IGNORED

Under hood rubber seals...

71ZZZZZ

You've installed it exactly reversed. See my post on this thread (#6).

The specific end of the rubber that you're showing there should be up by the passenger (Right) side of the car. The "flat" side of the gasket faces the engine.

After installation the "lean" of the gasket should be outwards AWAY from the engine and TOWARDS the tire/wheel.

The lean of the gasket is important because as the fender is mounted, it will compress against the underside of the fender, as it gets further compressed you want it to be pushed outward to direct any water BACK to the wheel plenum.

Additionally, you should bring the forward edge of the gasket down to where it meets the straight portion of the seam. This is so that there isn't any openings where the silt / spray from the front tire can kick up and into the drain hole for the top part of the vent tube.

If you let that drain tube on the top of that whole front support/ fresh air vent plenum get clogged, you will; regret it. That little hole by the very front (about 1/4" above the center of the "Y") is the ONLY drain for all of the water that splashes into the space between the hood and cowl, as well as between the side inspection doors and the cowl.

In fact, if you have enough gasket, mount it so that any excess is down towards the headlight. This will help keep the splash out from your engine compartment.

FWIW (Hopefully it's READ this time.)

Enrique

Those projections on the wheel side of the outer fender should have pads on them before the fender is put back on, so should the one in front of the inspection lid opening. I cut a couple of pieces of closed foam rubber strips and stuck them on. I bought the closed foam rubber at the local Ace hardware.

I also ran a strip of the foam along the outer edge of the filler panel between the inner & outer fender. It's the one right behind the tire, can't remember what it's called...

Hey guys...thanks for the posts in this thread...if my paint guy does decide to pull the fenders I'll make sure to be around to observe/photo all of the pad and gasket orientations before painting to have exact reference for replacements...at what point would one have to replace this seal? Since I'm in SoCal we usually don't get that much rain...

Replace if it's cracked, torn, or down and outright HARD.

As far as not having rain, that may be, but do you NEVER have any kind of water on the road that could be splashed up? Even just rolling through a small puddle will splash way up there and, if you don't have the gasket, INTO your engine compartment. You decide if it's needed.

As far as MAYBE removing the fenders....well, I think you're asking to ignore a potentially major problem down the road. The area behind the sheel, behind that portion of the metal that supports the fender is where the drain cowl empties. I'm willing to bet theres some kind of crud back there. At least get a good look in there by lifting up the hard rubber flap and shining a flashlight in there. Remember, this area is one of the "typical" rust areas of the car. You decide if you should check it now, while repairing the damage would be quick and easy, or waiting till you have to cut and weld new metal.

2¢

Enrique

I see you're in the PAC NW...actually unless it's our "rainy" season...no (you would laugh at our "team coverage" of rain... :laugh: ) but your point is well taken...I'll take a look before I go to paint...BTW looking at the pics ampsman did where would I check that flap, through the inner door jamb, under the the car? Not to be dense but since I don't have access to my car right now, I can't visualize this access...

(I like the look of the chrome trim headlight covers...what's with your headlights? Are they some lamp retro fit?)