IGNORED

JC Whitney door seals

Ed

• 4 months later...

Well I gave those other seals 6 months and they were still tight. The drivers door wouldn't seal and you could hear the wind blowing while driving. Sooo I pulled the old seals and installed the J C Whitney seals. I ordered two seals and had about 1 1/2 feet left over on each side so there is plenty. They look pretty close to the OEM seals. And they are softer than the last ones I had. I was able to close the drivers door a bit more than before but it is still tight. The passenger door is much better. I'll get back with you in a couple of weeks. I want to see if the drivers door improves. When I get my car running again I'll see if the wind noise is gone.

OK, now I'm totally confused. I've been looking at door seals for a while, thinking all along that OEM is the only way to go, and if I pony up the bucks, I'll get 240Z seals to go with my stock welting. A while back I emailed Charlie Osborne in response to one of his emails on the 240Z email list, and he said the only OEM seals left were for the 280Z, but they should fit fine. Courtesy Nissan said the same thing. $hit, I thought. Why pay $150+ per seal if it isn't the right one?

Now MSA says on their website that Precision's seal works very well, and the phrasing implies that maybe something has changed in their design...VB's stuff is major inexpensive, and I suspect that the quality is, well--suspect.

So JC Whitney is now the better choice? Can I use my stock welting with it?

Help!

Steve

OK, now I'm totally confused. I've been looking at door seals for a while, thinking all along that OEM is the only way to go, and if I pony up the bucks, I'll get 240Z seals to go with my stock welting. A while back I emailed Charlie Osborne in response to one of his emails on the 240Z email list, and he said the only OEM seals left were for the 280Z, but they should fit fine. Courtesy Nissan said the same thing. $hit, I thought. Why pay $150+ per seal if it isn't the right one?

Now MSA says on their website that Precision's seal works very well, and the phrasing implies that maybe something has changed in their design...VB's stuff is major inexpensive, and I suspect that the quality is, well--suspect.

Help!

Steve

Steve in nutshell. Most door seals being sold now no matter who sells it, is an after market one. For some people they work fine for most they don't. You won't know until you try. OEM seals are the way too go but $$$ and there are still a few out there. The J C Whitney seals don't require the welting and are softer then the aftermarket ones. (The aftermarket ones are solid and the C ones are hollow). HTH

Ed

Help!

Steve

Keep in mind that they are selling a product. They aren't going to say, "Oh by the way, these seals SUCK for many people who try to use them.

Incidently, what is different about the current Precision seals is that their original seals (sold for 240Z's) used separate welting like the OEM 240Z seals and were even worse than the current product for fit and function. The current Precison seals are sim ilar to the 280z OEM style that have the welting built into the seal as one unit. They still don't work very well.

This thread is great, guys!

I have been wondering about what seals to buy. I have a '72 and the door seals with that one (dont know if they are stock or not) are thick, hollow, and a bit fuzzy (but in bad shape), and on a '71 donor car I got, the seals are more rigid and smaller, not fuzzy just flat rubber, and I think theres a 'welting' under it. Does anyone have pics of what OEM look like?? I'd like to see what is actually stock and what is replacement.

Zak

Keep in mind that they are selling a product. They aren't going to say, "Oh by the way, these seals SUCK for many people who try to use them.

Incidently, what is different about the current Precision seals is that their original seals (sold for 240Z's) used separate welting like the OEM 240Z seals and were even worse than the current product for fit and function. The current Precison seals are sim ilar to the 280z OEM style that have the welting built into the seal as one unit. They still don't work very well.

Yeah...I get that they are selling something. My point is that they SEEMED to be acknowledging the fact that the priors sucked and that (inferring here) Precision has made it better. They sell three varieties--repro, repro with attached welting and "genuine." I'll call tomorrow and ask about what "genuine" means if I get a chance...

• 1 month later...
The J C Whitney seals don't require the welting and are softer then the aftermarket ones. (The aftermarket ones are solid and the C ones are hollow). HTH

Ed

I know this seems lame but I read the whole thread and I still don't understand which door seal to use. On the J.C.Whitney site they all looked about the same to me. Which one was decided to work on a 73Z. I need all the help I can get.:stupid:

I know this seems lame but I read the whole thread and I still don't understand which door seal to use. On the J.C.Whitney site they all looked about the same to me. Which one was decided to work on a 73Z. I need all the help I can get.:stupid:

I guess so.

Did you click on the "JC Whitney" link located in Post #1 of this thread?

If you do, it will take you directly to the item being discussed.