IGNORED

whats the widest rear wheels for 73' z 17 inch i can run

sphy1005

With a stock suspension you will not be able to go past an 8" wheel with a 0 offset or a 4.5" back space. You might be able to get away with a 4.75" BS (+7 offset) but that would be pushing things. With the right coil over set up people are running 9" wheels with 245/40/17's and with the fender lip rolled I have seen pictures of a car with 9.5" wheels with 275/40/17's with out using flares. I do not have first hand experience with coil overs but recently there was a post with a picture on www.Hybridz.org of a wheel with a 5.5" back space on 2.25" diameter coil overs. Most people run 2.5" springs on the coil overs so the max BS on that set up would be 5.25" or a +7 offset on a 9" wheel. Therer are a lot of people on Hybridz running 17" wheels with all typs of suspension set ups, you might try giong over there and searching around a bit you should be able to find enough info to answer every wheel tire suspension combo question you can think of.

Just a thought, Many prople run honda bolt pattern and offset wheels with adapters because the wheels are cheap and easy to find. IMO this is a bad move. The adapters are around 40+ MM thick ("1.5+), they bolt to the hub and the wheel then bolts to the adapter. The wheel never bolts to the hub, this is a weak link. Some people swear by them and have never had an accident but I think it is an accident waiting to happen. I cannot think of any sactioning body, SCCA for example, that would let that type of set up on a track, the reason, they are not strong enough. For that same reason I would not run them on the street either. Sorry for the long rant.

Just from my point of view, WHY would you want 17 x ANYTHING?

The Zed cars came out with much the same rolling diameter or dynamic radius for wheel & tyre combination as most other performance Nissan/Datsuns of the same era.

That figure, give or take is 305mm and the optimum tyre is a 245/45 x 16 which will fit nicely on 8 or 8.5 inch rims. Test rim was 8 inch which will give you the optimum width of tread on the road and not stuff up your speedo readings.

Go bigger in diameter or smaller and you loose tyre on the road.

Cheers,

Dennis in Oz

I believe this question has been asked so many times by so many people! A simple search of the archives will reveal a load of post on just this subject.

Myself, I have 17" x 9" wheels on the rear of my 240. No rubbing with the stock flare however, I do have sectioned struts, coilover shocks w/ 8" free length springs, and 235-40 x 17 Yokohama's.

The question was asked...Why would you want 17" x anything? Because you can, that's why. Why do some people like black shoes as compared to brown shoes? Because that's what they prefer. Wouldn't life be boring if everyone walked the same path!

well the reason i'm going with 17 is because when i bought my car it came with 17" wheels. the tires are 215 45 in the front and 225 45 in the rear i figured the rims were 8" wide. i like the look of the 17s and the tires are practictly brand new so that would save me money if i just bought the rims. the wheels that are on it are konigs, not sure what style though.

Just from my point of view, WHY would you want 17 x ANYTHING?

The Zed cars came out with much the same rolling diameter or dynamic radius for wheel & tyre combination as most other performance Nissan/Datsuns of the same era.

That figure, give or take is 305mm and the optimum tyre is a 245/45 x 16 which will fit nicely on 8 or 8.5 inch rims. Test rim was 8 inch which will give you the optimum width of tread on the road and not stuff up your speedo readings.

Go bigger in diameter or smaller and you loose tyre on the road.

Cheers,

Dennis in Oz

For me the 255/40-17 has a wider tread width with same diameter. I used to have the 245/45-16s but now I have more grip with the 17s.