IGNORED

Thinking of selling my Z... advice?

mimregi

wow... you guys are are making me want to cry =-)

Tough to keep thinking about it in the face of all the advice. Economically, if this guy at work makes a solid offer, I may not be able to say no... but you definitely have me leaning away from actually posting it or persuing the sale.

We'll see... if I do decide to sell it (I would stand to make a healthy profit I think), I will post it here first, I would hate for it to go to someone who wouldnt appreciate it.

Thanks =)

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you also have to have the car in a secure weather-proof facility, i.e., locked garage? That may pose some problems if you are renting an apartment or something similar...

Just don't sell the Z...

S

I have Hagerty on my Z and yes, a secure locking storage (garage) is a requirement. You also need to have a full time - insured daily driver car for every licensed driver in the house before you can get the collector status too. But the upside is that there is no mileage limit (i checked and double checked on that - even confirmed that a cross country drive is still considered a pleasure ride as long as I have my daily driver), AND it's seriously inexpensive. I valued my Z at $4K and the premium is only $100/yr. with BETTER coverage than I have on my DD. BTW, I pay more than that every month to insure my daily driver. FWIW, I dont think that Hagerty stipulates that it needs to be YOUR garage (attached or otherwise on your property), so a rental garage might suffice. With the money you'd save in insuring a boring little 4dr. sedan as your DD, it might just cover renting a little garage space too. Hey, where there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks, Ricklandia, I was going to answer xray until I read your post. I forgot to mention the garage thing. I guess I kind of took that for granted. I believe that is was Sleepy-Z who mentioned a 12 mile commute? I don't know which company he has his collector insurance through but with Hagerty, you can't use your car to commute.

As for the market price of a nice 240Z, I have seen a couple of very nice ones sell for $13K and $19.5K recently. That being said, I personally think you should keep it, as I don't think you'll end up saving very much on gas costs by switching to a different car, as you would really need to get some very, very high mpg in order to really save any significant $$$. Finally, while you may make some profit on the car you sell now, you will definately lose it and end up paying more when you 'buy back in'.

Thanks, Ricklandia, I was going to answer xray until I read your post. I forgot to mention the garage thing. I guess I kind of took that for granted. I believe that is was Sleepy-Z who mentioned a 12 mile commute? I don't know which company he has his collector insurance through but with Hagerty, you can't use your car to commute.

Yea, they told me not to "commute" in it, but I only do it 2 days a week mostly b/c I wash and wax it every week at work and want to give it a good drive every couple of days. If I get in an accident, I was simply taking it to work to clean it for a show. The insurance company didn't seem to care what I was doing with it just as long as I keep the miles below the limit, if anything its safer at work then in my drive way at home. BTW my advice is to keep it somehow, my dad has a photo album of his old cars that I look at when I think of selling my any of my Z's, lets just say he almost cries when he looks at them and watches barrett-jackson to see how much some sell for today. If you know who your selling it to will take care of it and possibly sell it back to you one day that may be different but just keep it, you only live life once(as far as I know).

• 4 weeks later...

After much deliberation and a few new bits of news at home, I have decide with a heavy heart to do it...

http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=733&sort=1&cat=1&page=1

If anyone is interested or knows anyone that might be, drop me a line. I hate losing the car, but it is necessary atm, so any help would be appreciated =-)

After much deliberation and a few new bits of news at home, I have decide with a heavy heart to do it...

http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=733&sort=1&cat=1&page=1

If anyone is interested or knows anyone that might be, drop me a line. I hate losing the car, but it is necessary atm, so any help would be appreciated =-)

If you have to sell it I think your asking price is right on the money for the condition your car is in.

You may not sell it as quick as you want, but someone will definatly buy it. I would not drop the price at all. Anyone who has spent any time restoring a z knows they will eventually spend the same amount if not more to get a cr in that good of shape.

good luck,

Mark

Appearantly you made your decision !!!! I see you car in the Classified adds !!! Nice car !!!! You are the only one that knows what is best for you in your situation !!!! WOW that was fast I just went over to browse ZCAR.COM classified and low and behold your Z is posted there too !!!! Is it on ebay yet ????

I appreciate the support on the price. The only thing that pushed me over the edge to sell it was getting full value for it -- I am not trying to "get rid of it" so getting much less than what I am asking... well, I'd rather keep it =) When the worst case scenario is a beutiful car, life could be worse! Besides, anyone who is willing to pay what it's worth will apprciate it and take care of it, and that makes the hurt less ;)

And no, I haven't posted it to e-bay just yet. I figure I would go the free route with some enthusiast sites, take it to the local z-club meet (next week I think) and see if I get a nibble before going to e-bay. I am prepared for it to take some time to find the right buyer, and I'm not positive a 10 day e-bay auction will get me what I want (for those of you that watch the e-bay auctions, do the cars that list that high tend to sell?).

I will be back... oh yes, I will be back ;)