tried to autox the car but spun it too much. It was a combo of the turbo lag and driving skills. He and his Porsche friend told me about the law suits, they mentioned the same type of story only it involved a guys daughter who killed herself and her friend (they stole the car from daddy one night) they died doing exactly what you said.

The 930 has semi-trailing arm suspension so when you get out of the gas in a turn it toes out, basically it has hellacious lift-throttle oversteer. The early ones also had tremendous turbo lag followed by near instantaneous 100hp jump in power. So you'd get these dentists going around turns and punching the gas, hitting the boost, pooping their pants then getting out of the throttle, and then spinning off the road into trees, light poles, etc. FWIW when I was working as a Porsche mechanic the 930 was always called the 930. The 993 was the last of the air cooled 911s, which was followed by the 996. These are just examples, but every Porsche has its own "internal" model numbers and I don't recall them ever being used for marketing purposes. Kind of like S30, S130, Z31, Z32, etc.

As far as driving a Z at those kinds of speeds on public roads I just hope he doesn't kill anyone. My advice is take it to the track. More fun and less chance of hurting an innocent bystander.