IGNORED

JC Whitney door seals

Ed

I just got a set of Precision weatherstripping off ebay, decent price for what's out there!

As soon as the weather warms up a bit, i will try to de-strip my car and let you guys know what's up with the Precision set.

JC Whitney door seal part # ZX132568R It comes in a 25' length for $25.99 this is enough for both doors . This clips on the flange just like the OEM I bought he kit made by precision because I needed all the other seal as well as the door seals . I have installed the precision door seals and havent had any trouble. I must close the passinger door firmly for it to completely latch and line up smoothly . The driver side door closes much easier . NEITHER door must be slammed to close properly . Had I not needed all the window seals , I would have bought the JC whitney seal for the doors. They also have the felt window channel that fits in the chrome trim on the doors . Like $15.00 Gary

JC Whitney door seal part # ZX132568R It comes in a 25' length for $25.99 this is enough for both doors . This clips on the flange just like the OEM I bought he kit made by precision because I needed all the other seal as well as the door seals . I have installed the precision door seals and havent had any trouble. I must close the passinger door firmly for it to completely latch and line up smoothly . The driver side door closes much easier . NEITHER door must be slammed to close properly . Had I not needed all the window seals , I would have bought the JC whitney seal for the doors. They also have the felt window channel that fits in the chrome trim on the doors . Like $15.00 Gary

It looks like the link in the first post goes to a universal door/trunk/hatch seal, while the part number you give goes to Push On Weatherstrip. Which is right? I might as well order this while I get some new weatherstripping for my pickup. Also do you have the channel felt PN? Thanks, Gary,

Gary D.

I replaced my precision seals with the JC Whitney seals mentioned in the #1 post. I ordered two sets, one for each door. There was about 10" left on each side. I cut the begining at a 45 degree angle and started and finished in the top rear corner. The built-in welting worked great, just like the OEM welting. My doors do close a bit better now than before. The JC seals are hollow and compress better than the solid precision ones. However I'm still not 100% happy. I still have to slam my doors. I was hoping that after a while they would relax a bit, it's only been 2 months so I will give it some more time. I still have my original seals back in New York and if my doors are still a pain by the time I go back I will put the old seals back.

If you need more than the door seals the precision kit is great because it has about everything. Windshield, hood to cowling, under door, door, quarter window, rear window, hatch and the 3 piece hatch. If you only need to do your doors than I would suggest going with the JC Witney seals. Or OEM.

And like Beandip mentioned the precision seals worked great on his 73 on my 73 they didn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another data point to this discussion ...

Before seeing this thread, I had already purchased from MSA a two-piece (welting w/separate weatherstip) door seal for my driver side door. Installed the kit and it looked great - much better than the 33+ year old seal that was torn and leaking. Only problem is that the door absolutely won't close - no matter how hard you try to slam the door. If you slam hard enough, it will "catch" (with the rear of the door sticking out 1/2") but it is not latched with the door lock rotated in to the striker. That was Plan A.

Read this thread and ordered the J.C. Whitney seal referenced in the first post of this thread. Installs pretty easy, the welting pushes on easy enough ... looks great. Only problem is that the door absolutely won't close - no matter how hard you try to slam the door. That was Plan B.

Anybody know the current sources for OEM for a 240 ??? (that would be Plan C ! ) :rolleyes:

They (MSA) sell three varieties--repro, repro with attached welting and "genuine." I'll call tomorrow and ask about what "genuine" means if I get a chance...

Final report for the knowlege base:

Drove over to MSA today. I brought with me the "old-style" Precision two-piece seal and the J.C. Whitney seals that I had already purchased. Sal at MSA brought out the "genuine" weatherstrip (came in a bag with a Nissan label and part number - is designed to use a separate welting) and he also brought out the "new-style" Precision one-piece seal with the weatherstrip attached to the welting. I had also brought with me the old seal that had been on the car. Laying the 5 types of seal out, the new-style, one-piece Precision was the closest match to what was on the car - took one of those home, it installed in 10 minutes, and door closes fine - you have to use just a "bit" of force, but you don't have to slam it.

So, in my case, the J.C. Whitney seal was not the way to go and the one-piece Precision seal was the best fit. I'll be going back for another one for the passenger side. :D

Thanks for the update....never got a chance to call as (A) the wife has me doing spring landscaping projects and (B) couldn't stomach the thougth of ordering one of each...

I'd like to stick with the original look of the welting. Do you think the "genuine" ones without attached welting will do the job? Did Sal have specific opinions about the types?

Thanks again,

Steve

I went to MSA specifically to check out the "genuine" weatherstrip. It was softer/thinner than the 2-pc (separate welting) Presision weatherstrip - a plus. However, MSA does not have the original welting so you have to use the same aftermarket welting as is used on the 2-pc Precision. This welting is deeper than the original Datsun welting but installed OK on my car. So, the "genuine" MIGHT have worked but I didn't take it home.

While I was checking out the "genuine" seal, Sal went back and brought out the Precision with the attached welting and recommended that one over the others. As I mentioned above, when all were laid out, the 1-pc Precision was the closest match to what I had, so with that match, and with Sal's recommendation, that's what I got. The attached welting on this one is shallower like the original Datsun welting; however, the outside surface of the welting has a rubber coating - not a plastic-type jacket like the original. That doesn't bother me personally and I think this 1-pc looks great on my car - especially compared to the 30+ year old seals !

Reading all the posts above, there seems to be no one solution that works for everyone.

FWIW, attached are a couple of quick photos that I just took of a trimmed piece of the 1-pc Precision.

post-10882-14150797099304_thumb.jpg

post-10882-14150797099518_thumb.jpg

My car is a 6/72 and the door seals that were on it are 1-pc so I can't compare to an early 2-pc seal. I have owned the car since new and don't recall ever replacing the door seals (although I had the car repainted in 1987 and I've been trying to remember if the seals were replaced then...).

For another point of reference - this photo is of the weatherstrip from the Precision 2-pc set-up - this absolutely would NOT work on my car. The "genuine" weatherstrip offered by MSA has a similar profile, but is made of softer rubber and compresses more readily.

post-10882-14150797099644_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Goose, that's really good to know, especially since I procured my 1 piece Precision set, but not had a chance to get it on the car with all the rains we are having in Northern Cali. Bummer it's supposed to rain for every day in the 10 day forcast!!!